cageymaru

Fully [H]
Beat Saber may have become the first VR title to sell more than 1 million copies. Beat Games co-founder and CEO Jaroslav Beck thinks the secret to the game's success is "It is super intuitive." He also credited his team for creating a game that didn't crash and didn't lead to motion sickness. "'The code is super polished,' Beck said." In addition to today's release of the paid DLC "Monstercat Music Pack," the developers are considering adding new genres of music to the game and more self-published free music. Beat Saber currently maintains a 97% positive approval rating on Steam.

Beat Saber surpassed the one million unit milestone in February, according to Beat Games co-founder and CEO Jaroslav Beck, who credited word-of-mouth for most of the game's success in a recent interview with Variety. "We did zero PR whatsoever," Beck said. "We didn't expect that it would blow up that crazy."

LOL. The secret to the game's success is: Lightsabers! I had to try it even before I knew it was intuitive or had polished code, just because Lightsabers!
And yes, games where you stand in one place in the gameworld, like this and BoxVR, are the funnest... until someone can offer a realistically purchasable 3D treadmill.

LOL. The secret to the game's success is: Lightsabers! I had to try it even before I knew it was intuitive or had polished code, just because Lightsabers!
And yes, games where you stand in one place in the gameworld, like this and BoxVR, are the funnest... until someone can offer a realistically purchasable 3D treadmill.

it's just so simple and employ VR well, love the game myself :)

They nailed the feel down. It just plays so well and is nice and responsive. And I don't know about you all but I feel badass when I pull off some sweet streaks. That and with allowing 3rd party song creation, they made a great product! I see harmony came out with a music vr game but it just didn't look as fun.

I played it at a LAN party a couple months ago. Really made me consider purchasing a VR setup. Who knew "simple" but fun games would be so popular?

Everything about this game is just smooth. It really takes advantage of VR in one of the best ways I can think of. It is immersive in a way unlike most other games, in that once you put the headset on and start your song, you're so into it that you forget about everything. The controls are incredibly easy to pick up. The modding scene is huge and active.

Anyone with a VR headset (including PSVR) that doesn't own this game, go buy it.

This is my go to game when I’m showing someone how awesome VR gaming can be at my place.

I highly recommend computer users check out beatsaver for custom tracks you can add to the game.

I even got a Rancid track and a few Offspring songs because I’m a dirty punk. They don’t have anything more underground but if you like Linkin Park man, hella songs you can download.

This game really makes VR awesome.

I must call this out.
"and didn't lead to motion sickness."
AAA titles don't test for this in regular games like Overwatch and the original launch of Witcher III (although they later did fix the FOV slider). So to see a VR maker take the proper time to get this right really makes me want to own their products as this is the #1 thing that destroys my gaming experience. The last few Tombraider games also were not quite the right FOV and caused motion sickness as well and I had to locate and deploy hacks to be able to play without throwing chunks. So this is thrilling to hear.

I just don't get the allure... It's a dumb version of guitar hero or dumber version of dance dance revolution in which those offer a way better experience. That is, for those that like that sort of thing. Gimmicky and boring.

I just don't get the allure... It's a dumb version of guitar hero or dumber version of dance dance revolution in which those offer a way better experience. That is, for those that like that sort of thing. Gimmicky and boring.

You actually don't have to understand why someone likes something different than you. Fun does not require complexity, it just comes down to the individual. After a day of laying out circuit boards and troubleshooting, sometimes i just want to slash at boxes with lightsabers.

Asteroids had a terrible plot line and pacman didn't have very intricate level design, but dammit they are still fun!

I must call this out.
AAA titles don't test for this in regular games like Overwatch and the original launch of Witcher III (although they later did fix the FOV slider). So to see a VR maker take the proper time to get this right really makes me want to own their products as this is the #1 thing that destroys my gaming experience. The last few Tombraider games also were not quite the right FOV and caused motion sickness as well and I had to locate and deploy hacks to be able to play without throwing chunks. So this is thrilling to hear.

With VR, motion sickness is a very real thing. It's just a built in side effect with having your entire viewing field engulfed by the headset screen with no real world frame of reference.

About the AA games....I honestly don't think it's a thing that is tested much at all since motion sickness is pretty uncommon for regular, non-VR, games.

I dont see the need for a vr headset. This could run on nintendo wii..
How ya gonna force a player to duck and move between pillars on a wii? You can cheat and just move the controller and hope it's accurate, this forces you to move and go.

Along with the independent hand piece needing to be very accurate

No multiplayer? Games shit!

Really enjoy this game though. Also second that it is one of my 3 demo games when we do public setups. Normally space pirate simulator, beat saber and the plank experience “generally provides the best reaction”

I must call this out.

That's like highlighting that Tetris doesn't cause motion sickness.

You don't move in this game, so of course it won't cause motion sickness.

Full motion in a 3d world is what causes the motion mismatch that leads to motion sickness in many people.

I will say though, not sure I can swallow $13 for 10 more songs with their new pack. Though on the other hand it does support them to keep working on it. hmm

"dumber"? Okay. Neither of those other two games are in VR for starters. It also has a pick up and play ability that most everyone gets. No instruments. No looking at your feet.
Everyone who comers over and plays it, it quickly becomes their favorite game I show them in VR. They will play it to exhaustion from the first go.

Last edited:
I will say though, not sure I can swallow $13 for 10 more songs with their new pack. Though on the other hand it does support them to keep working on it. hmm
TBH I'm buying it just to support them and downloading more songs from the internet.

Gotta keep them funded but I hate electronic music. Really hate electronic music.

This is so close to flow arts!! Just get some poi or a staff or a set of clubs if this game gets you going. Seriously. Circus art is wonderful and makes people happy.

No multiplayer? Games shit!

Really enjoy this game though. Also second that it is one of my 3 demo games when we do public setups. Normally space pirate simulator, beat saber and the plank experience “generally provides the best reaction”

There is a multiplayer mod. I can't speak to how it works, but I saw it in my "all-in-one mod loader" that I use for custom songs. GitHub Link. UploadVR also did an article showcasing some tweets from Beat Saber's official twitter page stating that they were working on multiplayer.
Quick Edit: The Beat Saver mod manager is the one I use.

The game wouldn't be so popular without the mod support. The base game comes with like 15-20 songs, with mods you can download (or make) any song you want. Plus mods add more sabers, platforms, color options, better GUI, and even avatars if your into that. The base game is great, but the mods add longevity.

The game wouldn't be so popular without the mod support. The base game comes with like 15-20 songs, with mods you can download (or make) any song you want. Plus mods add more sabers, platforms, color options, better GUI, and even avatars if your into that. The base game is great, but the mods add longevity.

I wish more devs/producers would also understand that.

Anyone who was alive to live thru the Nintendo Wii craze? :p
I debated adding /s to the end of my post, but it wasn't totally sarcasm.

The great thing when I played this, was that the screen was also duplicated on a projector so everyone else could watch your run.

Back