VR Jive: Budget PC Test Island 359

HardOCP News

[H] News
John Gatt over at VR Jive put Island 359 to the test on the budget VR rig he just built and the results were less than stellar. How bad was it? This image says it all.

When I first watched the trailer for Island 359 I was excited, the idea of hunting dinosaurs from my own home in VR gave me a big smile then I thought about it and started to worry if my AMD RX-480 was up to it. So I lashed out and got it worst case would be that I would have to run it on low setting right?

For comparison purposes, you can see our GPU VR performance evaluation of Island 359 here.

Yup. Totally expected that. From the review here on [H].

"These two graphs above show "Low" and "High" IQ presets in Island 359. For all intents and purposes all three IQ levels GPU Render Time performances are almost identical. This surely tells us that we have a driver issue that needs to be addressed by AMD. While the Fury X was 2ms faster than the RX 480, its performance is not scaling correctly either and is 'broken'."

Yup. Totally expected that. From the review here on [H].

"These two graphs above show "Low" and "High" IQ presets in Island 359. For all intents and purposes all three IQ levels GPU Render Time performances are almost identical. This surely tells us that we have a driver issue that needs to be addressed by AMD. While the Fury X was 2ms faster than the RX 480, its performance is not scaling correctly either and is 'broken'."

It took almost 3 hours to get over the motion sickness after doing that. I worked on a fishing boat for a year in my younger years and never got sea sick.. It was a first for me. I owned the game for over a month before I had the guts to give it a go after reading Kyle's review.

Wow, AMD needs to fix this, its not as if the rx400 came out last week.
My whole goal this coming year was to build a budget VR machine and the 480 was top of my list. I figured after [H]'s VR reviews AMD would have fixed it by now. Thankfully i picked up the 1060. Been team red for a long time but i just could not bring myself to go with the 480. I did a lot of research, reviews, forums, and comparisons. One thing i noticed about specs... Back when AMD took the lead 4870 or 5870... cannot remember, but i noticed the pixel fill rate was higher vs nvidia, then nvidia took back the lead.. gtx 480? anyway..i noticed they had higher pixel fill rates and kept that lead right up until now. Could that effect VR performance? I dont really understand how pixel fill rates correlate to fps so im not sure if that spec matters. Just something i noticed while researching. Great review.

I think the Bare minimum for good VR is a GTX1070 at least for now.

Hopefully Single Pass Stereo, Simultaneous Multi Projection and Asynchronous reprojection might help.

Back