VR Gaining Traction in the HardForum

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I watch the HardForum keyword tags just to keep abreast of what our readers are interested in. Generally it goes like this....GPU. CPU, whatever. This morning I noticed that "VR" was one of our biggest tags being used in the HardForum.

Tag pic here.

While we do have a fairly active VR & Head-Mounted Displays subforum, I was surprised to see VR being pushed up so high in the ranks. That all said, I am still waiting for the VIVE DELUXE AUDIO STRAP to go on sale, hopfully soon.

LOL! And just what I was expecting and not how the tagging system works here. So nope.

The strap goes on sale Friday I thought. Definitely getting one of those. Would like to get a Tpcast but that Intel announcement has made me reconsider that for now.

It's always funny to see the VR hate though. Of course it's far from perfect but the current consumer PC form adds a whole new dimension, literally, to PC gaming that no, you didn't try in the 80s and 90s. Haven't gotten in Star Trek Bridge Crew yet myself, that's what'll I plan to do this weekend but this might be the first VR classic that was conceived from the ground up in VR. So far a LOT of praise for this game especially for its MP.

Last edited:
Sounds like people are desperately trying to find some actual content or games to justify the investment. I had a chance to try PS VR and HTC Vive and it's very cool but there's nothing to back up the cost or pretty much use it on other than a few tech demos and indie games. Nothing solid that is. Second gen HMD are bound to be close as well so some folks likely myself are probably holding out on upgrading.

Sounds like people are desperately trying to find some actual content or games to justify the investment. I had a chance to try PS VR and HTC Vive and it's very cool but there's nothing to back up the cost or pretty much use it on other than a few tech demos and indie games. Nothing solid that is. Second gen HMD are bound to be close as well so some folks likely myself are probably holding out on upgrading.

Not a lot of deep content but I wouldn't say people are starving, maybe starving for that "thing" they really want, I think ST BC is one thing that will "engage" people looking for deeper experiences.

I also was going to be an early adopter of VR because of the flight sim I used to play. Since I figured out that games are just an unnecessary waste of my time (and competitive games caused me extra stress, too) I just quit it. I haven't regreted it perhaps a few drunken weekend nights aside.

The was true monday. Its not anymore. Star Trek Bridge Crew came out.
Its amazeballs.

You gotta realize VR is like in the pong days, but back then we didn't have a similar platform to compare it to... so, yea, they're making progress fast but until it's caught up to current PC gaming lots of people will feel it's just garbage and how dare those vr developers keep them starving at the gates, poking them in the eyes with pitchforks and chopping their heads off with katanas... I mean how much further can you milk the current premise with no real shift in plot or character development, we need another series altogether called "Fear the VR" and it's different because... well, oh, I'm not sure how yet but get back to me after a few seasons...

You gotta realize VR is like in the pong days, but back then we didn't have a similar platform to compare it to... so, yea, they're making progress fast but until it's caught up to current PC gaming lots of people will feel it's just garbage and how dare those vr developers keep them starving at the gates, poking them in the eyes with pitchforks and chopping their heads off with katanas

VR is new experience though. VR doesn't have to catch up with current PC gaming experiences but improve on the experiences it can provide. For something that's really only been out in this form for around a year the progress has been amazing I think but there's still a long way to go.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Fallout 4 VR can't come soon enough... E3, baby.
I'm honestly wondering how the hell that's going to work without causing motion sickness. That's been my biggest barrier to VR, I want to explore large game worlds, but don't want to vomit either.

As cool as roomscale is, I'd like to see a few more games try out having you seated and use traditional movement instead of the teleporting. I tried playing HL2 and TF2 a bit back when the DK1 was new and they weren't that bad for motion sickness. They had a bunch of other issues so I didn't play them that much but seems like something to try again, this time without horrible UI and interface issues :) You'd still need to adjust to it I think, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about falling on your ass. If there is a native VR game/demo for the current gen that takes this approach I missed it.

The was true monday. Its not anymore. Star Trek Bridge Crew came out.
Its amazeballs.
But it only works in coop. It's one thing to have a VR set, but it's completely another thing to get 3 others who have it too, and also ready to play it. That 1 in 1000 chance. Unless I missed something and it's playable with less than 4 star trek fans in the same room with VR sets.

Don't get me wrong I also think the game is awesome, but I don't see how could I get 3 of my friends to buy vr sets just for one game.

But it only works in coop. It's one thing to have a VR set, but it's completely another thing to get 3 others who have it too, and also ready to play it. That 1 in 1000 chance. Unless I missed something and it's playable with less than 4 star trek fans in the same room with VR sets.

Don't get me wrong I also think the game is awesome, but I don't see how could I get 3 of my friends to buy vr sets just for one game.

ST BC allows for cross-platform MP so that helps tremendously with this issue. But playing with friends that all have VR setups, even a PS4 setup, sure that's a tough one.

I play QuiVr, Space Pirate Trainer and Elite Dangerous every day. The only flat game i have played in the last year was Doom 2016, and that was only because i broke my foot and couldt play room scale anymore. No one needs to jsutify anything, the tech works and there is solid software for it.

Edit: second gen hardware is going to come no earlier than mid-2018. We might se new players come in, but we are stuck with the existing HMDs for a while.

There are AI crew members you can use and so far its been no issue getting games online.

Well it cost the equivalent of a graphics card update and it's totally new and sometimes awesome. Certainly noticed the difference a bit more than that jump from very high to ultra.

Yes getting up to 1440p and then 4K is sorely needed, but i love it. The potential for the future is insane as well. High resolution tracking with vr gloves for finger level dexterity, yes please. Even playing bridge crew and using both hands to multitask shows how elegant control systems will be in future games

The fresh thinking for games with regards to movement is definitely needed though. I never get motion sickness, no problems with heights etc but the 'walk' mode instead of teleporting in something like Arizona sunshine makes my knees go every time (so I turn it off)

All new form factors go through that learning period though, find out what works.

Here's a little embarrassing one though, Getting ready to build a house and I'm genuinely trying to work the man cave to have a 4*4 area I can clear for it. Like I'm not sad enough already

Personally, I'm bored. While I like the shooting games and their mechanics (the same way I burned up like 3 days worth of quarters at the Contemporary Resort Hotel's shooting gallery in the lobby arcade, who's with me!?!?!?!....<crickets>) I'm waiting for something AAA, branded, that "just works". PCars, ACorsa.....the VR feels tacked on (lighting inside the cockpits of PCars for example, is unrealistic and distracting)
I also was going to be an early adopter of VR because of the flight sim I used to play. Since I figured out that games are just an unnecessary waste of my time (and competitive games caused me extra stress, too) I just quit it. I haven't regreted it perhaps a few drunken weekend nights aside.

This is a sad cry for help :(

I have heard Star Trek: Bridge Commander is pretty awesome. Not going to pay $50 for it but I'll pick it up on sale.

the wife is waiting for the Vive head strap as well...we have 2 Oculus CV1's and a DK2 and 2 Gear VR as well and she likes the audio of the Oculus a lot...she will be all over the Vive strap like a bum on a bologna sandwich

Last edited:
I have heard Star Trek: Bridge Commander is pretty awesome. Not going to pay $50 for it but I'll pick it up on sale.

I was thinking the price might be a problem but it looks like it's not. It would be hard to pay for better reviews especially for a game based on Star Trek IP which almost always never do well though I was a big fan of Elite Force and it was pretty well received IIRC. I'm just glad this looks to be a hit not only for the sake of this game but for VR gaming. This was an important title to get right especially the multi-player.

Okay, as a VR noob (besides futzing with a Samsung Gear VR for my Note 4 which overheats every 10 minutes) I guess it's a good as time as any to spring for the Vive?

I'm one of those whose helping to fudge this VR forum stat, I suppose, and though I'm not yet a VR user, I'm working pretty hard to figure it out. I didn't even know the Pimax 4K unit existed until stumbling across the thread about it here, for example, and for the cockpit based stuff I would use VR for (racing, flying), it appears pretty promising. But in order to make it my "go to" it's gonna have to be better than using a big, wide, full-size projected image...and I'm not convinced yet it's better. Maybe as-good-as, but not necessarily better, and I already have the projector (and a lot of experience and seat time with it).

Unlike Boonie (who's getting out), I'm getting back in after about a five year layoff (new PC parts mostly all here now). rFactor2 supposedly has a workable VR version now, and I'm told AC works too. Not sure about iRacing.

[BTW, if it matters, I'm typing this on a PC running a Linux Live CD--if anyone is keeping stats on that too].

Okay, as a VR noob (besides futzing with a Samsung Gear VR for my Note 4 which overheats every 10 minutes) I guess it's a good as time as any to spring for the Vive?
Find a Microsoft store that will let you demo it first. When I did, it left me somewhat...underwhelmed.

So, stupid question: why the audio solution? I'm not (yet) particularly interested in VR, but I had figured that I'd be able to use a set of premium cans with it. How much do you give up here?

So, stupid question: why the audio solution? I'm not (yet) particularly interested in VR, but I had figured that I'd be able to use a set of premium cans with it. How much do you give up here?

People use big headsets. I personally went with small ( 1.7 oz but $100 ) Sennheiser over the ear headphones. My kids use it so I wanted to minimize weight. In ear is kind gross if multiple people use it. Also makes it harder to hear, "watch out for that wall!!"

Find a Microsoft store that will let you demo it first. When I did, it left me somewhat...underwhelmed.

Steam now has approximately 1100 VR only and an additional 200 VR supported titles, sure a lot of shovelware, that's true of traditional gaming as well, but a very considerable library for something that's only been around a year and still very niche. It's not for everyone but I think far from a fad. I don't see myself giving up on VR out of choice. I actually get a lot of enjoyment out of some of the simpler stuff like escape room games. Indeed for people that don't have a lot of time to game there's a lot of fun to be had in some of the quick and dirty stuff.

@-IdiotInCharge

you can most assuredly use your premium cans , what you will eventually be considering is the weight of the HMD and your headphones together. The Oculus CV1 built in head phones sound reasonably good and the new head strap/audio that is coming will add the "built in" feature to the Vive HMD. I can assure you that I have used mine with my Parrot Zik headphones and liked it , but depending on how your headphones fit you will have other things like straps and possibly cables that will be of consideration when looking for the "fit".

Steam now has approximately 1100 VR only and an additional 200 VR supported titles, sure a lot of shovelware, that's true of traditional gaming as well, but a very considerable library for something that's only been around a year and still very niche. It's not for everyone but I think far from a fad. I don't see myself giving up on VR out of choice. I actually get a lot of enjoyment out of some of the simpler stuff like escape room games. Indeed for people that don't have a lot of time to game there's a lot of fun to be had in some of the quick and dirty stuff.

In a way I think the super hardcore gaming crowd that wants to play one or two content heavy titles for 8-12 hours a day is the group that is least satisfied with VR gaming right now. For that crowd the content may not be there. I do a decent amount of gaming and between a few choice non VR titles like Factorio and my VR lineup I find myself with more than I can play.

My girl really liked the Oculus Rift at the MS Store a few weeks ago. We tried it again with the Touch controllers yesterday. She LOVED it. Told her the Vive was like what she did but better and, yeah, we're getting a Vive this Friday when we get paid.

Have the perfect space for it and all that. I told her I'd get one used so that eased us into it and they seem to be holding value decently so even if a month or two down the road we find ourselves not using it we can just sell it for what we paid most likely.

No harm, no foul. We'll get to play Rick and Morty in VR and fuck around with all the cool shit and then we'll see the staying power after that. I really enjoy sims though so even if it isn't used every single day all day I see myself using it a bit.

We'll see! Wish me luck...

I'm glad that Google is in the mix, competition and mass adoption is great for consumers on price and media to support the devices. Win win
Was really excited to hear they pushing for higher displays (10k) and using foveated rendering tech to help the bandwidth issues.... could see a new golden age of gaming in the next few years.

VR is like 4K. It is a fad, nobody wants them. They need to go back to 17" 1080p screens and stop trying to make shit nobody wants.

In a way I think the super hardcore gaming crowd that wants to play one or two content heavy titles for 8-12 hours a day is the group that is least satisfied with VR gaming right now. For that crowd the content may not be there. I do a decent amount of gaming and between a few choice non VR titles like Factorio and my VR lineup I find myself with more than I can play.

That is my take on it. As someone who has limited time to game, I want to spend the small amount of free time I have playing the best games available. That almost always means AAA titles which don't exist on VR (unless you consider VorpX).

I can also safely say that I can wait out the VR churn out after having spent a decent amount of time playing with it. I will be on board when the games I want to play are on VR and it coincides with a better hardware product. With that said, I certainly appreciate all the early adopters helping to make VR happen.

Back