VR Finally Gets a Quality RTS With "Brass Tactics"

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Brass Tactics has come out for the Oculus Rift and UploadVR is giving it a glowing review. Fans of the genre will be happy with the classic RTS style gameplay set in a steampunk setting. The game's campaign has 4-6 hours of content, and the whole game features 20 different maps, multiple armies, as well as both cooperative and competitive multiplayer.

I must say even though I'm not a huge RTS fan, this looks like a lot of fun. Now I just need to get an Oculus so I can give it a try.

Brass Tactics is a big step forward for RTS games in VR. The tactile feeling of picking up, directing, and interacting with units using your own hands is excellent and the mixture of single player, as well as both cooperative and competitive multiplayer, all adds up to one of the most feature-rich strategy games we’ve seen yet. It lacks some of the depth and complexity of its modern non-VR counterparts, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a more competent and engaging RTS in VR right now.

I'd get a Vive, mainly for native SteamVR support. Oculus is great, but has smaller room scale, and lately games like LA Noire: VR Case Files don't work properly on Oculus. Using 'Revive', Oculus games work well with the Vive. This is just my opinion. Brass Tactics looks like a lot of fun, and as time goes on I hope to see many more AAA PC VR games to choose from.

No thanks. I hate RTS games where I have to control groups of units and I can't control just a single unit. Looks good though and I would love to play some Dungeon Keeper or Dungeons III in VR. Although, I'd like actual gloves for those games, so you can actually grab your minions and slap them.

downloaded the free version last week and very much enjoyed the game. Had planned on buying the full version this weekend. And i am not a huge player of rts games.

Been keeping an eye on this - -just bought my copy on the oculus store for 25 dollars as a preorder (it's release later today apparently) Glad I still got the preorder price before it goes up to $40 regular.

Had fun with the demo, looking forward to playing with a buddy :)

i have a new threadripper system coming in 3 weeks.. gonna finally be able to play around with VR and the rift i have had for some time

There is no escape from the floaty hand syndrome in VR I guess. A couple of games have perfected it but 99% of the others I guess haven't figured it out. It looks like it will give you a giant crick in your neck also always having to look down. This looks horrible. Can't knock it I guess till you try it but the video is just awful. There are too many VR fanbois that give some of these VR games way too much credit.

Last edited:
Back