VR Being Used to Bring about Empathy

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This article talks about a range of tech being used in the medical field with a bit of focus on VR. The gist is that doctors and other health professionals have declining levels of that impact patient satisfaction. Who would have thought that not giving a damn about the person you are supposed to be helping would be perceived as negative?

That new thinking, of course, has some tech experts crying foul. Robert Yang, a game developer and professor at New York University's Game Center, wrote in a recent blog post that the lauded U.N. film “is an extremely cynical use of pain and suffering” to sell people on the power of VR. Walking a mile in someone's shoes, he argues, sometimes comes dangerously close to simply appropriating their shoes.

Of course make sure you don't "appropriate" those folks suffering....Jeez.

That new thinking, of course, has some tech experts crying foul. Robert Yang, a game developer and professor at New York University's Game Center, wrote in a recent blog post that the lauded U.N. film “is an extremely cynical use of pain and suffering” to sell people on the power of VR. Walking a mile in someone's shoes, he argues, sometimes comes dangerously close to simply appropriating their shoes.

I don't want a doctor who empathizes with me. I want a doctor to give me cold hard facts.

I can see this in medical school so they do get first hand experience with diseases and they can recognize symptoms better. That'd be a better use for it I think.

A Doctor who is empathetic with their patients will soon get burnt out. Imagine them going home everyday thinking about the person(s) they couldn't save or the bad news they had to give. If they make it personal, it'll consume them from the inside. Just need a Doctor who is professional and fact driven.

I'm not going to a doctor until they are done practicing.

16024747.jpg

I don't care if my doctor has the bedside manner of House as long as they're good at their job.

Back