VPS providers (alternatives to Dreamhost)

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
Without getting into it, I hate Dreamhost, so I'm looking for another provider. All I need is 128mb ram, a dedicated IP, and root-enabled shell access (i.e. dedicated). I'd really like it to run Debian but any Linux is good. Bandwidth will be minimal for the time being (small startup company). My ideal budget is <$20/mo.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Always had a wonderful experience with WiredTree.

Support answers / Ticket responses within half hour usually.

Highly recommend ASmallOrange and Linode. Both have excellent support, in my experience.

Disclosure: I know the founder of ASmallOrange but we have a regularly priced server from them.

In your budget range, I really like Linode and Slicehost. I've used them both before, using Linode right now. Both have pretty nice custom control panels, allow you to select one of several distros for deployment (I use Debian 5.0 too), and have pretty fast and friendly service.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Basically, I'm (almost) a certified Linux admin so I don't need any sort of control panel, that's one of my main reasons for hating DH (their shitty "panel" thing that makes no sense) :p

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Basically, I'm (almost) a certified Linux admin so I don't need any sort of control panel, that's one of my main reasons for hating DH (their shitty "panel" thing that makes no sense) :p

The control panels are for managing the VPS, not the actual distro. Things like destroying your instance, creating new virtual disks, deploying a new distro, and getting a web-based console in case you accidentally lock yourself out from remote access. :cool:

Here's the Linode Deploy Linux screen:
linode_deploy_screen.png

Haha yep, I just signed up for Linode, wow I love it. As you said, this is what (and all) the panel should be! :D

Haha yep, I just signed up for Linode, wow I love it. As you said, this is what (and all) the panel should be! :D
Nice. I'm on Linode too and I love it.

Being a web developer that's worked for many clients, I've used many VPS and Shared hosting for both Windows and Linux and so far I've liked Linode the best (although I hear Slicehost is good, but Linode at had a better price point for the budget packages).

Last edited:
Back