VPN Server Setup in Windows XP

I am having some issues with a VPN server I am setting up. I guess I will start with the first one. When I establish a VPN connection, on the client side, I can't resolve internet addresses. It seems as if its trying to resolve IP addresses via the VPN connection, which should resolve I believe. Is there anyway to disable this so it doesn't attempt to resolve IP addresses via the VPN connection? I only want to do file sharing via the VPN.

In the advanced portion of the tcp/ip properties you uncheck the "use remote gateway" option. This is done on the connecting machine.

Thanks that worked perfectly... now the other problem I am having is related to IP address and NETBIOS. When I setup the VPN Server, I am asked to specify two choices for TCP/IP address assignment. The first says Assign TCP/IP address automically using DHCP. That doesn't specify whether or not is my router thats functioning as a DHCP or windows. Furthermore it appears that the server and client are both assigned IP addresses on the same network. The second option says, specify TCP/IP address, and lets me input a range of addresses. When I establish a VPN connection, on the client side, I goto use the netbios name of the remote computer I am trying to access and it doesn't work. How do I make this work? Thanks again.

civic00typer said:
Thanks that worked perfectly... now the other problem I am having is related to IP address and NETBIOS. When I setup the VPN Server, I am asked to specify two choices for TCP/IP address assignment. The first says Assign TCP/IP address automically using DHCP. That doesn't specify whether or not is my router thats functioning as a DHCP or windows. Furthermore it appears that the server and client are both assigned IP addresses on the same network. The second option says, specify TCP/IP address, and lets me input a range of addresses. When I establish a VPN connection, on the client side, I goto use the netbios name of the remote computer I am trying to access and it doesn't work. How do I make this work? Thanks again.

So you're trying to VPN in to a server somewhere else and connect to a node on the remote network that you have just connected to?

we had problems with that until we setup two completely different ranges at each site

for example
site 1 10.1.x.x
site 2 10.2.x.x

transversals went fine at that point

Well the problem I am having is that some services on the vpn server I am trying to access, such as exchange server, are not resolving because I need to have an IP address that resides in their subnet. Any ideas?

I am not sure if this is correct, but it appears that the VPN server I setup in Windows XP is only capable of sustaining one connection at a time. Is this correct????

Back