VPN question about file shares

maxpower1119

Limp Gawd
The computer im trying to access is not logged on to the domain. However from the server box (Windows 2003 Server) I am able browse to the computer I want to access via vpn (its called flyest, and is part of "workgroup"). When I log on to the vpn, I can see workgroup but it wont let me access it. Gives me an error message about permissions. Is there anything I can do without haveing flyest join the domain.

The exact error message "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server tro find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

The way I am trying to browse is by going to network places/entire network then I click workgroup.

Is there a local account on the remote machine that matches a domain admin account on the domain? That local account granted local admin rights?

What is doing the VPN? Hardware providing a "site to site VPN?"

It doesnt have to have admin, just set up a user account on the host machine for the vpn machine. Then add the account to the security and share tabs of the share.

For purposes of troubleshooting, I was shooting high. Once established he can peel back the layers for security.

Im sorry im really confused. Would the remote machine be the one that im connecting to the VPN with. Ill try to explain my situation better. I want my laptop (called LAPPY) to be able to log in to the VPN (the vpn is on a win2k3 server machine called SERVER). SERVER is on the same network as FLYEST (the computer im trying to get the shared files from), but they are only connected by the switch. FLYEST is not logged on to the domain. But from SERVER, I can browse the shared files on FLYEST. I want to be able use LAPPY to log on to the Vpn and browse the shares on FLYEST.
Sorry for the confusing post. Its my first time with server 2003 and im just trying to learn.

maxpower1119 said:
Im sorry im really confused. Would the remote machine be the one that im connecting to the VPN with. Ill try to explain my situation better. I want my laptop (called LAPPY) to be able to log in to the VPN (the vpn is on a win2k3 server machine called SERVER). SERVER is on the same network as FLYEST (the computer im trying to get the shared files from), but they are only connected by the switch. FLYEST is not logged on to the domain. But from SERVER, I can browse the shared files on FLYEST. I want to be able use LAPPY to log on to the Vpn and browse the shares on FLYEST.
Sorry for the confusing post. Its my first time with server 2003 and im just trying to learn.
use the IP address of that FLYEST machine on the network. Perhaps the DNS is not propagating to your end machine.

such as \\192.168.1.123\Share instead of \\FLYEST\Share

if it asks for a login name, just use a local accound on the machine :)

hopefully that helps you

Back