VPN Permissions Problem: User can't DHCP on the virtual adapter?

ZeroX

2[H]4U
Okay, I'm setting up a VPN over Sonicwall hardware for a sattelite office for a client. Here's the issue:

The DHCP for the main office is handled by a Windows 2000 Server, and the DHCP for VPN clients is handled by the Sonicwall itself. Now, the users on the domain that has been set up in the main office have a fairly restrictive set of rights. Now, I can log on as a domain user from the sattelite office since the user has been logged on in the main office and the password/settings are stored, so their domain permissions are still intact.

The problem is, when I log on as Administrator/Local Machine and fire up the VPN, it connects fine and gets the IP for the virtual adapter created by the Sonicwall software. When I log on as User/Domain, the key exchange is completed, but the virtual adapter never gets an IP.

I'm entirely convinced this is a permissions error. Can anyone think of anything to be done to allow a domain user permission to alter the virtual adapter in order to get an IP? Thanks for any help.

Can you start the VPN Service on the remote site as a service and give the service needed permissions?
Also why is it that you are not running some system as a remote gateway and have you tunnel be Point to Point instead of Point to multipoint?

The VPN Service is running on the Sonicwall hardware firewall, not on the windows network on any of the servers. The tunnel is established between a remote client and the Sonicwall itself, which forwards requests to the rest of the network.

Originally posted by bigstusexy
The remote is another sonicwall or...
I see, I misread you before.

No, I never thought of doing that. Unfortunately, I ended up deciding to have each user log in to the local machine with admin priviledges just to make my life easier. It seemed like a dirty way to do it, but it needed to be done.

Back