VPN for SMB-- ASA 5505?

O2Flow

Limp Gawd
Ok so here's the deal:

I've been looking at setting up some VPNs for local SMBs. As far as I can tell, the best route is the ASA 5505, using the 5 UL pack. Any thoughts? I like the newer client they use and honestly I don't want a custom nix box or anything. Just something I can configure and not have to worry about it later.

These are about $200 on eBay. Anything else I would need? It's just for Joe Blow to connect from home and do basic stuff. I've messed with OpenVPN and it's just not practical for my needs IMO (too much config to deploy quickly, etc).

So...can I assume every ASA comes with user licenses of some sort? If I have access to *cough* recent IOS versions *cough* I should be good to go without smartnet, right?

If you want SSL VPN get the anyconnect Essentials 25 pack. It allows the Cisco Anyconnect VPN client which I like much better than the older IPSec client

If you want SSL VPN get the anyconnect Essentials 25 pack. It allows the Cisco Anyconnect VPN client which I like much better than the older IPSec client

Isnt Cisco also dropping support for the older IPSec client?

Also k1pp3r wrote me up quite a nice template to setup vpn on an ASA5505 awhile ago. It was most helpful.

Just search "The Cisco Template Thread"

If this is just for one or two people then you can still use the AnyConnect client. Even the base 10-user limit ASA5505 will let you do two concurrent SSL VPN sessions.

Yep - every ASA is licensed for at least 10 concurrent VPN connections, with two of those being AnyConnect SSL VPN (the other 8 being IPSec).

There are seperate VPN license packs as well as the Security Plus pack (which is rather expensive, not necessary for your application).

Agreed.
SSL VPN is where it's at...especially if you want your cell phone to remain quiet at night. Easy to use and problem free.

Oh god did I hate the days of troublesome IPSec VPN software...and clients calling me all evening hours cuz of //this problem and //that problem. OK..lets uninstall your freaking IPSec software, reboot..and reinstall it again. Problem gone. Easy fix..yeah, but the fact that my phone rang at night doing that drove me nuts.

SSL VPNs came out...replaced most of my clients IPSec VPN setups with SSL VPN, or Untangle and OpenVPN...and those evening support phone calls disappeared. So nice! :D

Yes SSL VPN is soo much better. Our new VPN uses it. I also have Open VPN at home which I sometimes use to connect from work. It's rock solid.

Back