VPN: Easy question I hope.

Rahh

[H]ard|Gawd
Whats the best way of taking over a clients machine that are connected through VPN so that I may show some of our older generation employees how to setup their e-mail and such with out playing puppets over the phone. Probably a really simple thing to do, I just havent ever done it and am still learning all the good stuff. Consider me a virgin. :)

Depends on how they are configured. The easiest tool is VNC, because they can see what you are doing when using this utility and it is free. But this is dependant on having the ports open for this program to operate. If they are running winxp they can send you a remote invitation and it would serve the same purpose just takes more time.

Can I send them a invite for them to accept for me to share their desktop? They are already connected to our server through VPN seems like there would be an easy way to connect up to them to control their computer.

If they are connecting through a VPN you don't need to forward ports since you are going directly to their private LAN IP.

Using XP - remote access invite must be sent from their computer to YOU.

I vouche for VNC as well.

edit; you can d/l ultraVNC for free. It works quite well.

if u want to use it more often, NetOP is pretty cool as well. The teacher version is just plain awesome, becuase you can add all computers that you want to administer at the same point in a "classroom". Then you can take away their ability to do anything on it, and you can show then how you are doing it on your computer. Afterwards you can just give them back their control and then you can still observe them.. I find that tool awesome!

Back