VPN client listen on VPN server

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Hard to explain what I want to do in title, so here it is. I want a specific client on my network to connect to a VPN server that has an internet (non NAT) IP address, and I want that client's ports to be accessible via that external IP. Ex: Say I have a VPN server running on a VPS that has the IP 123.123.123.123 and the VPN client is behind a NAT at 10.11.10.10, and is listening on say, port 80, I want to be able to connect to 123.123.123.123:80 and it goes to 10.11.10.10:80.

Is this possible to do? It does not actually have to be a VPN or even encrypted. I'm thinking a VPN would be the easiest way, but not sure if it's even possible.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is make my Wii U work for online play, and it requires a LOT of ports to be forwarded, some of them are already in use on my network. The port forward requirements are quite ridiculous, the ENTIRE UDP range, and a bunch of TCP ports including 80, 443, which I am already using for other stuff.

So basically I just want to give my Wii U a dedicated outside IP address for it to listen to, but my ISP only gives 1 IP. I have a dedicated server that has several IPs, so I could basically setup a VM on it and use one of those IPs.

Essentially from a network standpoint the Wii will be in that VM.

Or is there an easier way to do this?

Also I already have a VPN server setup on my local network (where the Wii is) so if there's a way to do this where the internet VM connects to the VPN server as a client, that may be easier. Basically a persistent connection then some kind of bulk port forward.

Yes, learn how to use a firewall and fyi your Wii U works fine behind NAT. Use UPNP which is much more sane than what you're trying to do.
//Danne

I replicated this a few minutes ago. I installed IIS on a remote back-up machine that we have sitting around across town that is connected via OpenVPN. I setup a website to run on it on port 8081, just the simple IIS splash page. I can access that website via the vpn address. I went into pfsense and forwarded port 8081 to the vpn address of that remote server.

I then remoted in from home and accessed our WAN:8081. Nothing... made sure firewall was off on the IIS server. Nothing in the firewall logs. Ran traces on pfsenses WAN inteface and it showed the traffic hitting the WAN. Looked at the state table and it showed it being forwarded to the right IP. Installed wireshark on the server and saw the request come in.

Bascially yes. The networking side of it is working. But I dont know why IIS is being a douchebag and not respond to it via the NAT'd IP.

Just tried it with FTP rather than HTTP. Works like a charm. Latency is shit though.

Its set to listen on all interfaces, perhaps the virtual interface just isnt supported.

Nonetheless, the FTP server worked.

You still need to bind website to IP as far as I can understand the second post and/or you need to tunnel it the internal IP (IP of the locally connected NIC).
//Danne

When I say its listening on all interfaces that includes the virtual tap/tun adapter as well.
http://imgur.com/1MEbhKD

Works: Office PC ----> OpenVPN int ----> OpenVPN client

Doesnt work: REMOTE PC ----> WAN ----> OpenVPN int ----> OpenVPN client

If my goal really was to host a website on a VPN connected server I might spend more time on this, however this little experiment cut into taking screenshots for my openvpn tutorial thread

Good to know that it can be done, I will have to read up further on it and experiment.

UPNP is a security risk as far as I know so I turn that stuff off, but even with it on it was not working.

You're doing it wrong, if you're paranoid just tell miniupnpd to listen on your Wii U's IP.
//Danne

Back