Vpn and firewall for home

obviouslytom

Fully [H]
I am getting a vpn and firewall for home and the one item I am confused on is the IP from my isp. I have been told that I need to get a static IP for my home in order to have it all work properly. Is this something that I have to do?

It really depends on your ISP and your use case. My initial thought is that you are being "upsold."

I have dual ISP and have had the same IP from both for several years. I have a friend in PA that can't keep an for a week. One of the difference is my gear is on and up 24x7x365. He powers everything down when he goes to bed or leaves the house. I treat my IPs as static knowing that I will need to make updates in places when they change. Where I am able, I use DNS to minimize any updates I would need to make should the IPs change. You can use ddns to automate these changes though I do not. Using a dynamic IP has never caused an issue here despite running multiple vpn tunnels over each link.

If you can get fixed IP addresses (IPv4 and IPv6) for minimal cost then great. But it's not needed. Dynamic DNS (DDNS) should work just as well. Most home/SMB/SOHO routers have a DDNS client built-in.

non-static IP doesn't hurt my VPN/firewall at all. It changes every blue moon and that's about it.

Back