VPN advice and Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I do NOT even know how to phrase the question I am asking. I do not even know if I am asking the correct question.

Please help me with all of it.

I’ve ordered the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro (UDM Pro) and should get it this week.

Hopefully soon I will be getting Starlink and fiber. I will hook them both up to the UDM Pro. I believe the UDM Pro does fail over, but hopefully it’ll do balancing (they’ve said that for some time, but that is another issue).

Anyrate. I would like to protect ALL my data in my house. Is the correct method using a VPN at the level of the UDM Pro? I want it to be as trouble free for each client on the network as possible. Basically I would like to configure the UDM Pro and that’s it. No need to go to each client and load VPN software.

Eventually I would like to connect to my Synology server, and my camera system (I can do neither right now since my bandwidth is a MAX of 8/1) remotely.

Am I even on the right track?

Am I even on the right track?
Somewhat. I'm not sure if the UDM can do multi-wan, but if it can, it should be easy enough to get working.

As far as 'protection' from VPN usage, that's not going to be as good as a UTM running on the firewall/router since all it is doing is just re-routing the traffic to the Internet at a different on-ramp.

Reactions: Liver
like this
Somewhat. I'm not sure if the UDM can do multi-wan, but if it can, it should be easy enough to get working.

UDM-Pro cannot do multi-wan load balancing but it can do failover. A couple of the ea releases for it had load balancing but they still haven't released a public firmware for it.

The new Dream Wall and Dream Wall Pro are supposedly shipping with load balancing capabilities but they are currently early access and you never know what's going to end up happening with them.

I am fairly certain the UDM-Pro can NOT do load balancing.

Aside from the Dream Wall (Pro), is there another Ubiquiti product I should be looking at? I can resell the UDM-Pro easily.

Allegedly (strong emphasis), we should be getting Starlink by June (its shipping) and 2 gig fiber by July (not holding my breath on that). My current PepLink multi wan router can not handle that much bandwidth, so I have to upgrade to take advantage of this new level of bandwidth.

As far as 'protection' from VPN usage, that's not going to be as good as a UTM running on the firewall/router since all it is doing is just re-routing the traffic to the Internet at a different on-ramp.
It can. Same with the Dream Machine Special Edition which is what I ordered yesterday. Multi-wan for failover and soon if not already load balance.

I would recommend looking into pi hole for dns filtering. Now you can setup a VPN tunnel for when your devices are remote and want the same level of protection from anywhere.

I couldn’t resist. I bought the UDM-Pro (as I stated above) and saw that the UDM-Pro SE was in stock this morning.

I ordered that too. Both are on the way.

I will be using the security / cameras from Ubiquiti as well, I’ve read that the SSD really helps with video playback via the app.

I couldn’t resist. I bought the UDM-Pro (as I stated above) and saw that the UDM-Pro SE was in stock this morning.

I ordered that too. Both are on the way.

I will be using the security / cameras from Ubiquiti as well, I’ve read that the SSD really helps with video playback via the app.
I know they have a bunch of name changes, but did you get the Dream Machine Special Edition or the Dream Machine Pro? The DMSE is the newest one with more features than the regular Pro.

I know they have a bunch of name changes, but did you get the Dream Machine Special Edition or the Dream Machine Pro? The DMSE is the newest one with more features than the regular Pro.

I apologize. It’s the UDM SE. There isn’t a UDM Pro SE.

I will have them both by the end of next week, the UDM Pro and UDM SE.

Are you going to return the Pro then, no real reason to have both?

Are you going to return the Pro then, no real reason to have both?

Yes sir. Return or resell.

I wanted the SE for the SSD because of the improvement to playback with the cameras. However the Pro and the SE have been out of stock so long, when I saw the Pro in stock, I jumped on it.

I did not expect the SE to come in stock anytime soon and I have Starlink dish incoming. So I needed something to handle it.

They are using a small SSD for caching? They still have the HDD for main video storage?

That’s my understanding after reading reviews and watching videos. The Pro version does not have the SSD. They both have the same app, same firmware, etc. People have commented the playback, going back and forth on the video is much faster with the SE because of the SSD.

I also bought an 8 terabyte drive at the same time.

Otherwise they are identical in that regard.

Mine just got delivered today. :) Maybe this weekend I'll get it up.

Back