Voyager 1 Fires Up Thrusters after 37 Years

It is asinine to not apply the scientific method to a belief system or diety as a scientist.
I may have missed it but nobody has said scientists apply the scientific method to every part of their life, especially religion. Most scientists, dare I say all of them, are well aware of the contradiction but they've managed to reconcile the two in their own ways.

I brought this up to a group of friends who are professionals in a couple different industries, well educated, and a few that are religious. A few of them had the same viewpoint that science in itself is a religion. Science requires you to believe that the conditions of the universe will remain constant; gravity, physics, laws of nature, etc... I find this absurd and disagree whole-heartedly but can see their point.

A few of them had the same viewpoint that science in itself is a religion.
This statement is beyond ridiculous.
Science requires you to believe that the conditions of the universe will remain constant; gravity, physics, laws of nature, etc... I find this absurd and disagree whole-heartedly but can see their point.
This is also false. So many people have such a poor understanding of the scientific method.
2013-updated_scientific-method-steps_v6_noheader.png

This statement is beyond ridiculous.

This is also false. So many people have such a poor understanding of the scientific method.
2013-updated_scientific-method-steps_v6_noheader.png
Again, right there with you on the belief that it is absurd but their point is that you have to believe that universal constants will remain universal constants at all times between the time you form your hypothesis and you perform/complete your testing. You have to believe or have faith that gravity will not suddenly alter itself or that light will continue to travel at it's constant speed.

Back