As much as I like to mock the Verge's PC build video, it was probably his first computer build. When I built my first PC I installed a Pentium 2 @233 without a cooler on it, thus burning it out within minutes of use. The first PC I bought had a Pentium 90Mhz in it and one of the updates was to flash update the bios which I always did whenever I reinstalled the OS. One time I got frustrated and shut off the PC during a bios update, thus bricking the machine.

That being said if this was the guys first PC and the Verge didn't care enough to watch his video for mistakes that's on them. Nobody was watching me or helping me build a PC for the first time so that's on me.

Right, but this was also supposed to be an instructional video. We all make mistakes, we all learn, and we’re all at different stages, but when you’re a large media organization attempting to produce what essentially is a tutorial, then you better make sure you get it right.

Holy sh**!
I'd never even seen or heard of this video before...wow!
I keep looking for somebody to jump out shouting 'April fools day'.
How did he get every single high-point of a tutorial PC build video so wrong?
Heck!... even the IO shield looked weird.
How did Capital One come to put their association behind that train-wreck?
It has nothing to do with racism, people picking on the presenter or any such nonsense.
It has everything to do with a horrible video.
This was a 'train-wreck'.
I was embarrassed for him.

Last edited:
lol, it's really embarassing.

Everything is a brace or a bracket.

The RAM is next to eachother, the CPU has a gallon of paste on it, and the radiator was mounted without fans.

Is this for real? Never reading the Verge for anything again - not that I did to begin with.

Right, but this was also supposed to be an instructional video. We all make mistakes, we all learn, and we’re all at different stages, but when you’re a large media organization attempting to produce what essentially is a tutorial, then you better make sure you get it right.
Yeah, i am not mad at stefan -- i assume his expertise is in journalism or broadcasting and was assigned this task with no support or prior experience. A company the size of verge should vet their content better.

For example, the company i work for has a media and marketing department -- but they don't have any expertise in the content they are tasked to create. Departments lend subject matter experts to help facilitate that depending on the need or scope.

Yeah, i am not mad at stefan -- i assume his expertise is in journalism or broadcasting and was assigned this task with no support or prior experience. A company the size of verge should vet their content better.

For example, the company i work for has a media and marketing department -- but they don't have any expertise in the content they are tasked to create. Departments lend subject matter experts to help facilitate that depending on the need or scope.

Yeah, but dude was defending himself while playing games on it and never once mentioned this time crunch.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/stefanetienne

I do not think he studied in journalism-broadcasting, he had an tech blog since he was a kid and went to a school named: New York Institute of Technology that seem to offer very little journalism class, he probably told them during an interview that he knew computer quite well (and maybe really thought he did, young enough to be from a generation that thing using and interest in computer mean you know about them).

The verge interviewer should have ask the type of question to detect the usual people wanting the jobs and saying what you think you want to hear or the editor of the magazine catching the final product

Yeah, but dude was defending himself while playing games on it and never once mentioned this time crunch.

Employers generally don't like their employees publicly attacking them whole they're still employed. There's usually something about that in employment agreements.

I mean, on one hand you can blame the company, but it's also on him partially if he didn't admit he was unqualified.

But I can understand. I mean sometimes I am asked to do things I've never done and I'll say yes for the opportunity.

But maybe not if it's a live video that's broadcasting to millions of people...

I mean, on one hand you can blame the company, but it's also on him partially if he didn't admit he was unqualified.

But I can understand. I mean sometimes I am asked to do things I've never done and I'll say yes for the opportunity.

It is certainly partly on the employee, but it was a non live, very heavily edited affair, that show a lack of editorial qualification going on has well, which in modern high content-low revenue media world can be understandable, but still show the overall knowledge that can be going on for something that call itself a technology blog. Someone unqualified does not necessarily know that he is, if he ran a techno blog for a long time and was gaming, playing around on pc for a long time, could be a very mild lie or not even one if delusional enough.

And unqualified will tend to be subjective, how many people that cover video card for example coded just one shader in their life, a bit of openGL or Vulkan on their own or someone else engine, let alone a bit of hardware-drivers (which is a very low bar, not even being particularly good at it, just having done some of it), the explanation about something like AMD Smart Access memory technology did not feel like people are necessarily that qualified (reading someone like John Carmack commenting on some video cards news feel completely differently than the usual reviewers-blog), there it did appear obvious to us because even if we known very little of what is going on we did put together computers, but that level of incompetence is maybe quite common. When you think about it, someone quite good about computers at any level will not often take a job in a publication (instead of a making quite the money at Nvidia-amd-intel, etc...) or necessarily be a good communicator, thus most people in that line of work do not feel to ever made hardware or even software in their life or to know even just very little (and can end up thinking that just putting part together and using them is enough).

Last edited:
Well yes, that is part of it. The more I become an expert in a topic, the more I realize that most people talking about it on the internet know next to nothing.

But the articles themselves are well written, so if I read a cooking blog or travel guide (or whatever I'm not an expert in) it may sound official and knowledgeable but it may be as much BS as the Verge video.

Well yes, that is part of it. The more I become an expert in a topic, the more I realize that most people talking about it on the internet know next to nothing.

But the articles themselves are well written, so if I read a cooking blog or travel guide (or whatever I'm not an expert in) it may sound official and knowledgeable but it may be as much BS as the Verge video.

That's certainly true, and I'm glad that there are efforts to make how to comprehend internet information mandatory classes for high school students. Chief among those skills being vetting and verifying data from multiple sources. It's why I often use forums to get my information. Yes, you have to filter a lot of random posts in order to get the information you want, but the discourse itself often gives you hints on which posters are credible and which ones aren't.

How can you blame the guy? Makes a complete ass of himself on the internet yet still has people lining up to defend him and eventually gets "rewarded" with a meaningful interaction with Linus.

Does this guy provide any merit? Of course not. But he obviously understands the system he's working in - and boy he worked it. It's like Forrest Gump, except instead of a feather in a wind, we have this genius drifting through the tech world.

I just hope in ten years he gets a medal, because we all know he deserves it.

Employers generally don't like their employees publicly attacking them whole they're still employed. There's usually something about that in employment agreements.

Lol saying there was a time crunch is attacking an employer?

1631736368240.png

Facebook has examined this thread and their "fact checkers" have decided that everyone needs to go to jail... well, because it's fun.

Back