Seems rather scummy to blame it all on the director considering Stefan's reaction that was captured from Twitch.
Seem also more normal (skillset wise), for a director or (the guy doing the editing in adobe) engaged for a video to not know about computers and rely on the tech expert journalist hired for is computer knowledge on camera. The publication editor (that should know a lot himself), seem more to blame and the director of the video, but I know nothing about that in general and even less on their particular setup they had.

Somehow I missed this glorious video until now. He put the CPU in last.... *eye twitches*.... he put the CPU in last...... HE PUT THE CPU IN LAST.

I feel like I'm watching a teen build his first PC (where these mistakes would make sense).

Somehow I missed this glorious video until now. He put the CPU in last.... *eye twitches*.... he put the CPU in last...... HE PUT THE CPU IN LAST.

I feel like I'm watching a teen build his first PC (where these mistakes would make sense).
I made that same mistake...
When I built my first PC at 15 years old.

If anything the smart move would be to parody their own bad video, own that shit and make it gold in the process.
Totally agree, you have to accept you sucked in the first place to move forward with that plan. Many people have issues with that.

Looking back, yes it was a horrible build. Buy my God everyone on the Internet thinks they are the 'best' builder. The whole topic is toxic. Just start a thread about thermal paste application to see what I mean.
I remember Kyle doing a video where he very clearly disclaims, "we aren't saying you should do it this way, or that it's the best way - but it's how we're going to do it." It was probably application of thermal paste or something.

My first three PC's used slot CPU's, much easier to install later. In fact only recently with HSFs that bolt through the motherboard (I know they've been around for a while, but I've been on AMD only since 2000, never bolted the hsf to the motherboard until my ryzen build).

Buy my God everyone on the Internet thinks they are the 'best' builder.
I think a bunch of people on the internet like making building a PC into something it's not. It's not hard, and you need almost zero technical know-how to do it. So they get into giant debates about mundane differences that really don't matter much.

Basically Linus gives him a chance to redeem himself and do it right, and they explain why some decisions were made.
but did they explain the tweezers? that was seconds into the video, insta fail IMO. tweezers?

Never watched the Verge video, but I've seen clips of the paste, lol.

I mean, I've heard people say you can never use too much paste (as long as it is non-conductive).

In any case, I switched to graphite pads and they are way better.

I mean, I love you like a brot[H]er, but I practically need a second opinion.
It's Linus and the dude from the Verge riffing on the old video and also making a bunch of funny mistakes.

Still definitely NOT how you should build a PC, but it's entertaining to watch.

Seem also more normal (skillset wise), for a director or (the guy doing the editing in adobe) engaged for a video to not know about computers and rely on the tech expert journalist hired for is computer knowledge on camera. The publication editor (that should know a lot himself), seem more to blame and the director of the video, but I know nothing about that in general and even less on their particular setup they had.

Well, lets be honest, the guy wasn't going to throw his bosses under the bus until he no longer worked there. Why burn bridges if he can just blame the internet for being jerks and claim racism. If I remember right this drama got fueled because the Verge before their build video had claimed tech tubers were not real journalists like them or something a few months before.

Well, lets be honest, the guy wasn't going to throw his bosses under the bus until he no longer worked there. Why burn bridges if he can just blame the internet for being jerks and claim racism. If I remember right this drama got fueled because the Verge before their build video had claimed tech tubers were not real journalists like them or something a few months before.

Didn't hear about that part. The primary reason this really blew up though was the copyright strikes against small channels. Vox tried to become the neighborhood bully and everyone rightfully retaliated.

Uhh I watched most of it and the guy still comes across as not knowing what he's doing. Not sure if that was on purpose or not but if this was for some sort of redemption I would've expected that he was a little more prepared in explaining things at the various points through out the video that Linus was cueing him in.

I thought it was a good video (the latest one) watched it yesterday. I must have built dozens and dozens of PCs over the past 20+ years but yeah, I still forget to do stuff in my excitement of bringing life to new parts.

Remember, he who never made any mistakes never learned anything.

As much as I like to mock the Verge's PC build video, it was probably his first computer build. When I built my first PC I installed a Pentium 2 @233 without a cooler on it, thus burning it out within minutes of use. The first PC I bought had a Pentium 90Mhz in it and one of the updates was to flash update the bios which I always did whenever I reinstalled the OS. One time I got frustrated and shut off the PC during a bios update, thus bricking the machine.

That being said if this was the guys first PC and the Verge didn't care enough to watch his video for mistakes that's on them. Nobody was watching me or helping me build a PC for the first time so that's on me.

As much as I like to mock the Verge's PC build video, it was probably his first computer build. When I built my first PC I installed a Pentium 2 @233 without a cooler on it, thus burning it out within minutes of use. The first PC I bought had a Pentium 90Mhz in it and one of the updates was to flash update the bios which I always did whenever I reinstalled the OS. One time I got frustrated and shut off the PC during a bios update, thus bricking the machine.

That being said if this was the guys first PC and the Verge didn't care enough to watch his video for mistakes that's on them. Nobody was watching me or helping me build a PC for the first time so that's on me.

Not his first build, but he said that the original plan for the video was to be much longer. However, the day of they suddenly changed their minds and wanted the entire build filmed in an hour. I believe he also said he didn't even get to see the final video until it was too late to make any changes.

Ram doesn't need to be installed before the CPU

"Ultra Durable" was some feature branding which Gigabyte did, for a few years. And they would often use blue heatsinks.
and the ultra durable referred to the extra copper in the board, better power components and rounded pcb corners, iirc.

face palm. not going to watch this, i just can't bear the cringe
can anyone sum it up for me lol
Dunno, I started to watch the video he said "It was one of my first builds on camera..." and then I was like "Why do I care?" and turned it off. Hell I completely forgot about it until I saw this thread, which is exactly how things should be when they're bad... forgettable. I'd much rather remember the good shit that is put out on Youtube *snicker*, I mean it's not like Linus puts out dozens of videos each week and forces them out regardless if they're needed or not...

Not his first build, but he said that the original plan for the video was to be much longer. However, the day of they suddenly changed their minds and wanted the entire build filmed in an hour. I believe he also said he didn't even get to see the final video until it was too late to make any changes.
That's what he said but it looked like that was his first build. The mistakes aren't because they filmed it in an hour but because he's a novice. I haven't watched the Verge video in a while but things like not putting memory in the right place seems more like something I'd expect from someone who hasn't built a computer before. Him being with LinusTechTips is just his way of separating himself from that disaster of a video. Someone who builds PC's as a hobby probably wouldn't make those mistakes within an hour. To be fair to the guy, someone who knows computers should have watched the video before releasing it on YouTube.

I thought it was a good video (the latest one) watched it yesterday. I must have built dozens and dozens of PCs over the past 20+ years but yeah, I still forget to do stuff in my excitement of bringing life to new parts.

Remember, he who never made any mistakes never learned anything.
I wish that was true where I worked. People keep making the same mistakes and never learning.

That's what he said but it looked like that was his first build. The mistakes aren't because they filmed it in an hour but because he's a novice. I haven't watched the Verge video in a while but things like not putting memory in the right place seems more like something I'd expect from someone who hasn't built a computer before. Him being with LinusTechTips is just his way of separating himself from that disaster of a video. Someone who builds PC's as a hobby probably wouldn't make those mistakes within an hour. To be fair to the guy, someone who knows computers should have watched the video before releasing it on YouTube.

First build on camera. So add being incredibly rushed to being inexperienced and likely being very nervous. Plus, keep in mind that the entire time wasn't spent building. They had to set up for specific shots, do different angles, and so on. It's not like you just sitting down for an hour and building with no interruptions. Plus, he's definitely a novice so the distraction of being rushed combined with that, its easy to understand why so many mistakes happened.

I've built more PC than I can count, but you put me in front of a camera, tell me I have to teach people to build, follow some kind of script, and then tell me I'm on a tight time limit with little to no time for reshoots. Yeah, I'm going to make a fuck-ton of mistakes. There's not a single person here that wouldn't, unless they're already incredibly comfortable in front of a camera and have a lot of experience building in that kind of environment.

Yeah, I've probably built at least like 50 PCs, maybe more, and I still make mistakes.

My last 2 builds were flawless, but I also spent quite some time planning and reading the manuals, doing everything carefully. For a full build it takes me about 3 hours, no way I could do a good job in 1 hour.

On my of my past builds recently, I put the CPU power connector in upside-down. It seemed to fit and I couldn't really see it well, but the machine didn't turn on. I fixed it and no damage, but even with experience you can make mistakes.

Back