did you watch the original video of The Verge it it was very bad (and it got past 12 people before it was posted, as they was credited i believe in the end of it lol)

don't get why wait 6 months before pulling this stunt (google should promote the bad build reports and videos when people google The Verge) probably should not be posting there name as gets the google search bots attention (like i wont post Tom H due to past epic fails)

I am feeling very tempted to ignore you just for atrocious grammar.

I warned that would happen. I warned that companies would use DMCA to go after critics and competition through shutdown notices. I warned that government was overstepping its bounds with DMCA, and it would favor big corps with lots of lawyers

The DMCA was written by the big corps with the lawyers to benefit them and it passed because they lobbied heavily for years to get it passed.

It was always obvious what the DMCA would do and that it was a bad law but to play the "govt. always bad" card here is obtuse.

Same way the Sonny Bono copyright extension law was passed.

You want better laws you've got to ban or heavily limit the lobbying AND ban the businesses from writing the laws too.

VOX was started by Ezra Klein who is a DC elitist liberal douche so what did you expect?
Vox Media and Vox are 2 different things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_Media

Vox is the Lefty news site while Vox Media is the owner and was started by another group of people in 2005.

Its Vox Media that are acting like idiots here and abusing the DMCA take down system not the Vox news site.

The Verge are either inept and don't discuss things with the Vox parent, or utter hypocrites. Not sure which.

Either way, they're getting rightfully slammed for this.

Not to mention ligation will bleed the youtubers dry because they aren't getting revenue from their channel because its been striked. Verge has reserves to last until the individuals are broke. Corporate bullying tactics, the big guy can out last the little guy.
Ligation is actually the process of stopping the bleeding. You need to tell that autocorrect to stop messing with your mind.

Ligation is actually the process of stopping the bleeding. You need to tell that autocorrect to stop messing with your mind.
I have to disagree with you on that, litigation keeps you in the court and drags things out and can be very expensive.

litigation
the process of taking a case to a court of law so that an official decision can be made; legal proceedings that may lead to a full trial
Because the defendant refused all attempts to reach a settlement, the claimant had no choice but to continue the litigation.

I have to disagree with you on that, litigation keeps you in the court and drags things out and can be very expensive.

litigation
the process of taking a case to a court of law so that an official decision can be made; legal proceedings that may lead to a full trial
Because the defendant refused all attempts to reach a settlement, the claimant had no choice but to continue the litigation.
Yes, but your post said ligation.

ligation - the surgical procedure of closing off a blood vessel or other duct or tube in the body by means of a ligature or clip.

I thought the original video by the Verge was a parody, since no one could be that incompetent, lol.

Until you see that it was sponsored by CapitalOne... Sad stuff and it went from bad to worse. I sure hope it was this guy's first build and he surely shouldn't be showing other first timers how to build a PC. At least he didn't totally fuck it up and bolt motherboard flush to the case without standoffs as I've been this done by same kind of know it all builders. I hope they take this video down as it's almost insulting to anyone building a PC, especially enthusiast building. First timers looking at this video probably not going to want to build their PC.

The Verge put out a response explaining their DMCA takedowns (archive so they don't get clicks).

https://archive.fo/RsLyx

They took down Bitwit's video for him, a man of Asian descent, playing an Asian stereotype and calling Lyle "a pretty racist character." How you can take a video down on those grounds escapes me.

Other videos they're claiming they used "90%" of their video with no cuts or edits.

The Verge put out a response explaining their DMCA takedowns (archive so they don't get clicks).

They took down Bitwit's video for him, a man of Asian descent, playing an Asian stereotype and calling Lyle "a pretty racist character." How you can take a video down on those grounds escapes me.

This whole thing look worse to me now. They didn’t pull down Kyle’s video because it made them look bad, they pulled it down because he was being racist?!? Lol

Other videos they're claiming they used "90%" of their video with no cuts or edits.
That is some mind bending high test bullshit.
I'm impressed at that one.
Couldn't load the link, but no big deal

Honestly, I never saw the video or critical videos until now.. ( if i did i totally forgot).. Figured back then it would be some exaggeration and nitpicking .. oh boy, was I wrong.. that video should have been pulled and replaced quicker than what it was, and issued an apology.. it would have been less of a deal than what it was.. but now obviously they are making things way way way way way worse... Just who was the vindictive short sighted decision maker?

My guess is some moron got promoted over the fiasco of the video instead of being fired. What we're seeing right now is a direct result of that. The moron is likely not looking good regarding his performance since then and needs something to increase exposure fast and this was the result. Even if most of the reactions are bad, it's basically free advertising and more clicks in the short term.

I

Yes and no. The US is the worst in that the plaintiffs don't have to pay back the defendants in the case that they lose. In the EU, the loser of the court battle has to pay all of the legal fees for the winning side, which makes such battles much rarer. There's a reason more than 70% of the world's lawyers are US lawyers.

Eh. Double-edged sword. On one hand, it probably causes parties to think long and hard about bringing an action. On the other hand, it has a suppressive effect on legitimate plaintiffs that can't afford to lose.

To that point, I would think it also would amplify the advantage towards those with money to spend and money to lose.

How many YouTubers would pony up for litigation over a video that won't generate a ton of revenue with the prospect of not only losing their own legal fees, but those of the opposing counsel which are almost certainly billing very generously? Not many.

Eh. Double-edged sword. On one hand, it probably causes parties to think long and hard about bringing an action. On the other hand, it has a suppressive effect on legitimate plaintiffs that can't afford to lose.

To that point, I would think it also would amplify the advantage towards those with money to spend and money to lose.

How many YouTubers would pony up for litigation over a video that won't generate a ton of revenue with the prospect of not only losing their own legal fees, but those of the opposing counsel which are almost certainly billing very generously? Not many.
Eh, you could seek legal council, and if they determined you had a sure win (better yet, if they could guarantee it in writing), I'd pull all the stops if I knew they'd pay my legal fees. If they said my case was shaky or a sure loss, then I'd consider alternatives. Of course, being the defendant, the plaintiff bears the burden of proof...how are they going to prove something that's mine is actually theirs? Of course, before even going to court, it'd be a good idea to discuss how I violated their copyright in the first place and determine whether I even want to fight it, since it may actually be a legitimate claim.

The defense is against the takedown. Or counter-suit as your content was legal, their claim was illegal.

Technically, its a legal defense. You use fair use as a defense in a lawsuit to argue that you didn't violate someone's copyright and the judge or jury (depending on the trial) has the decide whether or not that defense is valid in the specific case.

A clear cut case like this one, any lawyer would love to jump in to take a sure win and get paid later. The longer it drags on, the better for them, as most lawyers don't need to be paid right away, they have enough reserved that they can wait a few months to win a case. It will greatly cut down on the number of lawsuits made for the purpose of pressuring a larger company to settle, and will make people think twice about cases that are on the border. Would forcing a Youtube channel out of business be worth several million in lawyer fees? If it's forced to drag on, and somehow the large company wins, the Youtuber would be filing for bankruptcy and they would be losing out on the lawyer fees anyways.

Yes, it's a double-edged sword, but one that has a much lower chance of backfiring than our current system. It's not like our current system protects the little guy against large companies dragging things out in any case.

Two scenarios can unfold in a long battle in our system:
Little guy wins: big company loses but successfully drags things out such that the little guy cannot pay the lawyer fees and loses everything.
Little guy loses: big company wins and the little guy loses everything.
In both scenarios, the little guy loses.

EU system:
Scenario 1: big company loses after dragging things out, little guy is able to claim lawyer fees and damages from the big company.
Scenario 2: big company wins and the little guy loses everything.

At least in the EU system, the little guy stands a chance of recovering from a lawsuit.

Last edited:
A clear cut case like this one, any lawyer would love to jump in to take a sure win and get paid later. The longer it drags on, the better for them, as most lawyers don't need to be paid right away, they have enough reserved that they can wait a few months to win a case. It will greatly cut down on the number of lawsuits made for the purpose of pressuring a larger company to settle, and will make people think twice about cases that are on the border. Would forcing a Youtube channel out of business be worth several million in lawyer fees? If it's forced to drag on, and somehow the large company wins, the Youtuber would be filing for bankruptcy and they would be losing out on the lawyer fees anyways.

Yes, it's a double-edged sword, but one that has a much lower chance of backfiring than our current system. It's not like our current system protects the little guy against large companies dragging things out in any case.

Two scenarios can unfold in a long battle in our system:
Little guy wins: big company loses but successfully drags things out such that the little guy cannot pay the lawyer fees and loses everything.
Little guy loses: big company wins and the little guy loses everything.
In both scenarios, the little guy loses.

EU system:
Scenario 1: big company loses after dragging things out, little guy is able to claim lawyer fees and damages from the big company.
Scenario 2: big company wins and the little guy loses everything.

At least in the EU system, the little guy stands a chance of recovering from a lawsuit.
Interesting... Very quickly you would have law firms dedicated to defend little guys at ' no cost if you lose' .. the business model is taking the cases with the best chance of winning, but still... I think it may be better

Never saw the video but if the PC worked and didn't overheat, I guess success? Sounds like this is just a huge nerd circle jerk.
This happened weeks or months ago and people still obsessing over it?

Interesting... Very quickly you would have law firms dedicated to defend little guys at ' no cost if you lose' .. the business model is taking the cases with the best chance of winning, but still... I think it may be better

IMO the EU system is better because the little guy has a chance of not going under if they get sued and successfully defend themselves. In our system, the only choice is to settle if the little guy can't afford to get in a long fight.

Never saw the video but if the PC worked and didn't overheat, I guess success? Sounds like this is just a huge nerd circle jerk.

No one was obsessing over it except for the idiots at Vox Media that decided to issue the copyright strike against multiple Youtubers. Watch some of the videos posted in this thread and you will see why getting a copyright strike is a big deal to Youtubers. It directly affects their ability to make money.

Also, just watch any of the reaction videos, especially the Lyle one. It was an atrocious build full of misinformation in the video.

It was chalked full of errors.

https://hardforum.com/threads/the-v...-built-a-2000-custom-gaming-pc-video.1967940/
Vox didn't like the mock videos, ......some melodrama from Verge IIRC.... and falsely copy right strike (CRS) them months later.
YT then reserved the strikes, now Vergey-Voxxy in damage control because they couldn't handle the crap they started.

It teaches people bad habits and did it work? Sure, but it wasn't performing any where near its potential. The video was backed by a huge company that claims to be a in the know tech publication. In reality they are a joke when it comes to their tech knowledge which was proven with their PC build.

Last edited:
IMO the EU system is better because the little guy has a chance of not going under if they get sued and successfully defend themselves. In our system, the only choice is to settle if the little guy can't afford to get in a long fight.

No one was obsessing over it except for the idiots at Vox Media that decided to issue the copyright strike against multiple Youtubers. Watch some of the videos posted in this thread and you will see why getting a copyright strike is a big deal to Youtubers. It directly affects their ability to make money.

Also, just watch any of the reaction videos, especially the Lyle one. It was an atrocious build full of misinformation in the video.

It teaches people bad habits and did it work? Sure, but it wasn't performing any where near its potential. The video was backed by a huge company that claims to be a in the know tech publication. In reality they are a joke when it comes to their tech knowledge which was proven with their PC build.
I watched the video. It wasn't so bad. Bare in mind that I've read exactly zero criticism of the video. I would put the PSU the other way so it isn't sucking in hot air but the direction it is facing will exhaust hot air from the case so it works either way. His terminology is incorrect on more than one occasion. I've never touched a liquid cooling system but unless you are over clocking, the stock HSF has always served me well.

If you follow the Verge, they mostly review Apple products and cell phones and rarely PC (at least the few times I've been to their site). Their lack of PC knowledge does not surprise me as much as it does some others.

I watched the video. It wasn't so bad. Bare in mind that I've read exactly zero criticism of the video. I would put the PSU the other way so it isn't sucking in hot air but the direction it is facing will exhaust hot air from the case so it works either way. His terminology is incorrect on more than one occasion. I've never touched a liquid cooling system but unless you are over clocking, the stock HSF has always served me well.

If you follow the Verge, they mostly review Apple products and cell phones and rarely PC (at least the few times I've been to their site). Their lack of PC knowledge does not surprise me as much as it does some others.

Yes, it was that bad. You never put that much thermal paste. You never put long screws through a radiator. Both of those things can cause serious damage to a computer, as a user can be using a capacitive thermal paste, and some radiators have the coolant tubing running right next to the screw holes, and driving a screw that far in will puncture the radiator. Some things were just poor form, others will cause damage.

Okay, they screwed up. Fine. Everyone screws up once in a while. What is inexcusable is their entire behavior towards the whole thing. Rather than correcting themselves, they insisted they did nothing wrong and called critics racists among other things. They disabled comments and likes/dislikes before finally removing the video. And then finally the copyright strike just when most people had already forgotten about it. Their copyright strike retraction statement was hilarious as well. Rather than apologizing, they tried to play the victim. The irony of all of this is that they themselves have published numerous articles on copyright strike abuse on Youtube.

A good person (and corporation) isn't one that gets everything right. Rather, it's how they handle their mistakes that define their character. Vox Media literally could not have handled this any worse, and became a prime example of "Do as I say, not as I do."

hopefully a few good things come from this:

1. Vox media dies of d*ck inhalation

2. Some younger people get insight into the hypocritical nonsense coming from the left.

3. Bitwit gains a ton of subs.

screw you Vox Media the internet never forgets.. y'all done ****ed up now... well repeatedly .. If I tried to think of the worst way to handle the situation I'd be hard pressed to improve on your ineptitude.

(edited to say Vox Media in last section rather than Vox.. for reasons.. What.. I made a mistake and then acknowledged it and corrected it... HOLY SH*T y'all see how easy that is Verge.. I even kinda made a joke out of it... you f*cking fucks need to handle criticism / learn how to cope with mistakes / failure.. because both happen in this life.)

Last edited:
Again, Vox Media isn't Vox the news site.

Vox Media was started in 2005 by a different group of guys.

ummm... ???? Vox seems to be part of Vox Media?? anyways.. whatever any sites below need to die of d*ck inhalation.

https://www.voxmedia.com/a/go-deeper/about

vox.png

ummm... ???? Vox seems to be part of Vox Media??
Being owned by them doesn't mean they have any say in what Vox Media does elsewhere with its other companies.

Quite the opposite actually.

In other words it'd be like blaming iD for something Zenimax or Bethesda did.

Vox the news site doesn't have anything to do with this story at all.

Any more politics or off-topic posts and this thread gets closed.

Well CareyHolzman seems to have gone mad over automatic content ID copyright claims on his videos on YouTube (seems like he is trying to get more views) he seems thinks the copyright claims are copyright strikes

his 13 min video has a lot of false accusations and his lack basic understanding of the YouTube copyright system

a copyright claim is not a copyright strike, 7 copyright claims will not shut down your channel it just simply takes the money from those videos assuming you don't press the dispute button which I believe he still has not done, seems he is waiting for them to be removed by Linus, if he doesn't press the dispute button they will stay claimed (typically) he seems to think it's not his responsibility to just press the dispute button

His 2 past live streams he has "the judge" as there titles so seems he

I don't recommend watching his channel directly as just watching him helps him overall (watch someone els who has done a talk over it)

Last edited:
VOX was started by Ezra Klein who is a DC elitist liberal douche so what did you expect? Seriously, I read an interview with him and the guy looks down upon anybody that doesn't live in a major city.

This is more about the First Amendment than anything.

Moving forward, I'd like to see [H] do a PC build video :)

Sorry, but the First amendment has nothing to do with any of this. it only applies to the government. an individual or a company cannot violate the first amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Notice the word "Congress"?

Edit: forgot to add, Vox Media is getting good exposure from this in their eyes, I guess any publicity is good publicity?

Last edited:
Sorry, but the First amendment has nothing to do with any of this. it only applies to the government. an individual or a company cannot violate the first amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Notice the word "Congress"?

Edit: forgot to add, Vox Media is getting good exposure from this in their eyes, I guess any publicity is good publicity?

The 1A should be amended to include corporations and/or large entities.

The 1A should be amended to include corporations and/or large entities.

No, no it shouldn't. It is doing what it is meant to do. Preventing the government from making laws to restrict your speech and expression. Youtube is not a government so they can pretty much delete or censor whatever they want. They are there to make money, not make us happy.

Though it seems youtube is rejecting some of these claims as invalid, which is good on their part.

Seems rather scummy to blame it all on the director considering Stefan's reaction that was captured from Twitch.

Back