Voodoo PC or Biohazard PC reviews?

BFGuy1741

n00b
I know that boutique pc makers like Voodoo pc and Biohazard charge a TON of money for the premium name, but so does overdrive pc (and they didn't do too bad). I am genuinely interested to see if these companies are on overdrive pc's level or if they are on widow's (no offense, but that would be unacceptable at these prices), and [H]ardOCP is the only site I really trust to review these systems thoroughly. :D

Voodoo is by leaps and bounds the very best there is out there IMO but boy does one pay for it. I think the question you should ask would be is any other company at Voodoo's level. Again though, they charge major mulah. You would expect nothing less that total care and the very best components with the very best paint jobs for what they charge.

I like Voodoo's machines the best. The wiring job is amazing. That said Falcon Northwest is excellent as well, bad [H] review aside. Alienware was the bees knees a few years ago, I think they went through some major growing pains, now Dell has snatched them up, so who knows. I for one think their systems look cool.

Chris_Morley said:
I dunno, what does Voodoo do that other companies don't?

Its no secret I'm a huge Voodoo fan, but also a subjective one. Over the years Voodoo has built a solid reputation for being cutting edge and is one of the most respected high end companies on the planet. They invented & epitomize the term 'luxury PC'. And in my opinion, are what other companies strive to be.

Rahul Sood (founder & chief of technology for VoodooPC) comes under fire for seemingly insane prices, but he is quoted as saying "the complete Voodoo customer experience is what you are buying", not just a fast computer, which is the basis for [H]Consumer reviews. Remember, 'speed can be bought' from anywhere.

VoodooPC makes sure you get what you pay for, the detail is simply astonishing. Many PC vendors put case windows on their systems, but few consider whether the systems interior is worth looking at. Voodoo invented 'stealth wiring' which is often imitated and very rarely duplicated. One look at Voodoo's new OMEN a :121 CrossFire and you should be shot for putting it under a desk. Fine crafted machine is an understatement.

OverdrivePC, Falcon-Northwest, Omni, Maingear, Velocity Micro (Raptor X), Biohazard, Real Machines, Alienware... <--- ALL CHARGE around the same amount of money for their flagship gaming pc's and a few of those are even more expensive than the Voodoo Omen. They are all striving to be what Voodoo already is and set precendent for.

Many members here on [H] give much hate for VoodooPC for some reason, probably because here on [H] it seems almost fashionable to hate big business and on what most can't afford, but they are entitled to their opinions no matter how misguided. I've seen the new Voodoo Omen, and couldn't stop staring. I've played F.E.A.R on it as well and felt like I was driving a fine luxury sport automobile.

The experience is what sets VoodooPC apart from other companies..all of it..from the gorgeous looks to the stellar performance and even trend setting. And for some reason, CHRIS, I already think you know that.

Wasn't Falcon Northwest the first? I know Mr. Sood started building PCs under the Voodoo moniker around the same time, but Falcon has always been regarded as the first. In 1998, when shopping for the first and only computer I ever purchased, there was Falcon, Kick Ass PC(defuct?) and Alienware to my knowledge. I bought an Alienware, my sales associate was Alex Aguila, the now President who is probably super-rich. It was a great computer(built in a garage, I believe). It only gave me problems once or twice, nothing major and technical support was great.

Dark Prodigy said:
Its no secret I'm a huge Voodoo fan, but also a subjective one. Over the years Voodoo has built a solid reputation for being cutting edge and is one of the most respected high end companies on the planet. They invented & epitomize the term 'luxury PC'. And in my opinion, are what other companies strive to be.

Rahul Sood (founder & chief of technology for VoodooPC) comes under fire for seemingly insane prices, but he is quoted as saying "the complete Voodoo customer experience is what you are buying", not just a fast computer, which is the basis for [H]Consumer reviews. Remember, 'speed can be bought' from anywhere.

VoodooPC makes sure you get what you pay for, the detail is simply astonishing. Many PC vendors put case windows on their systems, but few consider whether the systems interior is worth looking at. Voodoo invented 'stealth wiring' which is often imitated and very rarely duplicated. One look at Voodoo's new OMEN a :121 CrossFire and you should be shot for putting it under a desk. Fine crafted machine is an understatement.

OverdrivePC, Falcon-Northwest, Omni, Maingear, Velocity Micro (Raptor X), Biohazard, Real Machines, Alienware... <--- ALL CHARGE around the same amount of money for their flagship gaming pc's and a few of those are even more expensive than the Voodoo Omen. They are all striving to be what Voodoo already is and set precendent for.

Many members here on [H] give much hate for VoodooPC for some reason, probably because here on [H] it seems almost fashionable to hate big business and on what most can't afford, but they are entitled to their opinions no matter how misguided. I've seen the new Voodoo Omen, and couldn't stop staring. I've played F.E.A.R on it as well and felt like I was driving a fine luxury sport automobile.

The experience is what sets VoodooPC apart from other companies..all of it..from the gorgeous looks to the stellar performance and even trend setting. And for some reason, CHRIS, I already think you know that.
I know all about Voodoo, I did an article on them. Great guys, but I wouldn't put them on that pedastal...

http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODk0LCwsaGNvbnN1bWVy

natermeister said:
Wasn't Falcon Northwest the first? I know Mr. Sood started building PCs under the Voodoo moniker around the same time, but Falcon has always been regarded as the first. In 1998, when shopping for the first and only computer I ever purchased, there was Falcon, Kick Ass PC(defuct?) and Alienware to my knowledge. I bought an Alienware, my sales associate was Alex Aguila, the now President who is probably super-rich. It was a great computer(built in a garage, I believe). It only gave me problems once or twice, nothing major and technical support was great.
Falcon was the first, Voodoo likes to say they were in business one year prior, but there's no record of anything in print or on the web until about 6 years ago...

Dark Prodigy said:
OK, it's no secret I'm a Velocity Micro fan and customer, but I don't think Voodoo deserves the huge pile of praise they get sometimes, because ALL they offer is a nice paint job and a "psudo-famous" owner. Falcon does every bit as good of a pint job, but paint is but one feature of the "experience" that a PC company delivers.

Other important metrix are value, performance, support, and engineering. I am here to say Velocity wins over Voodoo and FNW in each of these catagories. They have lower prices for the exact same systems, are every bit as fast in most every major review over the past few years, typically shorter lead times, offer truly excellent 24/7 in house support and even on-site repairs (Voodoo and FNW can't send a guy out to replace even a bad optical drive because they are so small), and are right at the top for innovation in cooling solutions and routinely beat these others in time to market with the latest technologies such as custom designed aluminum cases, qual SLI, or the latest processors. (see what happens when Conroe comes out!)

I think these reasons put VM at the very top of the class and explain why they are the only "boutique" that is growing (and they are really growing) in this climate when Dell is trying to come back to gaming.

Probably also explains why Chris Morley is leaving [H] to go work for them!

HappyJack said:
OK, it's no secret I'm a Velocity Micro fan and customer, but I don't think Voodoo deserves the huge pile of praise they get sometimes, because ALL they offer is a nice paint job and a "psudo-famous" owner. Falcon does every bit as good of a pint job, but paint is but one feature of the "experience" that a PC company delivers.

u][/b]

There are many people pleased with the quality of machines that Velocity Micro makes here on [H] and I'm not disputing that, simply because I've never owned one or even 'test driven' one. I'm sure they are fine for what people want them to do as they seem to be solid blue collar type machines.

Falcon-Northwest's paint jobs are absolutely magnificent and they are a leader in that regard. I'm happy for you that you are a pleased Velocity Micro customer, but my post about Voodoo did not defame any other company nor was this post in any way about VM or what they offer, just offered expressed opinions on my dealings with Voodoo as compared to other boutique type builders as the originator of this thread asked. I'm even happy for Chris and his new job with VM, I think they will do well with him as he's one of the few that actually seems like a sharp guy.

Like In my original post, most people here on [H] give much hate to Voodoo and they are entitled to that opinion, as you are entitled to yours. But for the record this thread has nothing to do with VM.

BFguy1741 said:
I know that boutique pc makers like Voodoo pc and Biohazard charge a TON of money for the premium name, but so does overdrive pc (and they didn't do too bad). I am genuinely interested to see if these companies are on overdrive pc's level or if they are on widow's (no offense, but that would be unacceptable at these prices), and [H]ardOCP is the only site I really trust to review these systems thoroughly.

Dark Prodigy said:
There are many people pleased with the quality of machines that Velocity Micro makes here on [H] and I'm not disputing that, simply because I've never owned one or even 'test driven' one. I'm sure they are fine for what people want them to do as they seem to be solid blue collar type machines.

Falcon-Northwest's paint jobs are absolutely magnificent and they are a leader in that regard. I'm happy for you that you are a pleased Velocity Micro customer, but my post about Voodoo did not defame any other company nor was this post in any way about VM or what they offer, just offered expressed opinions on my dealings with Voodoo as compared to other boutique type builders as the originator of this thread asked. I'm even happy for Chris and his new job with VM, I think they will do well with him as he's one of the few that actually seems like a sharp guy.

Like In my original post, most people here on [H] give much hate to Voodoo and they are entitled to that opinion, as you are entitled to yours. But for the record this thread has nothing to do with VM.
Man, I don't hate Voodoo, there are actually only a couple of boutiques I really don't like. FNW and Voodoo have my respect, that's for sure! Voodoo was very cool to me when we ordered a system, and my hat's off to them in the customer service arena. I regret that I'll not be able to take a look at an Omen before I leave...but I'm positive that [H] Consumer will in the future. TBH, I really wanted to know why other peoples' perception of them was high. I wasn't challenging anything, but I'm honestly curious...

I have to admit, if I had $10k to spend, and I had to use it to buy one pc, I would go to only one company, and that would be Voodoo PC. That being said, you could buy 3 smokin pcs from velocity micro or build 4 of your own, but as Rahul said, you are buying the Voodoo pc experience, and I am interested if this "experience" is worth all he says it is. Here's hoping that [H]ardOCP will do a review of one of their desktop systems some time, so that I wil never be forced into this situation without some previous knowledge.

BFGuy1741 said:
I have to admit, if I had $10k to spend, and I had to use it to buy one pc, I would go to only one company, and that would be Voodoo PC. That being said, you could buy 3 smokin pcs from velocity micro or build 4 of your own, but as Rahul said, you are buying the Voodoo pc experience, and I am interested if this "experience" is worth all he says it is. Here's hoping that [H]ardOCP will do a review of one of their desktop systems some time, so that I wil never be forced into this situation without some previous knowledge.
Well, like Falcon Northwest, Velocity Micro, or indeed our experience with Maingear - they are knowledgeable, coureous, and really treat you like family. They are willing to do what it takes to make you happy.

Disclaimer: Yes, I will be working for Velocity Micro starting next month. While I still have a hand in the pot here at HardOCP, Jason is taking over my role of editing system articles so that there is no real or perceived bias in any of our upcoming system evaluations. I just wanted to make that clear to y'all.

Its one thing to pay more for cutomer service its another to get reamed in the a$$. I have gone through and have done side by side rigs on VooDoo, Maingear, VM and many others and VooDoo comes out almost 2-3 times the price. For what?!?! A paintjob?!?!?

Hell if I want customer service and speed I'll go to the great people over at Boxxtech(which I did)

OK, I respect Voodoo. They and FNW both make absolutely georgeous systems. My only point is they are probably not the very best in the biz, just the prettiest.

Around 6 years ago when I was looking to build a system, I called up Voodoo. I got Rahul Sood on the phone personally, and he really seemed to make the experience the best he could. It ended up I didn't have the budget to buy from Voodoo, but from my experience their customer service is second to none. I have bought from Dell, Compaq, local shops, and built my own, no one seemed to be as interested in making sure I had the best experience possible as Voodoo did.

because I started this thread to inquire about having different new computer's reviewed (not about how good or bad Voodoo pc is, no offense), I am wondering also if [H] will ever do any reiews on Biohazard's pcs or Vigor's pcs . Both of these companies are unique in their own ways, and it would be a shame to overlook them. This question is directed towards the editors if they read this.

here's vigors website: http://www.vigorgaming.com

and here's biohazards: http://www.biohazard-computers.com/

We're taking steps to try to get them on-board with our program.

Thanks BF!

Np. For some reason, I am especially interested to see what these companies have to offer their customers, and if they are as legitimate as they tout themselves to be. After reading all of the system reviews here at [H] (especially the widow pc one, that was simply a work of genius) I am confident that when their machines are reviewed, [H] will see them through fairly.

I was wondering if a new WidowPC review was coming, and hopefully they would get it right this time (WidowPC that is).

We've been considering it. We have some serious ethical concerns about Widow in this business, so we're apprehensive to give them any press or spend the time doing one of their machines when we could be doing a machine that could be of more value to the readership.

It's not off the table yet, but don't hold your breath.

DNA Doc said:
We've been considering it. We have some serious ethical concerns about Widow in this business, so we're apprehensive to give them any press or spend the time doing one of their machines when we could be doing a machine that could be of more value to the readership.

Good or bad system builds are one thing, but ethics problems are enough make me argee they shouldn't get any more coverage for at least a year before you see if they got their act together. In the mean time, giving them new coverage undermines the noobs who are just hearing about them here.

My case was detailed in depth here and in pm's with Chris. I'm curious, are there ethical issues beyond what I found or are they the same?

DNA Doc said:

Hmm you can't mean http://voodoopc-exposed.com do you :rolleyes: Or the fact that their PCs look an awful lot like Overdrive PCs. There are some really rat bastard things going on with Widow PC, I'm sure Chris has already told you about that though DNA Doc.

widowpcvoodoobs.jpg

Notice that that's a paid google ad. :mad:

Okay, guys - let's not have this turn into a flame fest against Widow. They're a questionable company with some serious ethics issues which we've outlined before. Let's leave it at that for now. If we end up doing another Widow article and see the same shenanigans, then you can stoke the fire, again :).

Brucelee said:
Simple, Steal more money out of your pocket.

Thats true, the prices of some of their systems are a complete joke. Can't say im a fan of that rahuul guy either, just seems to like stirring shit on his blog and getting in little digs at intel for any reason he can.

BFGuy1741 said:
because I started this thread to inquire about having different new computer's reviewed (not about how good or bad Voodoo pc is, no offense), I am wondering also if [H] will ever do any reiews on Biohazard's pcs or Vigor's pcs . Both of these companies are unique in their own ways, and it would be a shame to overlook them. This question is directed towards the editors if they read this.

here's vigors website: http://www.vigorgaming.com

and here's biohazards: http://www.biohazard-computers.com/

I purchased my current PC from Vigor and I can say that while it is a quality machine and an extremely good value, it (probably) isn't in the same league of Voodoo or Biohazard. The most expensive system you could put together at Vigor is probably around $3k, and that's like the cheapest system at Voodoo.

Back