Voodoo and Voodoo 2 price?

rahavsmt

Gawd
I had both back in the days but I can't remember how much I paid for them. Anyone remembers how much did they go for?

I think around $200 if I remember correctly. (I still have dual voodoo2 cards among my spare parts bin. Nothing better for running RedBaron3D)

Yes, that is in the right ballpark. Been so long since I bought my original Voodoo card, think I may have it sitting around somewhere still.

I still have 2 12mb voodoo 2's in my closet...I can't bring myself to throw them out. I think I paid $250 each? I forget.

i was off by 49$, (i thought 299$) but it turns out it was

200$ for the 8Mb and 250$ for the 12Mb

I want to say I had a PCI voodoo card with 16 MB of memory????

Bought it at Circuit City for about 125 I think......my son wanted to play Nascar Racing and the game was a real beast for graphics.

Shortly thereafter I put together my first computer and it had a Ti4600...........:eek:

I had 2 Creative Labs Voodoo 2 12 meg SLI and paid $229 each. Upgraded to the Obsidian 24 meg single card and I think it was like $500. Quake 2 was evil fast with it.

Diamond Voodoo 2 12MB cards were $299/ea. shortly after their release at Software Etc/EB Games/Gamestop/whatever. I bought two for SLI on my P2-300 and it was glorious.

I used to have one of these, way better than voodoo2.
2dak1au.jpg

I had 2 Voodoo II's. I paid $299 each for them brand new at Babbages when they use to sell really good hardware at that store plus a great game selection too boot!!!

One of those boards is still sitting in my storage area along with my Geforce 5800 FX Ultra!!!! I never had the heart to sell either. And I understand that the 5800 series (Nvidia Dustbusters as I like to call them) cards are becoming collectors items as well.

I don't remember the cdn. exchange rate at the time, but the only store that carried them was Futershop, and for the Creative 12mb cards, I paid $449 each, and they didn't clock well. Eventualy replaced them with a pair of STB Black ones, which clocked very well !

I wish I knew where I put my old voodoo2

I paid $200 for it on sell and it was AWESOME. Software graphics to 3d was a huge leap

My Diamond Monster II 3D, 12 MB, cost me $249 at buycomp.com (now buy.com), and there was a 50 dollar rebate, so $199 AR.

Quake II, Heretic II, Half Life, etc., all screamed on this card, and I was willing to put up with the 16 bit color limitations.

After I bought an ATi Rage Fury, there was no more need for the Voodoo II card. I would have kept the old Voodoo II card, but 3dfx was so lazy in releasing Windows 2K drivers that would allow the card to work in pass-through mode, that I grew disgusted with 3dfx.

As I recall, I paid $179 for my 4MB Voodoo (Diamond Monster 3D). I wonder what that would be in today's dollars?

Last edited:
I remember playing for the first time UNREAL,,and there was an area in the beginning where the floor was mirror like..Man that game with the VooDoo..Outstanding

$200 each for my two 12MB V2 Creatives. Granted, this is when they were out for some time.

Ah, the memories. Had them SLI'd off of an Elsa Erazor III 32MB TNT2.

GLQuake, Quake 2, Kingpin, and Ultima 9 ran very nicely. I eventually scrapped the 2 V2's since the TNT2 would just own them in almost everything. And, well, I was able to use 32bit color. :D

I had 2 Voodoo II's. I paid $299 each for them brand new at Babbages when they use to sell really good hardware at that store plus a great game selection too boot!!!

One of those boards is still sitting in my storage area along with my Geforce 5800 FX Ultra!!!! I never had the heart to sell either. And I understand that the 5800 series (Nvidia Dustbusters as I like to call them) cards are becoming collectors items as well.

Wow....Babbage's! I remember them, I bought my first games from them, Doom and Duke Nukem.

I had 2 Voodoo's as well in my Cyrix PR200 system.

The system consisted of 2 Voodoo 2's in SLI, PR200 CPU, 16Mb Ram, Creative SCSI CD Rom, Microplus 12GB FULL size SCIS HD, 3Com Ethernet card, Adaptec SCSI controller card, Boca 33.6 modem, Creative 16 Bit sound card.

The games I played were, Doom (All), Duke Nukem, Redneck Rampage. OS was Dos 6.22 with WIN 3.11.

It was the first system I built my self and used at my first LAN party. :D

I have 2 STB Black Magic12mbs in SLI in a Pentium II 400 rig. They still work great to this day, and Diablo II works fine on them. I don't think I can bring myself to get rid of that PC.

Edit: I remember paying 199 per card. This was in September 1998 when I built the PC (found the receipts).

Wow talk about old school... I had a set in SLI in an HP rig with a p2-266 way back when...Went from that system to a celly 300a@504 air cooled with a tnt2 ultra 32 meg...i thought i was going to burn the world down with my frame rates heh

Forked out $200 each for 2 Canopus Voodoo 2 cards back in the day (couldnt remember why it was cheaper, all I remember was driving like mad to pick it up over lunch hour from their main office)...I'm not exactly sure what I did to them; should have kept them... =(

Gawd, I guess this just goes to show just how much money I didn't have back then.

I just remember not upgrading to a V2 (let alone two...) because I couldn't afford it... Some MP maps in Q2 were already basically unplayable on the V1, too...

Today, I'd upgrade without a second thought and not even a second's bother to look at my finances...

My, how things change...

Although $200 in '98 dollars is $420 today, so $300 would be $630... Hmmm, $840-$1260... Not sure I'd fork that over today, but that's only because I don't game anymore like I did a decade ago...

Makes the $600 pricetag on the 5970 look very reasonable, though... No? :)

I had 2 of the 12mb diamond Voodoo2's in my first system, a celeron 300a @450mhz. That was the shit, but I was foolish on my second build when i stuck a voodoo 5 in there >.>

I want to say I had a PCI voodoo card with 16 MB of memory????

Bought it at Circuit City for about 125 I think......my son wanted to play Nascar Racing and the game was a real beast for graphics.

Shortly thereafter I put together my first computer and it had a Ti4600...........:eek:

I bought the Guillermot Hercules ti4600 at Compusa and I think it was damn near $299?

I paid $100 for my Diamon Voodoo 1 but i was rather a late adopter for them.
Funny thing is my next upgrade was Gf2 MX2

I paid 200$ each for a dual voodoo2 SLI setup adn then another $200 for the Matrox G200 video card. $600 total in graphics cards.... what a setup though!

I had 2 of the 12mb diamond Voodoo2's in my first system, a celeron 300a @450mhz. That was the shit, but I was foolish on my second build when i stuck a voodoo 5 in there >.>

I made the same move (V2 SLI --> V5, skipped V3 and V4) but by then, 3dfx's heyday was over. I probably would have considered the GeForce 2 GTS at the time, as there was much fuss being made over that card but my Gateway tower didn't have an AGP slot -- only PCI. That limited my options, and the V5 5500 PCI was one of the most powerful PCI cards. I was so impressed with the performance of the Voodoo 2 and Glide that I was willing to overlook the lack of 32-bit color and the massive size of the board.

I remember selling my V2 SLI pair shortly after getting the V5, and that's when I discovered how quickly (and how much) video cards depreciate in value. :(

Single v2's had up to 12 mb of edo memory. If you had a 16mb voodoo, it was a Voodoo 3.

I had a voodoo 2 that I bought for Starcraft. And later a voodoo 3 for Quake 3. Think I paid around $200 for each.

I also wanted to buy the one that plugged straight into the outlet (V6?) But it never came out.

I had the original monster 3d and then got two creative voodoo2 refurb's for $50 each shortly after they came out. All of my friends were jealous. Paired with my PII 450 my computer was the hottest thing on the block. I still reminisce about pre-3d adventure games more than anything though. :)

Back