Vonage VoIP and Cisco 871 router

I'm planning on getting vonage phone services and I have a cisco 871 route connected to my cox cable internet. Is there any thing I have to configure in the router or I can just plug it in to one of the ethernet switch ports and it will work? I do have some knowledge of cisco ISO and CCNA.

You could just plug it in, but you may want to enable some QoS for your VoIP. Easiest is 'auto-qos voip' which if you are just getting started would be a good bet. You will need to enable CEF and NBAR for it to work.

It depends on how you have things set up, you might have to change ACLs or add some inspect rules. And as posted above, you should definitely implement some sort of QoS.

What are the options for quality of service? I did run vista internet test all was good except for QoS. But I know standard home linksys wireless router have that enable by default.
What is a good QoS to start with? Do I need access list for this, I know how to make and specify which adapter in or out the access list will be use on.
In config what command do I type that can show this QoS options?

Ok I just some research and found a site that tells you how to set ip cef and auto-qos voip,now will this also help improve quality for application like skype and google talk.
Another thing is I have a laptop just for torrents, I use utorrent and is there any option that can enhance and speed traffic and half open sync, or there is no need to do anything since it can cause a security risk.

Last thing, is there a qos for gaming? I do host L4D and COD4 server and I game on my SLI rig a lot as well so I was thinking I should setup some qos to prioritize udp gaming traffic. You know evga came out with the Xeon Killer Pro gaming nic card that by pass the windows tcp stack and it has it's own processor and ram to reduce latency. http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=128-P2-KN01-TR&family=Killer Xeno

forums http://www.evga.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=85

Skip the 'killer nic' they will not give you any performance gain. If you want a good network card, just get an Intel Pro card.

On Cisco routers, you can do absolutely anything you want or can dream to accomplish, but some of these start involving pretty complicated programming. I would encourage you to give it a shot, but realistically I think you need a CCNP level of understanding to really setup QoS properly.

Back