Volvo's Autonomous Self-Parking Concept

If you are bad enough at driving that you need the car to park itself then it's about time you turn in your driver license.

What if the car decides to park a few cities away? Sounds neat and all but seriously... skynet.

Nice idea but lets say your in an area where all the parking lots are paid parking, What happens now? Obviously this won't work well or you might find your car with a boot or towed for non-payment one day.

I think it is an awesome idea if you are going somewhere and want to get in and out, the car can deal with the parking.

Also would be beneficial when it's a downpour and you don't want to get soaked to the bone.

Otherwise yeah, parking is not that hard people. Ive fit my truck in spaces that most car users wouldn't want to touch with no problems.

well, parking is where most accidents happen, right? I say it's a good first step to complete automated cars. Slower moving and easier to stop if an error is detected.

I dunno, most people can't park for shit anyways so I say why the fuck not. And I'm not talking about parallel parking either, I'm talking about pulling into a shopping mall's massive parking lot or what not. You got a few distinct groups of people
1) The person who doesn't realize that other people get out of the car, so parks extremely close to one of the white lines
2) The person who has the Goliath sized car, doesn't give a fuck that the parking spot says compact only, and basically ruins 3 parking spots as a result.
3) The person who has to go in backwards, because the time it takes to go in backwards is more than made up when you just drive forward getting out. The person is usually an issue due to being too close to a line
4) The person who parks crooked as all shit so effectively is close to both lines and unless you have an older model car you really don't feel like opening your car really hard and dinking their car.

if your autopilot car hits someone/something, who gets sued? the car owner/quasi-driver or the manufacturer?

I dunno, most people can't park for shit anyways so I say why the fuck not. And I'm not talking about parallel parking either, I'm talking about pulling into a shopping mall's massive parking lot or what not. You got a few distinct groups of people
1) The person who doesn't realize that other people get out of the car, so parks extremely close to one of the white lines
2) The person who has the Goliath sized car, doesn't give a fuck that the parking spot says compact only, and basically ruins 3 parking spots as a result.
3) The person who has to go in backwards, because the time it takes to go in backwards is more than made up when you just drive forward getting out. The person is usually an issue due to being too close to a line
4) The person who parks crooked as all shit so effectively is close to both lines and unless you have an older model car you really don't feel like opening your car really hard and dinking their car.

You forgot one.

5) The arrogant dipshits who are convinced their bmw/lexus/mercedes gives them the right to take up more than one parking space in a crowded parking lot. Otherwise known as the group I park my suv beside preventing them from getting in without crawling through the back.

Note to self: Do not buy a Volvo.

Not a feature I want or asked for, and I drive a land yacht. My motto is if you can afford to drive it, you can afford to learn how to park it.

And yes, I do get back in and re-park my car if it is not satisfactory, or I can sincerely look at it and go "y'know, that would piss me off if I was the guy who had to take up the spot next to that."

How about make a Volvo that gets 100 mpg...a self parking is an option I would delete...and how long would it take a car thief to hack the system and have the car delivered to them?

Because Parking your car is so frigging difficult. :rolleyes:

There is a certain portion (51%) of the population that is horrible at parking, for that matter, driving in general.

The idea that you can stop at a designated area, then just let the car be it's own valet seems pretty nifty...though opens the way for theft...and glitches!

I think its great...go to the mall and no more walking back from some far away spot.... get out at the entrance to the store you want to visit,and let the car park wherever it wants.....

If you are bad enough at driving that you need the car to park itself then it's about time you turn in your driver license.

It's not about driving skill, but about convenience. Nobody cares about your l33t parking skillz. Watch the video.

I'm a daily commuter in Chicago from Chesterton Indiana. Some days I take the South Shore train in, some days I drive. I'm wondering how the car's going to pay to get out of the parking garage to pick up their owner. I guess a wireless parking pass is needed, like my toll road iPass.

We really are going to wind up looking like the humans in WALL-E.

I disagree. People are terrible in parallell parking. If there would be no need for this kind of thing, no manufacturer would spend millions on its developement

It's not about driving skill, but about convenience. Nobody cares about your l33t parking skillz. Watch the video.

If there was no need for this kind of tech, the manufacturers wouldn't bother spending millions on its developement. People in general are terrible in parallell parking. I've had a couple of dents on my car because of these non-l33t ppl

Audi has similar technology in the works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHHibroBgg

I think I would be tempted to troll if I saw an unmanned car driving around a parking lot looking for a spot. I do see a problem with this though. If every car (or at least the majority of them) has this technology, think about how bad the traffic jams would be in parking lots/garages. It would be a cluster fuck in no time.

let's view from another pov: the car has been around for more than a hundred years. we have driving tests that get more and more "difficult" by the year, what do we do ? make fucking robots that nullify the experience and skill needed to drive a car in the first place. There were even talks about highways that would take control over your vehicle, so you can sit back and relax reading a fucking magazine.

I mean, fuck, if you like that kind of thing, TAKE THE TRAIN.

Because walking is just so fricken hard!

You ever notice the further you park away from the entrance of a building, the closer you are to the exit. So if you go to an event (games, movies...etc) where everyone leaves at the same time, there is a pileup in the parking lot to exit. If you park far, you get some exercise PLUS being one of the first few to leave unhindered by others.

I'd be worried if I got my car back and it had an extra 10 miles on it :/

You ever notice the further you park away from the entrance of a building, the closer you are to the exit. So if you go to an event (games, movies...etc) where everyone leaves at the same time, there is a pileup in the parking lot to exit. If you park far, you get some exercise PLUS being one of the first few to leave unhindered by others.

All things being equal, the guy who was parked closest to the venue is already in his car driving to the exit while your still walking to your car :D

I wonder how this system will be able to detect whether a spot is valid or not. This technology is just too far away at this point in time for the real world where every car park is not the ideal shape or layout.

I wonder how this system will be able to detect whether a spot is valid or not. This technology is just too far away at this point in time for the real world where every car park is not the ideal shape or layout.
Nah, it's just like a big, slightly more advanced, Roomba.

I love this.

And people who are saying "Walking is so hard" are missing the point. This is a convenience and nothing more. Is it hard to hand-crank a window? No. Do I prefer to have power windows? Yes.

Likewise, if I'm downtown on a weekend is it hard to spend 15 minutes driving around a crowded parking garage looking for a space and then spend another 5 minutes walking down from the top floor to my destination? No. But I sure as hell would rather save those 20 minutes, get out at the front door, and have my car take of the rest (as long as the price is reasonable).

Note to self: Do not buy a Volvo.

Not a feature I want or asked for, and I drive a land yacht. My motto is if you can afford to drive it, you can afford to learn how to park it.

And yes, I do get back in and re-park my car if it is not satisfactory, or I can sincerely look at it and go "y'know, that would piss me off if I was the guy who had to take up the spot next to that."

I'd take it... it's a time-saving feature. You arrive at a place with terrible parking due to a really busy parking lot like ____ mega-mall, get out of your car right infront of the mall and press park. Your car then spends the 10 minutes going up/down finding an empty parking stall while your stopping/getting on with your day. It also returns to you at the curb at the front door when your done shopping so you don't have to walk thru the parking lot to your car. It's basically a valley(sp?) service that's automated.

Mind you, if there's 100 free spots near the entrance, no real need to use this service. It would be fantastic for busy-parking lots though.

let's view from another pov: the car has been around for more than a hundred years. we have driving tests that get more and more "difficult" by the year, what do we do ? make fucking robots that nullify the experience and skill needed to drive a car in the first place. There were even talks about highways that would take control over your vehicle, so you can sit back and relax reading a fucking magazine.

I mean, fuck, if you like that kind of thing, TAKE THE TRAIN.

If the train went to every destination in town I ever wanted to visit...I would :p b/c it would be car cheaper than a car. Unfortunately, I don't live in a handful of select cities with excellent subway/train service like Tokyo that go everywhere.

Back