Volvo Reveals the New Polestar 2 Electric Performance Vehicle

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Polestar is an electric performance brand and a division of Volvo. Today, Polestar revealed the Polestar 2 which is priced to compete with the Tesla Model 3 as the base model is expected to start at $45,000. Polestar 2 is a premium five-door fastback with two electric motors creating 408 hp and a 78 kWh battery capacity that will enable a targeted range of 275 miles. The car uses 324 pouch cells to create the battery. Similarly to how the Tesla Model 3 is built, the Polestar 2 will feature a 27-module battery pack integrated into the floor that contributes to the rigidity of the chassis as well as improves the car's noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels. Polestar didn't say much about the charging network other than "Polestar is setting up strategic collaborations to give Polestar 2 owners easy and hassle-free access to the world's largest public charging networks." The car will feature a subscription service which charges a monthly fee for car ownership and allows for an option to return or upgrade the vehicle at the end of the term. Preorders are now open for the more expensive model that starts at $63,000.

"Polestar 2 is our first fully electric car and first volume model. Everything about it has been designed and engineered with passion and dedication. As an electric performance brand, and through the forthcoming launch of a portfolio of fully electric cars, Polestar is determined to address the world's air quality challenges. Polestar delivers electric performance cars that are great to own and drive," says Thomas Ingenlath, Chief Executive Officer of Polestar.

I placed some links in the article to the various talking points in the reveal video. Let me know in the comments if you liked that or not.

Thanks!

Volvo has no idea how much marketing dollars they will need to burn in the US market to overcome half the population immediately thinking of glitter, feathers, and thongs when they see... Polestar
Well I am in the other half as I have never heard of Polestar before.

It figures. They've improved the UI though I think. The M3 went too far down the minimalist path. That said, the M3 is known for its high safety factor. The Volvo will be new to that arena.

" The car will feature a subscription service which charges a monthly fee for car ownership and allows for an option to return or upgrade the vehicle at the end of the term. Preorders are now open for the more expensive model that starts at $63,000.
Hell no. It already cost $63,000 and they want you to pay extra to "own" it for a term for a possible upgrade later??

I thought it would be something amazing, then what do I see? A stockier, fatter version of the polestar1.

Hell no. It already cost $63,000 and they want you to pay extra to "own" it for a term for a possible upgrade later??

I don't think this is what he meant by using the term "subscription"......I think he means that you can subscribe for getting/using a car on a monthly fee ONLY*.....instead of buying it.

Interior looks like it's right out of a Tesla (which is great). No buttons and large screen. I think "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" can be said here.

I wish Volvo the best. More EVs is only a good thing

For anyone that's curious the page to configure a Polestar 2 is here: https://www.polestar.com/polestar-2/configurator/534EDPI1E00070700RF8000_00000__R14B

Hate the minimalist design. Drove a Tesla, didn't like it at all. If all electric cars are going this route and electric cars become mandated, I'm going to convert my Corvette to electric.

It figures. They've improved the UI though I think. The M3 went too far down the minimalist path. That said, the M3 is known for its high safety factor. The Volvo will be new to that arena.

Volvo has historically been one of the safest car brands.

1.) Still too expensive. Wake me when a Model S sized 200+ Mile electric car can be had for less than $30k 2 years old with less than 30k miles on it

2.) I hate what Volvo is doing with Polestar. Just call it a Volvo already and dial back the extreme styling. One of the great things about Volvo traditionally has been its non-flashy subtle Scandinavian design that screamed tasteful restraint at you. They have lost their soul.

3.) I am concerned about the level of Chinese involvement in this. If the Chinese have any involvement at all in the design, I'm out. They cannot be trusted.

Well I am in the other half as I have never heard of Polestar before.

It used to be an independent Volvo tuning house. At some point Volvo acquired them and turned Polestar into heir own internal tuning division. More recently they spun it off as its own brand to focus on electrical vehicles. I think its stupid.

I want a good old fashioned Volvo. Subtle, boring, Scandinavian, practical and dependable. Make an electric one and you'll have my attention. All this modern flashiness and Chinese tech makes me want to vomit.

So, a lease. Do they not know leases are a thing?

They use a different name because it is more than a lease.

As I understand it you pay a single flat rate per month. This includes EVERYTHING. The vehicle, insurance, maintenance, service, everything. Every few years they swap the vehicle on you with a new one as part of your subscription plan.

It used to be an independent Volvo tuning house. At some point Volvo acquired them and turned Polestar into heir own internal tuning division. More recently they spun it off as its own brand to focus on electrical vehicles. I think its stupid.

I want a good old fashioned Volvo. Subtle, boring, Scandinavian, practical and dependable. Make an electric one and you'll have my attention. All this modern flashiness and Chinese tech makes me want to vomit.

Yeah, I dislike having all the tech crap in a car. Heck, I don't even turn on the radio when I'm driving (yes, even on long trips). About the only tech I'd like is to have a backup camera.

I have no place to use 400+HP. So something with 150HP and 500 miles range would suit me better.

You can emulate lower power by not stomping on the pedal. or, in a Tesla set acceleration to "chill," AKA "Grandma's Camry Mode"

But that won't get you 500 miles of range. However, with my S100 I can easily do the rate 335 on road trips. Which, TBH, exceeds my bladder capacity. So it's not an issue.

You can emulate lower power by not stomping on the pedal. or, in a Tesla set acceleration to "chill," AKA "Grandma's Camry Mode"

But that won't get you 500 miles of range. However, with my S100 I can easily do the rate 335 on road trips. Which, TBH, exceeds my bladder capacity. So it's not an issue.

Yeah, but you can pee faster than you can charge, if there's even a charger available at your pee stop :p

I think it looks better than the Model 3.

They have cute names for the color options.

Gold tire caps and yellow seat belts.... Guess it goes well with the glitter and feather boa option.

Of course you'll see design elements from every other car out there........ it's pretty exxy for a chinse car though.

Wait... I don't think Volvo is new to automotive safety.

Car rules are completely different in CA. Every auto maker treats CA as its own country. You have "US" emissions, and then you have "CA" emissions.
so if it meets cali rules, doesnt it meet the rest of the states rules? as in it should be sold everywhere in the US...

so if it meets cali rules, doesnt it meet the rest of the states rules? as in it should be sold everywhere in the US...

EPA allows for CA to have it’s own rules than the rest of the US.

So because CA is more strict than EPA that tends to be true. But isn’t a given fact.

because it tends to be more expensive to meet those targets it isn’t uncommon to see seperate CA and US products - lawn mowers, ATVs, light bulbs, etc

Not that big fan of the styling but it doesn't suprise me being a Volvo, Volvo just isn't speaking to my tastes when it comes to design, it does look a bit more aggressive for being a Volvo which is typically very bland which ain't a bad thing but it still has a bit of that clumsy look that I assume with Volvo, especially the rear end looks too dragged out. Same goes for interior, slightly better than your typical Volvo for my tastes but still looks a bit too clumsy non sleek still.

Last edited:
I have no place to use 400+HP. So something with 150HP and 500 miles range would suit me better.

Somethings to consider with electric motors - unlike with ICE vehicles, going with smaller, less powerful motors won't get you much efficiency improvements; so the range will end up being basically the same. The second is that going with more powerful motors only adds very marginal price + weight increases. The 362 hp motor Tesla uses in the base Model S, for example, only weighs 70 lbs and is less than a $1000, by most estimates. So for electric vehicles there is little reason not have things start at 250+ horsepower for entry models. Well, other than manufactures engaging in annoying market segmentation, or safety nannies getting involved.

I have no idea what it's like these days but growing up in California in the 80's with ICE it was often cheaper for the manufacturers to make a special CA model exhaust setup (reduced HP and emissions) than to make every vehicle meet those standards.

when did california become a country?

Screenshot_20190227-164601~2.png

Back