Volvo and Luminar Show Off Cutting Edge Lidar

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
We've seen the world through the eyes of a Tesla before, but Volve wants to take that concept even farther. The car company has partnered with Luminar to develophigh fidelity LiDAR, and showed off the new sensors in action at the Automobility LA trade show.

Check out the lidar tech on the road here.

The new perception capabilities being developed by Luminar in partnership with Volvo Cars make it possible for the system to detect human poses including individual limbs such as arms and legs, a level of detail not previously possible with this type of sensor. The new technology is also able to detect objects at a range of up to 250 meters, a much further range than any LiDAR technology currently available.

I'll wait until the technology can safely identify, "psychopath", "terrorist" and "flat earther".

Or perhaps, we could have some fun and assign "point values" to the targets. Do these come any kind of weaponry?

AI: A potato is smarter (ask GlaDOS/Caroline)

Say what you will, I admire a man that stands behind (or in front of) his product. Kevlar got it's big break by the owner literally shooting himself with a gun while wearing a vest... unfortunately for this guy, he may have gotten a different kind of big break.

Such a load of crap. Never heard of this luminar company, and judging by the visualization their lidar technology would've been considered low tier 5 years ago. I understand you need cheap for cars to be viable, but then don't talk shit. It's not better than other sensors available on the market. A decent, high resolution mobile lidar system can cost up to 500k. And even on that recognizing objects at 200m distance is nearly impossible for actual humans looking at the data.

Can't wait to take a nap or game on the next 3hr+ drive I gotta do. Man those drives are boring as fuck. I'd rather not have to be tethered to the wheel.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this

Its been known since this video was released that the City Safe feature was inadvertently switched OFF instead of ON. This was back in 2010. Many advances since including a Pilot Assist Feature that works quite well on the newer SPA cars from Volvo. If there is one thing you can count on, is that Volvo has the safest car PERIOD.

After playing "dodge around the deer" about 20 times in the past three days, I'd love a lidar system that would spot them for me.

Its been known since this video was released that the City Safe feature was inadvertently switched OFF instead of ON. This was back in 2010. Many advances since including a Pilot Assist Feature that works quite well on the newer SPA cars from Volvo. If there is one thing you can count on, is that Volvo has the safest car PERIOD.
I know. Still funny, though.
But would never buy a car with auto braking if I couldn't permanently switch it off.

But would never buy a car with auto braking if I couldn't permanently switch it off.
Yeah, also elevators that automatically stop at the desired floor, they're terrible. I want an overworked human controlling that shit!

Or perhaps you just want the "suidice by car" option to remain open?

Volvo doesn't fuck around...

volvo_racer.gif

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Yeah, also elevators that automatically stop at the desired floor, they're terrible. I want an overworked human controlling that shit!

Or perhaps you just want the "suidice by car" option to remain open?
That is the stupidest analogy I've seen in quite a while.

I've been in several situations in which automatic breaking would've fucked me over and none in which it would've benefited me.

Back