Volume slider pops up in XP

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
Whenever I press the volume Up or Down key on my keyboard, the slider pops up on my desktop from the System Tray (even if I hide the Volume icon). This is a little bit annoying because if I'm watching a movie in full screen, the volume bar steals the focus and reverts the film to window mode.

How can I disable the slider bar?

You can disable the loudspeaker icon by going to control panel->sound and audio devices and unchecking the 'place the volume icon...' option on the first page. Not sure if it'll get rid of the slider though.

what keyboard. had a dell and a couple of other generic keyboards with volume and now a saitek eclipse. Maybe it is something keyboard specific?

Last time I installed TweakUI I believe it had a setting to stop things from losing focus when in fullscreen. Sort of a force mode if I remember correctly for games and movies and such. This is the Microsoft powertoys tweak ui

Are you using the Fn key to do the volume? Try using whatever the keyboard shortcut is for volume on the media player itself. If I used to use Fn key on my dads laptop I would also have the volume slider pop up (not sure about disabling fullscreen as I never watched movies on it). Listening to winamp or watching a video using Windows Media Player I could always just press Up and Down Arrow keys to change volume. It would just show the controls on the screen for a second or two and then disappear back into your fullscreen movie.

Didn't work. The F8 and F9 keys still work in WMP, but the Up and Down keys are tied straight to the System volume. No matter what program I'm in, that slider pops up. The only program I've found that can override that is Media Player Classic, where the Volume keys actually control MPC volume only.

i believe if the option exists, it exists in your keyboard drivers. i have a microsoft keyboard with microsoft drivers installed. not sure if i have the option to disable though, i'll check later when i get home.

Back