Volkswagen Official Gets 7-Year Term in Diesel-Emissions Cheating

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Oliver Schmidt, a former Volkswagen manager in Michigan, was sentenced to seven years in prison for his role in the German automaker’s decade-long scheme to cheat on diesel emissions tests. He pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud the federal government and to violating the Clean Air Act.

Most of those suspected of conspiring to defraud United States regulators are out of reach of American justice in Germany, which normally does not extradite its own citizens. Mr. Schmidt’s arrest in January, more than a year after the scandal erupted, was something of a fluke. Having been transferred back to Germany, he came to the United States for a vacation with his wife and was seized as he waited for a departing flight in Miami.

2. Joust

Joust [H]Lite

Vacation in a place that has a warrant out for your arrest? Brassy.

3. mord

mord Limp Gawd

That is bold. Someone like that probably thinks they could lie and get away with it for years to make lots of money... oh.

John721 and HockeyJon like this.
  4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Yeah +1 on the vacation in a country that has a warrant on your arrest, I mean there are a lot of nice places to vacation that are not in the US.

Was thinking this is simply the fall guy who will have a big baggy of money waiting for him on the other side, but nope... just a bunch of Volkswagon execs saying "dummkopf!"

5. katanaD

katanaD Limp Gawd

i didnt see anywhere in the article he had a warrant, but if he did, why wasnt he arrested upon entering the country, not while leaving?

6. sfsuphysics

Dunno, but other articles I read about the actual arrest, not the sentencing, say the FBI knew about his trip to the US so it is confusing as to why they didn't nab him at the airport when he was coming through customs. Maybe they wanted him to help out the local economy first then arrest him? :D

tikiman2012 and lcpiper like this.
  7. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

They probably had to wait for an arrest warrant, from a judge that thought he had stalled long enough to let the guy get away.

Geforcepat likes this.
  8. vegeta535

vegeta535 [H]ard|Gawd

And the CEO of GM got nothing when they ignored safety issues with their cars that killed people.

9. Etherton

Etherton [H]ardness Supreme

Dumbass. WTH, soooo many better places to vacation than Miami...

10. viper1152012

viper1152012 Limp Gawd

Waa just going to say with all our automotive scandals that kill people, one from another country that fudged numbers gets prison...... What a world

tikiman2012 likes this.
  11. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

Cause they want to watch him and see what he does while he's here?

12. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ 2[H]4U

But but global cooling shit I mean warming shit I mean climate change fuck I mean climate disruption.

viper1152012 and primetime like this.
  13. Joust

Joust [H]Lite

Fraud is still a thing.

viper1152012 likes this.
  14. tikiman2012

tikiman2012 [H]ard|Gawd

That's what I was thinking. What about all the bankers, CEO's, and the like of the corrupt institutions that we have right here?

15. katanaD

katanaD Limp Gawd

I was thinking something even more cynical like.. lets let him spend his money here first, then arrest him

LOL

16. Joust

Joust [H]Lite

Those are some awfully broad categories of people to condemn at one swing, don't you think?

17. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

Both are good plays as far as I care. It's a win win.

18. sfsuphysics

Why does anyone from outside the country go to Florida of all places for vacation? Disney World! God damn Disney told the feds to hold up on the arrest until after he bought his 10 day park hopper water package with meal plan for the presidential room ta the Grand Floridian!

19. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

Yeah, and the Justice Department didn't do anything about the management at BP that bypassed safety equipment that ended up killing ten people and spilling 4.9 million barrels of oil way back in 2010. That's not out of the ordinary with US law enforcement. This prosecution was out of the ordinary. I hope it continues.

20. PantherBlitz

PantherBlitz Limp Gawd

I see your point but VW straight up lied repeatedly in order to paper-over their inability to meet standards. Seven years may or may not be too harsh for this, but excusing this entirely would only encourage more of it.

21. vegeta535

vegeta535 [H]ard|Gawd

I am not saying he doesn't deserve to go to jail but what GM did was worse I believe and got nothing but some fines and lawsuit pay outs. Which they are just going to pass on to future customers. I don't understand how people still buy GM car. I wouldn't just on principle.

22. viper1152012

viper1152012 Limp Gawd

Right I was thinking Alton towers myself

23. Mike89

Mike89 Gawd

I just wonder what his involvement actually was to get 7 years. That's a pretty stiff sentence. Sometimes rape and manslaughter convictions don't get that much time.

24. tikiman2012

tikiman2012 [H]ard|Gawd

Not in the least.

25. Joust

Joust [H]Lite

Probably deep involvement, probably really damning and obvious evidence. Slam dunk case, highly visible...tough spot to be in for the accused.

26. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

Defrauding people should get jail time i guess unless you're a bank