Volcano 11+ Fan just needed to be turned around?

Roach

Limp Gawd
Well after may weeks of always having overheating problems I just decided to make the fan "suck" the hot air instead of blowing it onto the heatsink and what a difference.

I went from 50 idle to 47 and from 60+ load down to 50 load. I'm very happy now, it may not be the 30-40 idle temps I wanted but it does wonders for the stability problems that I have been having recently.

Being a person who wouldn't be caught dead turning the heatsink fan around I just have to say it was a really big surprise. I'm really going to start recommending to my friends, if they have heat problems just to give it a chance.

hmmm, i'd maybe like to try this too, what does anybody else think?

I tried it and found no difference in cooling - over time it seemed to get hotter - but then, i have the ducting mod which might make a difference... I'll try it again just to see :)

either way it's moving the same hot air within the case across the fins, really doesnt make a difference I wouldnt think.

I think the main reason it made a difference for me is because instead of blowing the hot air out the fins of the heatsink onto the ram and video card, it blew it at the case door and then was removed from the case via (2) 80 mm fans in the back.

I had a ducting mod once before but in the end the path the air had to take to get to the heatsink ended up constricting the air flow to the heatsink.

I'm sure it won't work for everyone but I just think that because my Volcano was made so cheaply, pulling air away from it helped.

Well there's definitely no harm in trying both ways with these things provided you don't pull the heatsink loose or anything. Even if you screw up and the fan doesn't work or something, the heatsink alone is enough to keep from tearing up the CPU though it might not post or get far. Personally, I tried it and saw worse results when I did, but that was quite a few case modifications ago. I'd try it now, but cpu temperatures are always so low (seems to hit 40 tops and go no higher even when my chasis hits 40 under extreme conditions) so I'm just too lazy to go to all that trouble really.

EDIT: Oops, I never ran PCAlert and Sandra at the same time when burn-in testing due to the fact I wanted an absolute minimum number of programs running when I crash my system. It looks like Sandra is reporting 4C less than PCAlert for the CPU only (not the mb.) Very curious... I think this means my CPU's top temperature is actually more like 44 or so.

It's not so crazy if you think about it: with the fan blowing on the heatsink, most of the air never reaches the lower center of the heatsink, which happens to be the part that is closest to the CPU's die. If you use a fan which does not have such a dead spot, or flip the fan around so that it sucks air away from the heatsink, there's no such dead spot either.

Back