VoIP Phone Service recommendations

shaggy77

Gawd
Hello!

Here is the situation. This afternoon is pretty much the last straw with our local cable company. After trying to deal with getting a bill adjusted, their attitude has been well just scale down your internet service and TV package. We cannot offer you an unauthorized promo rate for your products. Same local cable Co is offering 200 mbit service for 45 a month for life where I am paying at least 70 for the same thing. It was 80 but I purchased a modem saving 10 a month. The cost of TV went thru the roof at nearly $120 for 2 TVs on essentially a lower mid end TV package plus STBs that are about 25 bucks of that price. Phone service is given to us at the promo price of a generous 20 a month. This makes our current bill at just over 200 a month.

While speaking with the phone rep, her response was to go to basic TV for 59 a month, and basic internet in which she admitted she didn't know what speed it was rated at. That was all she could do to keep me as a customer. After this exchange, my wife acknowledged it is time to move on as she now watches more streaming content. I asked the billing agent how much it would be for my current internet package if I had stand alone internet. She said a whopping 85 a month. If I wanted to keep the phone service it would be another 35 a month since I would lose a triple play promo price on that. It made the bill around 120 a month for internet and phone. My wife instantly said no way we are going to pay more than 25 a month for service.

Now here is the deal. My wife works from home anywhere from 2-4 days a week depending on working conditions. She generally works 2 days most of the time. She likes having the home phone line for conference calls, personal calls between co workers, and of course most of our family members will call us at the house. Her employer implements several teleconference devices and lately it has been web based video and audio. So I need to make sure our connection is strong enough to handle this load. I believe they are going away from dial in TCs on the major meetings. Smaller local meetings are still held over telephone. Our cell service coverage is good for the area. We get LTE and good cell quality. Few drop outs if any. Most would say just ditch the home line and use Cell coverage as the line. However it is not that simple with some of our family members. So I want to keep the number active for them and for my wife's employment.

As for the TV part, between streaming and some OTA programming I can cover most needs around the house. We have a few network programs we watch form time to time. so I am not worried about this. I got the work around.

After all this , I have been put in charge to find a working solution for the home phone line. If I can figure out the best and cost effective direction to go, my wife will give the go ahead to cancel the service. She even said she would personally call them to make the changes as needed. I know I will need a VoIP solution. Vonage has been around for awhile but it seems to have had some issues. Looking around, I feel a bit lost about the whole thing since it seems to be a bit outside what I would know about these things. Recommendations of a good service that will work with the home network would be awesome.

TIA

VoIP.ms we use it for a bunch of lines at work and have never had a problem. I have used them for years.

I use ooma, they have been good for me, something like $5 a month give or take. was able to port my old land line number to it as well. i personally have not had any issues yet.

+1 for Voip.ms moved my parents off 10+ years ago. After moves a spit etc, they have never failed, and have been cheap as.

I have wanted to move to and try others that offer mms - like twilio or flowroute

Hello!

I am looking into this VoIP.ms. Looks pretty good. During the holiday season, I snuck in a Cisco ATA into the Amazon cart. I have been pretty busy with life in general to look into most of this. However, If I can pay around 60 a year to keep the number, still send the occasional fax, and give the wife the phone support needs for work, it's a good deal. Plus they are not expensive to port the number over. Probably after the new year, I will sit down and get everything moved over.

Hopefully not an spa112 I had a couple and they were crap. We ended up just getting IP phones.

Unfortunately, it is a SPA 112. What was the problem with them? It seemed to be a good choice from what i could find on it via web and user reviews. I know we have some weird Cisco based phones in work that are on some non standard protocol from years ago. When the switch for those phones fail, we are up the creek for service in the office. My boss is thinking about modernizing our phone system next year and making everything desktop Blue tooth head set based for when we are in the office.

Almost every one of them would need to be reset multiple times per week. We would stop getting calls and customers would call my cell to tell me that our lines were dead.

We tired a bunch of firmware revisions to see if any worked and they all had the same problems.

Ah OK. That's interesting to know. I seen a few other ATAs out there. Grandstream seems to have descent support and reputation. I may have to check with my Amazon account and see if the return window is still open for this and off load the Cisco part.

As for the link, I figure I will be dealing with this in the next couple of weeks. I will definitely take advantage of a few bucks off.

I have been with VOIP.ms for a while now. Couple of early on hiccups mainly in the set up. It has been reliable and much cheaper than what we were dealing with. As matter of fact, we ditched the TV service and switched to Youtube TV as our trial seemed to work perfect for what we wanted the TV for. My wife actually said to me about a week after getting rid of the cable boxes and the rest of the infrastructure that she doesn't miss having cable. I think this is her way of saying I was right. The local cable company did offer us a promo to bump us up in speed from 200 to 300 meg service and flat rate everything for well below we were paying before and for 2 year locked in.

Now my father in law is looking into switching over as he wants the same thing. His thing like mine was too many people know us on this number. I gave him the run down of what I did and told him if he changes over,let me know for the credit referral. He wants to set up a similar thing like I have right now. He is in the process of buying the modem and the ATA for the switch. Once the phone is done, the TV service will be next.

I also told my boss and he is looking into the service for the business but unfortunately other more pressing projects took over and he has not returned to the phone service. He said if it does what he thing it does, it would save the company a ton of money on phone service each year. The short calculation run he was able to perform showed promise of a decent savings to the bottom line. Unfortunately, our phone software doesn't give him the data he needs for a decision in one shot. He has to break it down into a chucks for calculation purposes. I think that is do to the number of phone lines, calls, and everything else in a day.

Thanks for the recommendations. So far so go. It works for my needs. I like the 5 dollar phone bill each month. I was actually shocked how little the phone really gets used in a fiscal sense.

Back