VoIP Configuration Question --- VoIP Experts PLEASE HELP!

Soulstice

[H]ard|Gawd
My network expertise is limited to switches and firewalls (not including VoIP optimization), and I have very limited experience setting up consumer VoIP routers, etc.

So, at this point, I'm not even sure whether what I'm asking is complex, or a simple timer setting...

....What controls the time-out period between when the user picks up the phone (standard dial-tone), and when it begins giving them a constant busy signal???

In other words, last week I setup an Linksys SPA2102, configured with two lines. I seem to have configured everything properly, because it all works. Unfortunately, the time-out between when you pick up the phone and hear the dial-tone and when it begins sounding a constant busy-signal is roughly 3 seconds!!!! I can't even use speed dial or redial, because it takes roughly 3 seconds to kick in, and by that time, my phone is already in "busy" mode.

I'd like to configure the the VoIP service so that the dial-tone remains active for at least 10 seconds. Is this even possible? Is this something configured on the CPE or via the service provider?

Again, I'm a VoIP newbie, so forgive me if the answer is ridiculously simple. :(

That's the interdigit timer expiring. Its controlled by the dial plan:

(*xx.|*xxx|*75xx|[3469]11|0|00|<:1919>[2-9]xxxxxxS0|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0)

The S0 you see being the short interdigit timer, defaulting to 3 seconds. You can change the value under the "Regional" tab, under "Control Timer Values (sec)". The long interdigit timer is 10 seconds, the short defaults to 3 seconds.

Give that a go.

Thanks a lot.

I would have not figured that out intuitively.

Is there any available downloadable documentation that explains each of these settings? I'm not looking to learn them inside-out, but rather like the idea of having a reference on hand when making VoIP configuration changes.

Back