Voices missing from F.E.A.R demo

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
I can not hear in game voices when playing the F.E.A.R demo. I turned on subtitles and that helped a little but it is really taking away from the game. Has anyone had this issue? Also I have a popping sound comming through my sound card but that is just my SoundBlaster Live acting up. No I do not use onboard sound.

you might have got a bad download .. I dl'd from megagames and I do use onboard sound , and I could hear every "F" word plain as day ... :rolleyes:

Hmm.... I dont think it could be a corrupted DL because that would not make an audio directory drop from the executable installer. Besides, CRC would catch that sort of an error on install.

Are you using speakers or headphones? Try using speakers if you have a 5.1 setup.

I am using headphones but that is a good thought. I only have two channel output comming to my headphones so the voice channels are not getting lost on output. Its like they are never processed at all.

I once had a problem where the gunshots weren't making any sound. Restarted the game and it worked fine. This is a pretty damn buggy demo, but it's fun so I can forgive it.

Are you using stereo speakers? Your card may be set to 5.1 surround sound and all the dialog is being sent to a non-existent center channel speaker.

I can try running this through my 5.1 speakers but every other sound plays fine and only the voices are missing. In 5.1 there is no "voice" channel. When I turn around the voices should play behind me but they still dont play. Anyways, like I said earlier, I am running in stereo mode over stereo heaphones. All other sound is great in the game. I can even hear the girl laughing but no real words from in game dialogue.

I have the SAME problem, the voices barely even work, and when they do it's a sentence or two then back to silent mode. (I know when they are talking though, I have captions on)

I want to hear the damn soldiers talking, haven't heard them yet.

The only thing is I am using ONBOARD sound (Asus P4C800 Deluxe using SoundMAX)

And for you guys saying you have a corrupt download, that's definitly not it, not even close. Has nothing to do with 5.1 either. It's the game, but no idea how to fix it.

Voices were missing at first for me. I was playing with 5.1 on an audigy 2. Had to turn off hardware accelleration to get the voices back.

Taken from the readme

If the in-game sounds and dialogue (voices) do not play, or there are
problems with the quality of these sounds, then please try each of the
following steps (in order) before playing again. Note that you should only
try one solution at a time, since trying them all can greatly reduce the
overall sound quality of the game.

1. Make sure that you have the latest drivers available for your sound
hardware installed. These can usually be found on the manufacturer's
website. Before installing the driver, uninstall the audio device
using the Device Manager. If possible, run a "driver cleaner"
application to fully clean out any extra pieces of the driver and/or
leftover files of another sound card's drivers. Do NOT allow Windows
to install its default driver when asked. Instead, only install the
driver you downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

2. From your main installation folder (the default is
C:\Program Files\Sierra\FEAR SP Demo), double-click on the
file named WMFADist.exe, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
This will manually install the audio codec that is required by the
game.

3. From the in-game sound options menu, disable EAX and Hardware Sounds.

Please note that since this game uses an MP3 codec for sound, 3rd party
codec packs may cause speech and sound to drop out completely. If you have
a codec pack installed and still have sound issues after trying all of
the steps listed above, then you'll need to uninstall both the codec
pack(s) and the game and then re-install F.E.A.R.

1. Already done

2. That file is not there. (I looked on google.. found it, installed it, still doesn't work)

3. Already done.

Back