VNX5300 - rescued from the scrap heap

dnsplus

n00b
I was able to save an array from the scrap pile at work. Two Control Stations, Data Movers, a DPE and a few DAE15's with 4TB NL-SAS drives

Software wise, Its pretty out of date, and there is no way on this covid-ridden-world that I am going to put this under support with EMC to get the software updates.

Anybody out there have some bits they can share, help a brother out?

dell are quite good at still supporting old hardware (software wise) sounds like the unit is still running with an OS (witch it shouldn't be really, should of been wiped before been binned)

Of course Dell/EMC will take money to provide extended support for this old stuff. The thing is, even if my home IT budget that could absorb the $90k reinstatement fee, who in their right mind would pay that? This thing is going in my basement, running power is just 600W (so i am told), so that's not a massive hit to the power bill.

Come to find out this array was replaced with a Unity array almost exclusively due to the exorbitant support reinstatement cost.

There is no data on this array, but wiping the vault is ensuring it is completely worthless to anyone without an existing VNX1 on contract with EMC.

dell are quite good at still supporting old hardware (software wise) sounds like the unit is still running with an OS (witch it shouldn't be really, should of been wiped before been binned)
The fact the drives were still in it they clearly either didnt care, or forgot! scan those drives / LUNS before you rebuild anything :D see what you find!

There is nothing to see ... no pools, raid groups, or luns configured. Just 180T raw (45 low I/IO disks) waiting to be used.

Back