VNC Viewer

FatteyMattey

Limp Gawd
I'm running VNC on my home computer and when I'm at school I'd like to be able to connect to it so I can do some things while at school.

My cable modem is connected to a router, and from the router it is connected to a switch, and from that switch it is connected to my computer.

When I'm trying to connect remotely on my laptop from school what IP address would I enter? The one that's displayed from http:///www.ipchicken.com ? or is it different. And, do I have to forward any ports at all?

You would have to forward the default listen ports for VNC to the specific machine you wish to connect to. Those ports however, I'm unsure of but i'm positive you'll find them on realvnc.com somewhere.

You would need to connect to the ip address shown on ipchicken. It is a public IP. The one your router gives you (should) be an RFC1918 address which should never go beyond that router. For VNC to work you will need to forward at least 1 port and i think it is 5800 or 5801. Can anyone confirm? I don't have VNC on my machine and I'm too lazy to look it up lol.

Just a word of warning. A VNC connection is not secure without a lot of work. Everything is sent out across the intarweb unencrypted. Windows passwords et al. It also opens up a hole into your system from the outside world. Really bad things can happen if someone breaks into your system as they have the same rights as you do sitting at the keyboard...

thanks for your help fellas.

as for the security issues, i guess my issue is that i'm too trusting, i probably wont take internet security risks seriously until something happens to me i guess. i've always been that way. bad habbit hey. haha....anyway, thanks again!

I'm also trying to set up an FTP server.

I forwarded all the ports for the IP of this machine but people still cant connect to it. Whats the deal?

FatteyMattey said:
as for the security issues, i guess my issue is that i'm too trusting, i probably wont take internet security risks seriously until something happens to me i guess.
at which point you'll be a victim of massive identity theft. This deserves your paranoia, no questions asked.

What I would suggest is setting up a VPN connection on your home machine (google Windows VPN server, first hit), forwarding *that* port, and then connecting to VNC etc through a secure tunnel. It's not bulletproof, but it's far better than running wide open.

By the way, the router I'm using is a: DI-704P (revision B)

Is it even possible to run an FTP server on this router?

D-Link Teck support provides help on setting up a FTP server for Revision C but not B.

FatteyMattey said:
By the way, the router I'm using is a: DI-704P (revision B)

Is it even possible to run an FTP server on this router?

D-Link Teck support provides help on setting up a FTP server for Revision C but not B.
Not possible to run it *on* the router, but the router will allow you to run anything behind it and forward any / all ports needed.

I dont know then because I have ports 20 and 21 forwarded for the machine that I'm running the FTP server on. And both the Server and teh Client are in passive mode, yet it wont let anyone connect.

For most VNC's, you only need forward TCP port 5900 (5800 is for the http based viewer), and 5901, 5902, etc are for additional displays..

This holds true with TightVNC at least..

-scoob8000

One reason you may run into problems with connecting to the ftp from the outside is because ISPs monitor and block common ports such as ftp and http because they don't want you to be running servers on your home account. That's why they sell Business accounts. Sometimes you can pick a port like 10000 + and redirect it to 21 from your router and get around this problem, although it's more then likely against your terms of service. Worth a shot though.

Back