VMware View/Zero Client question: parts of program GUI turn to black background, etc

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

I am curious to see if I can kind of get to the bottom of this to figure out where the bottleneck or problem might be.

Some users complain that the background colors of some parts of program interfaces (like the background of the ribbon in Office 2013 programs) turn black, but buttons still function and you can read the text of buttons (but barely) and see icons.

Sometimes portions of the screen are black. Technical thoughts is that somehow that part of the screen cache failed to update/messed up thus being black, and easily goes away if you minimize and maximize applications a few times or move an application's window over the black area.

Sometimes users experience lag in their typing (as opposed to letters on the screen showing up "instantly").

In our buildings, all networking equipment got replaced with brand new Cisco equipment. In our oldest building, the only thing that hasn't been replaced is existing Ethernet runs; we did get two brand new fiber runs to go from our core Cisco router to an HP switch --> RaiseCom that takes in the fiber. Our other buildings are newer constructions so bad Ethernet runs are unlikely, plus that they were run and certified by professionals of a company that does this for a living. Our core infrastructure is located in a private "cloud" at a big and well known provider that I will not name. Our facilities have 100mbit connectivity to the internet.

What version of View?
Are all the users experiencing this on the LAN?
What make/model of Zero client? Latest teradici firmware?
Does this happen if you use the View client on a Windows PC?
How are the pools configured?

EDIT: Just noticed the last part where you stated that everything is across the internet at a cloud provider. I suspect network issues related to QoS and jitter. PCoIP is a UDP-based protocol so with that kind of infrastructure you are sure to see dropped/missing UDP packets (which do not get retransmitted). I'm very curious as to what version of View you're on though and what zero clients you're using.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use all-in-one LG Flatron N2311AZ units. The firmware on most are 4.0.2 Tera1, but you will encounter one using an older Tera1 firmware once in a while. Only a small handful have the latest 4.1.0 Tera1 firmware. We do not have any other model of zero client or any zero client with Tera2 chips.

VMware Horizon View 5.2.0 build-987719.

This does happen to VMware Horizon View Client for Windows users as well.

This happens for people whether they are connecting to a dedicated VDI/pool or a floating pool whether automatically or manually assigned to VMs.

What is the specific configuration of the View pools you're using?
What are the standard specs of a desktop VM?
What OS?

It sounds to me like a network issue though the answers to the above should shed more light. VDI is an absolute bandwidth whore who doesn't like dropping any packets whatsoever. What you're seeing though indicates to me as some kind of network issue.

Typical automated pool with floating user assignment and linked clone source
Default display protocol is PCoIP
Users cannot choose protocol
3D Renderer set to Automatic
Max number of monitors is 2
HTML Access disabled (not setup)

Typical manual pool with dedicated user assignment
Default display protocol is PCoIP
Users cannot choose protocol
3D Renderer set to Automatic
Max number of monitors is 2
HTML Access disabled (not setup)

Standard specs of a desktop VM is 4GB RAM, 2 vCores, 256 MB video memory (maximum limit of 2 displays, but only like four dozen people have two 1920x1080 displays, and runs off of SSD storage. Profiles are loaded from a VMware View Persona server. All our hypervisors are equipped with two Intel e5-2860 CPUs (8-core each with HT), and 256GB of RAM.

Windows 8 Professional x64

Last edited:
Yeah with that type of setup my guess would be towards something on the network side of things. PCoIP is an adaptive protocol transmitting via UDP. Across the public internet you're prone to this sort of thing, however, I'm curious - are you seeing the same under a Windows 7 test VM?

Yeah with that type of setup my guess would be towards something on the network side of things. PCoIP is an adaptive protocol transmitting via UDP. Across the public internet you're prone to this sort of thing, however, I'm curious - are you seeing the same under a Windows 7 test VM?
Hard to say since we don't really have any Windows 7 VDIs.

Back