VMware Server 2.0 Full Release - No more F8 on x64

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
I just installed the full release of VMware Server 2.0 on Vista Ultimate x64 and it looks like they finally signed the drivers. That means it no longer requires hitting F8 and disabling unsigned drivers to get bridged networking to work in Vista x64.

In other news the web interface still sucks, but not having to worry about F8 is worth putting up with the crappy interface in my books.

I was running VMServer 2 - RC2 until today.

Had to do a reboot, and decided to try the full version.

Installed it .. and for the life of me can't connect to the web interface.

I have tried for two hours. I remember having this problem before and I don't remember how I solved it ...

Had to install 1.07 until i re-figure this out, or someone give me some tips!

I am going to need some help here.

I can't log into the web UI.

All i get, is page not found ...

Back with the RC I had to change the link in the serverui.url file. It should be in the base of your VMware install directory. I think by default it is your PC name, try changing it to localhost or the IP of the box with the proper port, ie. https://localhost:8333/ui.

The web interface is one of the reasons I abhor VMWare Server 2. I don't reboot much and it's not that big of a deal to boot with unsigned drivers so for the time being I'm going to stick with the 1.0x version.

Do you get netio.sys BSOD's? I've been getting those more and more frequently using 1.06. I can't actually find the install for 1.07 so I don't know if that is anymore stable.

I've never had any problems with VMWare Server 1.0x on any of my machines. I've run it on a P3 800 up to [email protected] under 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows and Linux.

The web interface is one of the reasons I abhor VMWare Server 2. I don't reboot much and it's not that big of a deal to boot with unsigned drivers so for the time being I'm going to stick with the 1.0x version.

I refuse to upgrade to 2.0 solely because of the web interface. It's horrible.

I was running VMServer 2 - RC2 until today.

Had to do a reboot, and decided to try the full version.

Installed it .. and for the life of me can't connect to the web interface.

I have tried for two hours. I remember having this problem before and I don't remember how I solved it ...

Had to install 1.07 until i re-figure this out, or someone give me some tips!

First, when your computer is rebooted you will find it takes an exceptionally long time for all the windows drivers to sync with what VM needs.

Once you reach a point where your browser can access the net only then can you start VM. Once you start the VM, wait until you see your Hard Drive stop trashing, than hit start on your VM Machine.

I use local host, always have, it simply works. Configure each VM to local host as well. Bridged can complicate things even more then the bad code we have been handed.

Luck;)

Man, if you guys think Server 2 is a pain, stay far far away from trying Linux on Hyper-V (not that I thought you would try anyway :p ). I finally got Xubuntu up and running inside Hyper-V on my other box, but it was a dirty job and still isn't working quite the way I would like. The fact that I have to compile the ideal network drivers and other VM tools is beyond what I wanted to attempt today so I'll leave that for some other night.

As it stands, every time I reboot the VM I need to go into terminal and enable eth0, then run dhclient before it connects to the net. At least it's connectable, is running FAH and can be seen via Samba... that's all I need for the short-term.

Once you reach a point where your browser can access the net only then can you start VM.

I can not get past this point.
I have tired all I can, but I always get "Page not found" trying to get to the interface.

I had 2 RC2 running just fine so I know how to start the VM's.

My compter can't seem to find the webpage to log into the UI.

I have tired localhost and my IP & still unable. HELP

Anyone has any ideas why I can't seem to conenct to the Web UI?

Do I need to change some settings during install ?

I am at a lotal loss ..

Maybe the tomcat service/install is messed up. Is tomcat6.exe running in your process list?

Back