VMWare Fusion or Parallels?

beacon

Limp Gawd
What do you use/prefer? Why?

I currently use Fusion, I like it because it's got a slightly different take of using Windows Apps on a Mac platform... whereas Parallels stresses kind of having both the Mac and Windows platforms running concurrently.

I haven't tried Parallels, how does it compare speedwise?

I haven't tried Parallels recently but even though I do own licenses for both Fusion and Parallels, I choose to use Fusion. Even when Fusion was Beta, it was a much better program than Parallels. I think it feels more more snappy and it's much more stable. I've always had issues with Parallels conflicting with different programs or devices. Stick with Fusion, you're not missing anything.

After all, VMWare is the industry standard in virtualization. Everything else is trying to be like VMWare.

I use Fusion. I tried parallels, but didn't like it. I use VMware quite a bit on Windows so my opinion is skewed.

Fusion, its faster, more stable, easier to setup and work with, and overall better from my experience trying both.

I'm glad I tried Fusion first. It really did a nice job... But is there a way to have both the Windows and the Mac "Start toolbars" on the screen at once? I'm trying to move my Windows one up but it doesn't seem to want to.. and when both exist at once they are overlayed one atop the other.

Fusion has its own start menu that it adds to the mac dock when you use it in unity mode.

Plus programs are put into the macdock even when running under xp, so its like 1 OS but really is 2.

Yeah, when in unity mode, the Start menu for Windows seems to be overlayed upon the Mac one.. is there a way to move the Windows bar upwards?

Hrm, cant remember, I set it up for a family member a few weeks ago and personally dont have it that I can play with...

I haven't tried Parallels recently but even though I do own licenses for both Fusion and Parallels, I choose to use Fusion. Even when Fusion was Beta, it was a much better program than Parallels. I think it feels more more snappy and it's much more stable. I've always had issues with Parallels conflicting with different programs or devices. Stick with Fusion, you're not missing anything.

After all, VMWare is the industry standard in virtualization. Everything else is trying to be like VMWare.

qft

I tried out VMWare Fusion, and I've also tested Parallels, and Fusion wins hands-down. I thought it was much more responsive, and I had some application compatibility problems with Parallels. The only compatibility problems I had, however, were game related, so if you don't play games, you might like Parallels, though it seemed slower to me. Admittedly, the version of Parallels I tested was pretty old, so the newer versions may be better.

I've been playing around with VirtualBox, which seems to be doing fine for me and is free. Also run an Ubuntu installation in it.
I like to keep windows in a little box where it belongs, so I haven't installed the extensions.

fusion , but I'm biased :). Parallels support sucks- I know the guys supporting fusion, and they rock.

fusion, hands down. i just started using it today and I am already in awe. Combine it with Spaces for major win.

Also, VMware Fusion 2.0 will be a free upgrade to current users when its released. I've only seen Parallels charge for upgrades...

Damn,
I use parallels at work and was going to say its OK for me. Maybe I'd better take a look at Fusion! OTH, I don't do anything demanding just a couple of Windows specific programs and a couple of You Must Use IE 6.0 or Above web sites. If I ever replace my G5 at home, I'll look into Fusion.

Orc

Back