VMware Fusion is great

Arch

Gawd
Just got my new Mac Pro quad 2.66 the other day. I upgraded to 2gigs of RAM and replaced the stock 250 gig drive with a 150 gig Raptor drive from my old PC. After I got all my stuff moved over I loaded up beta 3 of VMware Fusion. It really works well. I loaded up a copy of Ubuntu, which ran without issue. The real beauty though is using it to boot my bootcamp partition's install of Windows XP:
vmware.jpg

I will probably be buying this when it hits the streets. I know I can get Parallels right now but I think the final version of VMware is going to be very nice, like their products on Windows/*nix.

it's not bad, but right now Parallels kills VMWare. Maybe when it's finally released it might but they have a ton of catching up to do.

it's not bad, but right now Parallels kills VMWare. Maybe when it's finally released it might but they have a ton of catching up to do.

Agreed. VMWare is great now while it's free, but the features Parallels has to offer are much greater than VMWare can offer.

I'm still waiting for multi-core support in Parallels and some basic 3D stuff, enough to run Aero at least. It seems those will be pay-for updates when the time comes though; of course I absolutely LOVE Coherence.

I tried parallels on my mac mini (1.86, 1GB) and it was PAINFULLY slow. I'm not talking about poor performance because I am running "only" a mac mini...But when I clicked the start menu, it took anywhere from 1-3 minutes to appear. I tried all the tweaks suggested to me at the parallels forums, but nothing worked. Probably got a build that didn't agree with my hardware, but I'm not paying $80 for "maybe it will work better in the future".

However, VMware Fusion, running the same (converted) vm, ran wonderfully. I'll check out parallels again when VMware Fusion costs money, but Fusion rocks for me right now.

I tried parallels on my mac mini (1.86, 1GB) and it was PAINFULLY slow. I'm not talking about poor performance because I am running "only" a mac mini...But when I clicked the start menu, it took anywhere from 1-3 minutes to appear. I tried all the tweaks suggested to me at the parallels forums, but nothing worked. Probably got a build that didn't agree with my hardware, but I'm not paying $80 for "maybe it will work better in the future".

However, VMware Fusion, running the same (converted) vm, ran wonderfully. I'll check out parallels again when VMware Fusion costs money, but Fusion rocks for me right now.

Parallels is very quick for me, no performance issues at all...

Worked good in the original retail and even better with all the updates.

Parallels is awesome. I use it alongside Fusion.
I like Fusion because it has better 3d support.

I used to use parallel with XP on my bootcamp instaltion when it was free in beta. Now that I moved to Vista on bootcamp partition, parallel just went out the window.(no pun intended, lol)

Who ever creates a stable build that supports running Vista off bootcamp installation first, gets my money.

Though, I really like Parallel with XP though. It was a tad sluggish, but I blame that on the 512MB ram I split for for it.(I had 1GB at the time)

I'll buy whatever runs 3D functions, and especially DirectX...

Until then, it's my OLD free beta copy of parallels.

I'll buy whatever runs 3D functions, and especially DirectX...

Until then, it's my OLD free beta copy of parallels.

Fusion already does that, though. But honestly, that's its only selling point over Parallels. Coherence is just so incredibly awesome that VMWare is going to need to copy it at some level in order to keep up.

Out of curiousity, how does XP/Vista handle the perceived hardware change when you go from booting natively to booting the partition in VMWare? Is this going to trigger an activation every time?

I've never been able to get Parallels BootCamp feature working.

Either in XP or Vista... I get lots of odd errors / inaccessible boot device etc.

Honestly, Coherence is such a PITA that I can't use it. It just doesn't work well for me, I dunno.

Other than that, I prefer parallels over VMWare.

What are you running it on?

Mine has worked completely, coherence works perfectly and so does the BootCamp feature; of course you do know that Vista is not supported with their BootCamp feature right? XP worked fine for me with it; no issues at all.

What are you running it on?

Mine has worked completely, coherence works perfectly and so does the BootCamp feature; of course you do know that Vista is not supported with their BootCamp feature right? XP worked fine for me with it; no issues at all.

Well, for coherence I meant that it's a PITA for the way I work.
Not that it doesn't work.
(I use Virtue Desktops, and tend to move windows to other desktops based on workflow; But VD moves ALL Parallels windows)

the Bootcamp issue worked fine for the first few times, then XP just blew up on me. I could use it in parallels, but booting natively would barf.
I wasn't aware that it didn't work with Vista, but I noticed that parallels won't let me select Bootcamp as the HDD when I have the VM defined as vista anyway.

Well, for coherence I meant that it's a PITA for the way I work.
Not that it doesn't work.
(I use Virtue Desktops, and tend to move windows to other desktops based on workflow; But VD moves ALL Parallels windows)

the Bootcamp issue worked fine for the first few times, then XP just blew up on me. I could use it in parallels, but booting natively would barf.
I wasn't aware that it didn't work with Vista, but I noticed that parallels won't let me select Bootcamp as the HDD when I have the VM defined as vista anyway.

Alright, just curious; XP blew up eh? weird... I've had my BootCamp install since the support was introduced with no issues, native or VM'd.

I use VirtueDesktops too and mine stays on where I have it bound.

You know if you put your mouse over a window and press Apple+Option+O you get a little window from VirtueDesktops that lets you bind and move windows to your other desktops?

I have Parallels bound to my 'Code' desktop and in full-screen or in windowed mode it sticks there. I'm running 0.54 309M build of VD btw.

Alright, just curious; XP blew up eh? weird... I've had my BootCamp install since the support was introduced with no issues, native or VM'd.

I use VirtueDesktops too and mine stays on where I have it bound.

You know if you put your mouse over a window and press Apple+Option+O you get a little window from VirtueDesktops that lets you bind and move windows to your other desktops?

I have Parallels bound to my 'Code' desktop and in full-screen or in windowed mode it sticks there. I'm running 0.54 309M build of VD btw.

Well, that's what I mean.

on one desktop I've got my e-mail / browser (safari / mail.app)
on desk 2 I have admin tools (network analyzer [win], mrtg [browser], usually a console for something [exchange, AD, SQL server])
on desk 3 is usually whatever else I need to work on (xcode / VS.net, database app)

I can't move an individual Windows window to an alternate desktop without moving ALL of my Windows windows (say that 10 times fast ;) ) because VD sees parallels as a singular app (it can't distinguish between the windows applications)

Well, that's what I mean.

on one desktop I've got my e-mail / browser (safari / mail.app)
on desk 2 I have admin tools (network analyzer [win], mrtg [browser], usually a console for something [exchange, AD, SQL server])
on desk 3 is usually whatever else I need to work on (xcode / VS.net, database app)

I can't move an individual Windows window to an alternate desktop without moving ALL of my Windows windows (say that 10 times fast ;) ) because VD sees parallels as a singular app (it can't distinguish between the windows applications)

So you want to keep the applications seperately organized on the desktops? or you run multiple VM's?

You'd have to be using coherence mode to cause this kind of issue if you wanted to organize the apps seperately but what you want to do just can't be done sadly....

It would be nice if coherence mode allowed us to manage each app from windows as a seperate window in VD etc..

oh well... I get what you mean now though. I just settled for keeping everything on one desktop.

Hmm, are you saying that I could install Windows via bootcamp, and use it. And also boot my bootcamp windows using vmware.
Thanks

Back