VMware ESXi 4.1, a Dell Powerconnect, and teaming.

C7J0yc3

[H]ard|Gawd
So here is the deal. I have a Dell Poweredge 1850 with 4 NICs in it. This connects to a dell powerconnect 5324 switch. One nic is on its own vswitch which is on VLAN 2 on the powerconnect for DMZ traffic. The other 3 nics are own their own vswitch which is on VLAN 1 of the powerconnect.

Now normally I would expect to just go into the web interface of the powerconnect select the 3 ports I want to team, assign them to the team, hit apply, wait about 30 seconds and be done. However for whatever reason ESXi just will not team the NICs and I can't figure out why.

Any ideas?

What is your vSwitch configuration? Post a screenshot? To team they need to be in the same vSwitch and you need to tag the VLANs and tell vSphere you're tagging the VLANs. Then you need to make sure the hashing mechanism is the same on the vSphere host as it is on the switch (by MAC, by IP, etc).

Figured out my problem and it was a noobie mistake. I had the VMkernel port management network on the same virtual switch as my guest machine network I was trying to team. created a new vswitch and everything is working the way I want it to!

Thanks again!

Well..that's not really a "mistake". You can have them both on the same vSwitch.

Back