VMware at home?

Arch

Gawd
Anyone using a VMware box at home? If so, what are you using it for? I recently upgraded my media center PC to 8gigs of ram and put on the Windows 7 64bit RC. Everything is running great. I'm thinking of setting up some VMs on it, so I'm curious to know what other people are doing at home?

I am running an i7 box with 12GB of ram. I run dedicated hard drives for the VM boxes.

I run VM's at home, I have 6 I run on my i7 box. 4 on a q6600 box. It really quite easy, and you are usually not cpu limited. most people run into Ram, HDD, CPU limitations in that order.

VMware is the best if you want to spend some money on a great product.
If you want something free for the desktop then VirtualBox is your best bet.

What are you running in your VMs is my question? I'm not so much interested in the hardware side of it, I'm curious to know what people are actually using it for?

i7 box: 4 Notfred Folding VM's, Ubuntu, Backtrack 3.
q6600: 2 Nofred Folding VM's, Server 2k3 for AD, DNS, OpenFiler

Got VMware ESXi 4 running, currently using it for QuakeCon prep work but also going to work on various odd projects like working with OpenBSDs relayd doing load balancing and working with Windows 2008 server a bit.

I've got a Dell PE 1950 with dual 2.66Ghz Xeons and 16GB of memory running ESXi 4.0. I've got a bunch of Server 2008, 2003 R2, Ubuntu, etc VM's for testing and running my home network.

Test network. A couple of DC/DNS/DHCP servers, and exchange. Along with a few other test Linux boxes.

I also have a few personal VMs that always run. An XP test machine and my P2P system.

i have a few running

one is setup as an email server i run it on a VM so that should my comp die / need reinstalling i can just take the VM and put it back on

Same for my websites

going to setup a Linux box running Mysql at some poitn but havnt found the time yet

I run a VM on my home theatre box since it is always on...I use the VM to run my web/email server. If I need to take the home theatre box down for maintenance, I just shut the VM down, shoot it over the network to my workstation and bring it up there while I work on the HTPC. Keeps my power bill down as I don't have another machine running 24/7.

ESX 3.5, vSphere across multiple distant houses(whiteboxes + dell PE's). VMs ranging from Call manager to Active directory to Nagios and everything inbetween. At my highpoint, was running 20 virtual machines, mostly for testing.

I have 3 running on a box in the basement.

Working on setting up an esxi server to run6 vm's. Have one test box running 5 vm's, so I guess 8 total running ATM.

Back