VMware Acquires VeloCloud as it Moves Deeper into Networking

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
VMware has acquired VeloCloud, a startup that focuses on cloud-based wide area networks. It appears that VMware is using this acquisition to challenge Cisco. Furthermore, when all is said and done I believe this is going to be a win for cloud customers and VMware. It's time to broaden the base of cloud providers and lower prices across the board. I think this is a great move by VMware.

The company appears to be an excellent fit as one of the primary use cases is delivering virtualized services, VMware’s bread and butter, to branch offices, which may spread out geographically, and to mobile users accessing those services from outside those offices.

I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't tried to acquire VMWare yet. Oracle has Virtual Box, Microsoft has their VM (didn't they buy this?), Amazon, others...

I remember a presentation from a high-up in europe a few years ago where he said, after telling us all how awesome he was for getting his CCIE in 3 months or whatever it was, "Cisco just want you to think networking's hard. It's just a pipe that connects your datacentres!". At that point they lost any credibility in the networking arena for me.

I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't tried to acquire VMWare yet. Oracle has Virtual Box, Microsoft has their VM (didn't they buy this?), Amazon, others...

I remember someone looking at it several years back, likely Microsoft, but that died on the vine. It always looked like others thought they could develop something in-house, or flesh out another acquisition cheaper then they could buy vmWare for. vmWare's market cap is somewhere near 50 billion USD at the moment. With this buy, it looks like vmWare is ready to take on virtualizing out the the edge and beyond. Tack on vSAN and now you can have the ENTIRE stack virtualized, HA clustered, DRS balanced, and managed from a centralized portal. That sounds pretty cool to me, and just in time to take advantage of Epyc. This combo should be a pretty big boost for density.

The last couple years all I've seen is talk of partnerships. They recently were reported to be teaming up with AWS on some sort of datacenter solution, though I never heard what the solution actually was.

It always looked like others thought they could develop something in-house, or flesh out another acquisition cheaper then they could buy vmWare for.

A few years ago EVERY customer I was speaking to was using vmware. These days that's not the case, HyperV is everywhere. Not that I think that's a good thing. MS just bully their way in. And lets face it, it's a shrinking market anyway as more and more stuff goes SaaS

Back