VM zombie issue on ESXi 4.1

5 is fine, it's sane, although the syslog built into VC groups everything again IIRC.

lol well something is better than nothing. Seems to be grouping things per server right now but I only have 4 hosts online.

Think I might put up a Splunk Server just for our ESX Server logging but I'm not too sure yet.

yeah - what I mean is it groups hostd/vpxa/vmkernel logs, which is just annoying as hell to sift through.

generally, yes - any syslog server should do, and I don't know if the others combine logging as well. I haven't done much with syslog in 5.

I just wanted to throw in, that I have seen this has happened to me on my home lab once or twice. I never thought anything of it, assumed at the time it was disk related. Haven't seen this in a while. ESXi 4.1

I'll be curious to hear what the issue in this particular case ultimately was.

We also assumed it was disk related till we saw the issue happen in our production site with a SAN that is way over spec'ed for its load.

We were not able to get to root cause. The tech assigned by VMware said that from a hypervisor standpoint everything was working as expected and that it must have been guest os related.

We have moved up our ESXi 5.0 upgrade. So far 12 out of our 24 hosts have been upgraded.

Back