VM - VirtualBox of Windows XP help

WhatTheSchmidt

Limp Gawd
The only reason I need virtual machines is that a couple windows 8 computers can't run some work software (it's really images outputting through print drivers) correctly. So I need an older version of windows to run on those computers to solve this.

I'm looking for the easiest and cheapest way to do this and I setup an Oracle VM VirtualBox of Windows XP from the Windows XP Mode download and extracting the file and renaming the VHD in there. It worked fine but requires activation which I wasn't expecting.

I want to avoid having to buy a ton of copies of Windows XP just to use Windows inside Windows.

What's the best way to set this up?

Why not just use the XP Mode in Windows 8? You can even have an icon on the Windows 8 host that links to the Published App in the XP mode VM.

It's not for a program really. Somehow these 'print' drivers are not working properly in windows 8 and we end up with bad files that we are saving whereas older operating systems work fine. We looking at what we are 'printing' to files as a PNG in windows picture viewer.

So I need these print drivers installed on an older OS.

I think Windows XP installs require an individual license. So if you have an old license key around, you could transfer it to the virtual system install.

Why not just use the XP Mode in Windows 8? You can even have an icon on the Windows 8 host that links to the Published App in the XP mode VM.

To my knowledge Windows 8 does not support "XP Mode" hence the reason he is getting prompted for the license. The OP would need to run a Windows 7 VM (which will need a license), then it might be possible to run a nested XP mode VM? Never done it, but a thought if they need XP.

Otherwise you need an XP license.

To my knowledge Windows 8 does not support "XP Mode" hence the reason he is getting prompted for the license. The OP would need to run a Windows 7 VM (which will need a license), then it might be possible to run a nested XP mode VM? Never done it, but a thought if they need XP.

Otherwise you need an XP license.
He said he opened XPM image under VirtualBox. That may be the reason.

WhatTheSchmidt, what software are you using? Maybe someone knows of a way to get it running on 8. Also, did you try this method to run XPM in 8?

I can verify that Lifehacker's method worked at my company. After speaking with Microsoft though, they were very "gray" on whether this is considered licensed properly.

Ultimately we ended up using XenApp to accomplish this task.

Really doesn't matter what he used, the license to run "XP Mode"is a function of Windows 7 Pro licensing. Windows 8 does not include this feature, therefore the "XP Mode" and subsequent license should be considered invalid. VMWare detects "XP Mode" and allows only a single instance to run at any given time if running on a Win7 Pro machine.

I can verify that Lifehacker's method worked at my company. After speaking with Microsoft though, they were very "gray" on whether this is considered licensed properly.

I'm surprised this would be considered "Grey". XP mode again is a function of Windows 7 Pro licensing. If you aren't running Win 7 Pro, I don't see how you can run XP Mode VMs.

WhatTheSchmidt, what software are you using? Maybe someone knows of a way to get it running on 8. Also, did you try this method to run XPM in 8?

Yes that's the exact method I went with. It wanted a license though in the end...they probably changed the download.

Really doesn't matter what he used, the license to run "XP Mode"is a function of Windows 7 Pro licensing. Windows 8 does not include this feature, therefore the "XP Mode" and subsequent license should be considered invalid. VMWare detects "XP Mode" and allows only a single instance to run at any given time if running on a Win7 Pro machine.

I'm surprised this would be considered "Grey". XP mode again is a function of Windows 7 Pro licensing. If you aren't running Win 7 Pro, I don't see how you can run XP Mode VMs.

It's a Virtualbox VM I built...not 'XP Mode' in Windows 7.

Anyway I figured out a fix for the problem for now...using Photoshop instead of Windows Photo Viewer or other photo viewing software. It's not about a program I'm using it's going through these 'print' drivers that isn't working right and it needs to be right and work fast.

No help needed atm. Might need a better solution in the future but it can wait now.

It's a Virtualbox VM I built...not 'XP Mode' in Windows 7.

Doesn't matter. In your OP you said the SOURCE of your Win XP VM was the .VHD specially used for "Windows XP Mode", which I interpret as the "Windows XP Mode" download which is available fro Microsoft and intended for Windows 7 Pro. With that said, while it's intended for Virtual PC to run the file, you can use it as the source for other VM platforms. I personally use VMWare. When I use the "Windows XP Mode" as a source, VMWare does in fact identify that this is "Windows XP Mode" VM and creates a specific line in the configuration to identify it. If this line is missing, you get prompted for an activation code, if it exists it will allow you to run it. It will also only allow a single instance of the XP Mode VM to run at any given time. There is "something" in that XP Mode file that identifies this unique trait, and if it is running on a Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate machine. Hence the lifehacker method.

In contrast, if I build an XP VM from an XP CD w/Key, I can create an run as many as I wish, technically violating the license agreement if I am running more than one instance at any given time. But, I can do it and VMWare doesn't prevent it.

I want to avoid having to buy a ton of copies of Windows XP just to use Windows inside Windows.

Well, from a licensing standpoint to run "Windows inside of Windows" you need a second license for the virtualized instance of Windows you wish to run. Having a "Host" running Windows doesn't entitle you to run a virtualized Windows OS. Now if this was a home lab or something, meh...whatever do what you want to get it work. Personally once I'm doing something for work, I tend to be a more respectful of licensing. But, that's just me.

Back