VM clock going out of sync during folding -bigadv

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I was wondering whether anyone else has noticed that their VM's internal clock appears to go out of sync when folding -bigadv's. I just noticed this as the time that is showing up in my log file is way off from my system's actual clock. I was very happy because I thought my rig had a TPF of 34 minutes. The VM's clock appears to slow down very slowly over time, and I only noticed it just now.

That image is set up to use NTP to keep the clock in sync. There is a thread on the subject around here somewhere.

Thanks a lot man. I thought I was going crazy, but my time definately goes out of sync. I think i'll just leave it like that so long as it doesn't cause any problems.

You can enable NTP which will sync the clock periodically. You can do it from the console:

chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd ; /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd start

You can enable NTP which will sync the clock periodically. You can do it from the console:

chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd ; /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd start

Heh, i'll try typing that into the command line once it finishes bigadv attempt #3. I wish I knew what that meant :)

Unforunately, Linux is a wee bit more complex than I can handle.

Heh, i'll try typing that into the command line once it finishes bigadv attempt #3. I wish I knew what that meant :)

Unforunately, Linux is a wee bit more complex than I can handle.

The first part of the command makes the boot script for NTP executable. This way next time you reboot NTP will load automatically. By default the script is disabled. The second part after the semicolon starts up NTP using the startup script.

Should I wait for a WU to end before trying the ntp command or will it be ok to pause the WU to enter the command and then resume it.

Should I wait for a WU to end before trying the ntp command or will it be ok to pause the WU to enter the command and then resume it.

Leave the folding client running as is and type in ALT+F2 to open a new console to setup the NTP. Then you can type in ALT+F1 to go back to the folding console.

Back