VLC wallpaper - how do you do it???

the lone gunman

Limp Gawd
ok the past couple of days i have been reading all the comments on Vista ultimate. a comment that has come up a few times is that vista can display moving wallpaper. apparrently people have been saying that VLC player can do the same thing....

however after much searching and playing with the latest version of VLC i cannot work out how to do it? can it be done? and if so please can someone give me a quick tuturial on how to do it.

cheers

VLC can do it but not the same way Vista does it. Vista uses the video card to process and playback the video (excluding decoding).

Just start up a video in VLC, right click on it then click on wallpaper.

This man speaks the truth :cool:

I just tried it myself last night works great. The only thing I don't think it will do (someone correct me if I am wrong) is permanently stay that way as your wallpaper every time you boot up the machine without any action by the user.

The only thing I don't think it will do (someone correct me if I am wrong) is permanently stay that way as your wallpaper every time you boot up the machine without any action by the user.

:rolleyes: Sigh......your right. It's too bad too.

Do you have to anything else? Nothing happened to my desktop when I click on wallpaper. :confused:
You're a bit confused. Open a video file in VLC and right click the display window. There will be a menu item called "wallpaper". VLC will then render the video in place of your wallpaper behind any icons that may be on your desktop.

This is cool.

The video I am playing on my desktop is short...is there any way to have it loop?

You're a bit confused. Open a video file in VLC and right click the display window. There will be a menu item called "wallpaper". VLC will then render the video in place of your wallpaper behind any icons that may be on your desktop.

That's what I did. I just worded my post poorly.

Only thing I don't care for with the VLC wallpaper feature, is you can not hide your desktop Icons, otherwise it doesn't work. That's no good. I don't like having my Icons on my Desktop.

Only thing I don't care for with the VLC wallpaper feature, is you can not hide your desktop Icons, otherwise it doesn't work. That's no good. I don't like having my Icons on my Desktop.

This must be one of the most confusing posts that i've ever read on the [H].....

then you need to use the full-screen feature and not the wallpaper feature :rolleyes:

I don't like having my Icons on my Desktop.

Then why are they there? Did you have them removed, only to put them back to try the wallpaper support of VLC? Did they get tired of hiding and came to watch the video? Did........nevermind......

sigh...(note to self - let it go...)

then you need to use the full-screen feature and not the wallpaper feature :rolleyes:

Why the heck would you need to use the fullscreen feature just because of icons? Right click on your desktop "Arrange Icons By>Show Desktop Icons" and uncheck it. Problem solved, wallpaper video and no icons.

I wanted to take the two Aquarium movie scene in Finding Nemo: 1) Coral Reef and 2) an Aquarium with a shrimp swimming by.

I wanna rip just those scenes to my flash drive, so I can play those scene on work pc, using VLC.
Anyone knows how to do this?
I use Ripit4me, DVDShrink, DVD Decrpter and ImageBrn

thanks

Once you have the video content ripped to the hard drive, it's just MPEG2 content named as .VOB files. Find the sequence of frames you want, or the clip, and snip it out using VirtualDub, compress with whatever codec you want - you will definitely need to compress them with something because they'll be huge clips in terms of filesize, or at least they could turn out that way depending on how long they are.

WTF? What version of VLC do you guys have? Mine (0.8.6f) doesn't have that option. Maybe because I'm using DirectX 3D video output?

People seem to think this "wallpaper video" thing is new, primarily because of Dreamscene in Vista, but really... WinDVD has been able to do this sort of thing for many many years now. I still use WinDVD 5 which came out way back in 2003 or so and it's got "Video Desktop" which basically turns the desktop into the "screen" - always worked across the multiple versions of Windows I've used and continue to use without any issues.

I think even WinDVD 4 before it supported the functionality as well... go figure.

Back