VLC 3.0 Released with HDR, Chromecast Support

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
VideoLAN has released version 3.0 of its popular media player, VLC. Some of the new features and improvements include hardware decoding for 4K and 8K playback, 10-bit HDR support, 360-degree video and 3D audio, and Chromecast streaming.

VLC 3.0 is the first ever synchronized release between desktop application and mobile ports. Today, VLC is released everywhere, with the same version number and at the same time. It will be simpler for everyone, including VideoLAN developers.

Yeah I have always had to use MPC-HC...would be nice if VLC could take over for it.

Doing some testing on a few 4k files i have, will report back but its looking very good so far.

Given that MPC-HC (and its forks like MPC-BE) are semi-abandoned, its great to see VLC stepping up to the plate. They're by far one of my favorite general use media players - lightweight, highly compatible, tons of "built in" codecs + features (including some not found on other players, such as the whole acting as a server and client streaming video over networks) , and best of all open source and cross platform! It works pretty flawlessly without nearly any configuration. Other media players may have a few more features if they are configured properly with codecs and other upgrades (ie MPC-HC + MadVR + LAVfilters + AssFilterMod /XYSubFilter is a common combination.) , but VLC is very watchable without any of that external stuff.

I'm currently looking into MPV as a MPC-HC replacement (including SMplayer with MPV as a backend), but by default it doesn't have much in the way of a GUI and configuration is through creation and editing of conf files - powerful, but not exactly user friendly. However, it can provide a MPC-HC + MadVR + AssFilterMod + LAVFilter level experience internally when properly configured. Still, it isn't something I would recommend to people looking for 'just werks" play the way that VLC can do so. I definitely commend the VLC team for their work and it seems each step forward adds some really considerable leading edge features too, these days!

Good old VLC Player. Has always been jack of all trades, master of none. Now what do we have after years of neglect and a glacial development pace? Yes, a player that has a mind of its own on wether it wants to play some or all of your movie, and likes to crash on startup... quality stuff.

Vlc remains just average at best

Pot Player + SVP + madvr master race

I've installed VLC on some ancient laptops that wouldn't play QT vids at all, and works like a charm. Church fund raiser stuff where they have zero tech budget and are all still using XP laptops from 2003.

But for me, I prefer MPC-HC like everyone else here.

Can someone explain what is lacking about VLC? Been using it for years and always enjoyed it as it plays every format I need and is very lightweight and runs. Although I don't run much if any X265 content (I wish all movies were X265 due to file size) and it seems that is where VLC is lacking?

Any good alternatives that run well on lower end hardware?

Back