VLAN Question

niccoli

Limp Gawd
Okay, I'm sure I'm not thinking this through very much and that tere is a simple answer but it's Friday afternoon and I can't think of a solution.

I'm looking for a device that will take in tagged VLAN packets, filter for ONLY a certain VLAN tag and drop the rest and then take the accepted packets strip the VLAN tag and pass it out another interface, all at layer 2. Is this even possible?

Thanks

niccoli said:
I'm looking for a device that will take in tagged VLAN packets,

I'm guessing you mean frames and not packets

niccoli said:
filter for ONLY a certain VLAN tag and drop the rest and then take the accepted packets strip the VLAN tag and pass it out another interface[

The default VLAN is going to be the only untagged traffic, and filtering per-interface should be accomplished by the switch via each interface's VLAN membership. If I understand you correctly, you're describing exactly what VLANs do by default anyway. Each interface only sees the VLAN frams tagged with the VLAN id that the interface is configured for, UNLESS the interface is a trunking port. In that case it doesn't matter since it is meant to be connected to another trunking port so that VLANs can be shared between switches and other devices.

/QUOTE]
niccoli said:
all at layer 2.

If you're talking about TCP/IP this happens at layer 1, but for OSI this happens at layer 2.

Back