Vizio's 2016 M Model refresh and integrated Sreencast questions

Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
Updated: Vizio M series TV includes free tablet remote and Dolby Vision HDR, starts at $850

Does anyone know if this is just an integrated Chromecast? I am mainly trying to figure out if casting to this new "screencast" will force a transcode for most MKV movies having DD or DTS Audio tracks. Plex to a current chromecast device has the same limitation of not supporting DTS audio. I am really trying to reduce the number of devices and like the integrated 6inch andriod tablet for a remote and app eco system.

afaik, this is an integrated Chromecast. From reading the massive threads on AVSforum, it seems that people still use Plex/Kodi.

I'm not 100% sure though.

So with Plex not supporting DTS audio, what happens? Does the movie not have any audio or is it downsampled somehow?

afaik, this is an integrated Chromecast. From reading the massive threads on AVSforum, it seems that people still use Plex/Kodi.

I'm not 100% sure though.

So with Plex not supporting DTS audio, what happens? Does the movie not have any audio or is it downsampled somehow?
Yes Plex will transcode it to AAC which I don't want. It can force the entire file both video and audio to trans code which takes up significant CPU power. I prefer to play native. Better Audio quailty and no transcoding needed. This will also affect what sound bar I am going to get. Some can't even decode DTS. But the one I am looking at does both DTS and DD

Transcoding to AAC wouldn't work anyway because there's no way to get 5.1 PCM out of the Vizio. It doesn't have an HDMI output.

You should be able to modify the Plex config file to pass through DD or transcode to DD. That's the best you can do I'm afraid.

You can't modify the plex app as it's the Chromecast Java config and Google that prevents this. This is upsetting but these M TVs look to be the best bang for your buck

You can't modify the plex app as it's the Chromecast Java config and Google that prevents this. This is upsetting but these M TVs look to be the best bang for your buck

Take a look at this thread on the Plex forums. i don't fully understand it, but it seems like the TV itself doesn't support decoding DTS, only passthrough. You can, however, transcode DTS to DD+.

Take a look at this thread on the Plex forums. i don't fully understand it, but it seems like the TV itself doesn't support decoding DTS, only passthrough. You can, however, transcode DTS to DD+.
Thanks its a good start

Transcoding to AAC wouldn't work anyway because there's no way to get 5.1 PCM out of the Vizio. It doesn't have an HDMI output.

You should be able to modify the Plex config file to pass through DD or transcode to DD. That's the best you can do I'm afraid.
I should also note I will be using a toslink to a 2.1 soundbar that supports DD and DTS

I should also note I will be using a toslink to a 2.1 soundbar that supports DD and DTS

Even though you aren't using surround, I'd still say that it's preferable to transcode to DD rather than AAC, because you avoid downmixing from 5.1 to 2.0 in the Vizio. Every device does downmixing a little differently. Sometimes the .1 is thrown away, etc.

Back