Vizio TVs Spy On You More Than Most

HardOCP News

[H] News
I was going to make a joke about getting what you deserve when you buy a crappy budget TV but, truth be told, even the high-end smart TVs do this too. :(

For starters, Vizio models ship with tracking turned on by default, where other brands let you opt-in, ProPublica reports. And not only that, but Vizio’s data connects to far more third-party sources than the other brands do. Vizio’s TVs capture what you’re watching, when, and how. But Vizio then goes farther: they then match that data to your IP address, which makes it personal.

Don't connect your tv to the internet. There is literally nothing they do that another device you likely already own does better.

Nothing I've read of "smart" TVs makes me want to get one. I'm perfectly fine with a dumb TV and a fire stick.

Am I missing some amazing reason to get a smart TV?

ProPublica points out that your cable company is prohibited by law from sharing this level of information about their subscribers’ programming consumption, but Vizio says it is under no such obligation.

---

And there is the problem......

Axe

Not to be cliché, but this kind of story is so amazingly straight out of 1984 it's unreal. Just need to have supervisor instructions sent out to everybody.

To parrot what people have said, if I really need internet connectivity I'll buy a Roku, Firestick, Chromecast, or any number of other devices that has all the functionalities of a "smart TV" without being a fucking nuisance.

I wouldn't call all Vizio TV's junk. Consumer reports rates a few of them quite high.

I wouldn't call all Vizio TV's junk. Consumer reports rates a few of them quite high.

Really.... this makes me wonder what Steve's idea of a 'high end' brand is....

I'd personally rank Vizio third among my go-to TV brands with the top two being Samsung and LG. Pretty much every other 'name brand' now is cheap Funai made junk. Not that anything is wrong with that if you get it cheap enough I suppose.

We aren't in the 80's and 90's anymore when Sony was king...

Nothing I've read of "smart" TVs makes me want to get one. I'm perfectly fine with a dumb TV and a fire stick.

I would say yes, unless you have your mind set. I like being able to use OAT antenna and having a Guided list of whats playing for the next few hours. I also like to use the ARC system to turn on/off my receiver and using one remote for controlling the volume (TV remote), especially since I have all my equipment in a remote closet. I get netflix/hulu/youtube/web/hbo go apps that do not require having to pick up another remote to use. I also can use 3d glasses if I so choose to, but only used them once to try them out, which also works with netflix streaming.

I can switch to an HDMI input on the TV and the received switches to a input that I have selected.

I am a man that hates many remotes! yes I have had the Logitech Harmony remotes, and used the apps for the mobile phones and tablets...all leaving me slightly shorted on what I want to do.

I really enjoy not relying on the slower streaming devices, when I can hard wire my ethernet into the TV.

I would say yes, unless you have your mind set. I like being able to use OAT antenna and having a Guided list of whats playing for the next few hours. I also like to use the ARC system to turn on/off my receiver and using one remote for controlling the volume (TV remote), especially since I have all my equipment in a remote closet. I get netflix/hulu/youtube/web/hbo go apps that do not require having to pick up another remote to use. I also can use 3d glasses if I so choose to, but only used them once to try them out, which also works with netflix streaming.

I can switch to an HDMI input on the TV and the received switches to a input that I have selected.

I am a man that hates many remotes! yes I have had the Logitech Harmony remotes, and used the apps for the mobile phones and tablets...all leaving me slightly shorted on what I want to do.

I really enjoy not relying on the slower streaming devices, when I can hard wire my ethernet into the TV.

I unplugged my Sony "smart" TV's Ethernet connection earlier this year because we never use it. Most the apps have problems since they haven't been updated in years, yet the TV still works great. Almost everything we watch goes thought the HTPC with a 4 channel cable card tuner.
Since I have no local TV reception, and the cable company in now encrypting everything, even the tuner and guide in the TV is worthless. The TV's now just a large monitor with speakers.

I also have everything, including my DVD player and surround sound all setup using a Logitech Harmony remote. So easy even the wife can use it :)

Don't connect your tv to the internet. There is literally nothing they do that another device you likely already own does better.

Agree 100%. I have no need for "smart" connected TV's and would never pay the premium for one.

To parrot what people have said, if I really need internet connectivity I'll buy a Roku, Firestick, Chromecast, or any number of other devices that has all the functionalities of a "smart TV" without being a fucking nuisance.

Thing is, that Roku, Firestick, and Chromecast track you as well. Only difference is whether they share that information, and if so, with who.

Agree 100%. I have no need for "smart" connected TV's and would never pay the premium for one.

Same, the support is terrible and I am not impressed with the boot times of them. I would rather get a firestick or roku or whatever. That way an upgrade is $75 instead of a new tv. Who was it last year that had the new TOS come with a software update that if you didnt agree to it they disabled the smart tv features?

Found a link to turning off "Smart Interactivity" on Vizio TVs (if one has privacy concerns). Wonder if it is enough.

Don't buy a firestick - mine was a piece of junk that only ran Amazon content - everything else would stutter, freeze, skip, run at the wrong speed, get out of sync, etc.

Roku 3 does it all. zero issues.

From what I have read our 70" Vizio has a Sharp panel and looks very good with whatever I am viewing, mostly dark horror movies. Time to remove the wifi connection. Wouldn't mind spoofing data and sending that to Vizio.

For anyone looking at getting rid of remotes, check out iRule and an old Apple/Android tablet/phone. Controlling pieces through IP is heaven. Too bad most TV's need IR though.

Don't buy a firestick - mine was a piece of junk that only ran Amazon content - everything else would stutter, freeze, skip, run at the wrong speed, get out of sync, etc.

Roku 3 does it all. zero issues.

Unless you realize the wifi-direct "feature," by design, causes interference with your wifi connection.

This.

Why would a TV be connected to the internet?

I have a TV with so called "smart" functions. I've disabled them all, and use a Linux based HTPC to display all my content.

I'd personally rank Vizio third among my go-to TV brands with the top two being Samsung and LG. Pretty much every other 'name brand' now is cheap Funai made junk. Not that anything is wrong with that if you get it cheap enough I suppose.

We aren't in the 80's and 90's anymore when Sony was king...

Meh.

High end brands in the TV space to me are Samsung, LG, Panasonic, and Sony (Not the Sony of yore, but they are not dead yet).

Vizio to me is on the same level as Westinghouse.

For cheap-ass TV's I ahve had the best luck with Philips.

Nearly every TV you buy today has "smart" functions. I wish there were more options that didn't. They're typically slow, low-fi, and have horrible UI/UX.
After playing around for 10 minutes, I turned all of that stuff off on my last 3 televisions.
Disable all of that trash and hook up literally any other multimedia device to get a 100x better experience.

Nearly every TV you buy today has "smart" functions. I wish there were more options that didn't. They're typically slow, low-fi, and have horrible UI/UX.
After playing around for 10 minutes, I turned all of that stuff off on my last 3 televisions.
Disable all of that trash and hook up literally any other multimedia device to get a 100x better experience.

Just need larger 'monitors'. Tv is becoming the term for a entertainment system with display.

The irony in this statement. Amazon mines your data too.

They really need an "opt-out" option for this stuff. Sure, it would disable some features (what you might like, etc.), but you'd have the basic functionality there.

A lot of people give up their privacy for the extra consumer facing benefits. Some don't want any part of it.

The irony in this statement. Amazon mines your data too.

I didn't see anything about data mining in his post. It was more of the Smart TV features vs. a Fire Stick.

I'd take a Roku over most Smart TV's. Updated more often, great features, works flawlessly with any TV (same interface, same remote, it just works). Smart TVs interface, features, etc. vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I'll take the proven standard (in my home, anyway) over a TV specific interface that may or may not be updated and/or may or may not work with my current setup (Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, Plex, other Roku channels).

I have a Vizio smart TV I bought 2 years ago, I'll have to see if there are any opt out options on it. I must be the only one that likes having the convenience of having a Netflix button on my TV remote no need to boot up my Xbox or hook up a PC when I want to veg out.

Maybe I'm just jaded from doing the news too long. I consider them crappy budget TVs because of:

• the lame warranty
  • the recalls
  • the internet connected TVs that crapped out trying to continually update the Yahoo toolbar (making it impossible to use Netflix, etc.).
  • the tip over issues
  • the company telling customers their TVs are "unrepairable"
  • 60" - 70" TVs that lose all video in the first 500 hours of use
  • poor customer service
  • Using the company Facebook page to inform customers of all the aforementioned issues

That's just the stuff we've covered here.

Can you NOT buy a TV that isn't a Smart TV anymore? It's all I see everywhere. Mandatory spying technologies in your electronics to make you feel safer from governments that you know, always respect those rights.

HAH! Suckers! This is why I don't have a smart TV connected to the Internet! I use an HTPC running Windows 10........ well shit.

I do not care for CR, but I have been very happy with all of the Vizio stuff I have which includes my 1080p TV and BD player. You get really good bang for the buck without losing performance as in other non brand names. Quality is also really good.

I didn't see anything about data mining in his post. It was more of the Smart TV features vs. a Fire Stick.

I'd take a Roku over most Smart TV's. Updated more often, great features, works flawlessly with any TV (same interface, same remote, it just works). Smart TVs interface, features, etc. vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I'll take the proven standard (in my home, anyway) over a TV specific interface that may or may not be updated and/or may or may not work with my current setup (Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, Plex, other Roku channels).

The context of the conversation triggered by vizio mining your data article implied that his solution was to get a dumb TV and use amazon fire stick. The irony is he' trading one evil for another.

ProPublica points out that your cable company is prohibited by law from sharing this level of information about their subscribers’ programming consumption, but Vizio says it is under no such obligation.

---

Axe

I gotta wonder how useful the info they get is. Unless you are using it as your streaming device directly, Most people are on some form of cable, and that looks a lot like "hey you watch HDMI input #1 a lot".

I'm sure nobody pays mad bucks for that knowledge.

Or do more people go through the hassle of cable cards and tuning adapters than I think?

The only thing I'd want to have my TV connected to the Internet for is firmware updates. That's about it.

The context of the conversation triggered by vizio mining your data article implied that his solution was to get a dumb TV and use amazon fire stick. The irony is he' trading one evil for another.

Trading an unknown amount of data mining (Vizio) for a relatively known quantity with a privacy policy that I've read (Amazon). From what I read, and I'm no lawyer, it seemed that what they collect adjusts what is recommended to you in the store and on top of that didn't seem like much more than the cable company would collect if I were watching TV.

My original comment was really about technology, though you do raise an interesting point.

HAH! Suckers! This is why I don't have a smart TV connected to the Internet! I use an HTPC running Windows 10........ well shit.

Multiple fail.

Microsoft not only removed Media center from Windows 10, they added spyware and the home version has forced auto updates.

I have a dumb vizio plasma t.v. from 2007. Still works great. And no privacy issues. Does not connect to any internet at all.

Can you NOT buy a TV that isn't a Smart TV anymore? It's all I see everywhere. Mandatory spying technologies in your electronics to make you feel safer from governments that you know, always respect those rights.

Projector. It just projects the image from whatever device. Doesn't really have a whole lot of other features integrated into it.

Then, I plug in the Xbox, Windows 10 PC, PS3, Roku.... They can steal the information they want, but not my damn TV! NEVER MY TV! That's too far! :)

I don't think many people really care, though. Give them their TV, their Facebook, their Kardashians. They are fine with whatever they have to share (as long as they don't find out about how much detail they are really getting) to get that media.

---

Axe

That's not true. Like with other PII tracking, the data can be (and IS) shared as long as it's anonymized. All cable/satellite providers track your viewing habits. But they can't give out the specific user information about who watched what.

However, they can say things like 200/5000 households in this zip code were watching Jeopardy on Monday.

Another new thing is Addressable TV (http://directvadsales.com/addressable.html). This basically means every household can get a different ad depending on demographics. The way it generally works is, let's say Toyota gets a list of addresses of people in a city that drive Hondas. It gives that list of people to Direct TV and says, I want to make sure that all those people see a Toyota commercial once a day. Direct TV takes that list of addresses and maps it to their subscribers, and can insert the ad on the individual boxes. This does not violate PII because only Direct TV knows the users, and toyota does not know what they are watching.

I've got a 1080p Vizio that was made before Smart TVs... it has been used for hours every evening as my second monitor. It does 444 color and has crisp text. They even sent a USB stick with a firmware flash for me once. Must be 5+ years old by now. If they still make them that solidly, I'd say they're a great brand.

The whole smart tv thing is another issue entirely. They all do this now. I'd open up the set and physically disable the internet connection if possible.

(I wonder if there is a market for charging people money to disable the "smart" in their TVs?)

Back