Vizio Recalls 245K HDTVs for Tip Over Safety Concerns

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With the number of HDTVs Vizio has sold in the last year or so, it’s a good bet that at least a good portion of you have bought one. A recall has been issued over 51 instances of the 39 and 42 inch sets tipping over.

Vizio is notifying owners, and has a website where they can check their set's serial number to see if it's affected before requesting the fix.

No one likes a tipsy HDTV, but at least it's better than a sloppy drunk one that's constantly leering at you until he passes out in a puddle of his own vomit.

Stand? WTF, lol! Monoprice.com. Get a god damn wall mount ya cheap ass hippies!

Time to make flat screens childproof!!

Toppling_TVs.jpg

file_php_2_file_34473_filename_fan_fell_on_baby.jpg

Stand? WTF, lol! Monoprice.com. Get a god damn wall mount ya cheap ass hippies!

Wall mounts are not always feasible or even desirable. It doesn't take much to engineer a TV stand that doesn't fall over at the slightest hint of vibration caused by child climbing on shit.

Wall mounts are not always feasible or even desirable. It doesn't take much to engineer a TV stand that doesn't fall over at the slightest hint of vibration caused by child climbing on shit.

Using the stand is so archaic.

More like people are idiots and cause them to fall.

You're right, children ARE idiots and it's impossible to keep an eye on them every second of every day. They are also the most at risk from a TV sitting on top of a shoddily designed stand.

"Warning hot coffee is hot." If people aren't going to wall mount the things then at least get an entertainment center with a built in mount. I've got one that will let me raise/lower the TV and tilt up/down and left/right. Plopping the thing down on the middle of a coffee table is asking for it to fall over, especially if you have kids.

It shouldn't be the manufacturers fault if you can't keep your misbehaved kid from climbing on your TV. Maybe instead of bolting everything single thing down, you could try fucking parenting instead.

Its not the manufacturer's fault a lcd tv tips easy because they're lightweight and have a narrow base.
Either
1. wall mount it
2. put it on an entertainment stand with a mount
or
3. buy something else that weighs a ton and the kid can't tip
Just don't get mad at the people that made the damn things because your kids can't keep their damn hands off.

Its not the manufacturer's fault a lcd tv tips easy because they're lightweight and have a narrow base.
Either
1. wall mount it
2. put it on an entertainment stand with a mount
or
3. buy something else that weighs a ton and the kid can't tip
Just don't get mad at the people that made the damn things because your kids can't keep their damn hands off.

It's really not fucking difficult do design something that won't flip at the slightest disturbance. Personally I do wall-mount all my shit, but not everyone can (or even wants to) mount a big ass TV. It can be as simple as adding more mass to the base itself to lower the overall center of gravity of the TV + Base combo. Lots of elitist wall mounting snobs in here who apparently don't understand that kids find a way to hurt themselves no matter how watchful of a parent you are, it'd be nice to have a TV that won't crush their skull on the off chance they decide to climb anywhere near it. Ever take your eyes of a kid for a split second only to turn around and seem them hanging from the top of the fridge? Yea, shit like that happens no matter how much parenting you do. The recall is justified.

"Warning hot coffee is hot."

If i'm served coffee that was 190 degrees and I happened to spill it on myself and get third degree burns that required skin grafts, I'd sue the shit out of such an establishment. There was no need for McDonald's to serve nearly boiling beverages.

Same goes for a TV. If TV falls over because it's poorly designed base, who's only function is to ensure the TV stays upright, falls over at the slightest of vibration and hits my kid...I'm going to sue the ever living shit out that company.

If i'm served coffee that was 190 degrees and I happened to spill it on myself and get third degree burns that required skin grafts, I'd sue the shit out of such an establishment. There was no need for McDonald's to serve nearly boiling beverages.

Same goes for a TV. If TV falls over because it's poorly designed base, who's only function is to ensure the TV stays upright, falls over at the slightest of vibration and hits my kid...I'm going to sue the ever living shit out that company.

Welcome to Amurrica

You're right, children ARE idiots and it's impossible to keep an eye on them every second of every day. They are also the most at risk from a TV sitting on top of a shoddily designed stand.

Then that is the parents fault.

Cant keep an eye on the kids all the time, hang the tv up or dont have one. The world is going crazy trying to idiot proof stuff. It needs to stop.

Both of those are because of idiots. Coffee is hot, dont spill it on yourself.

Dont let the kids play with the dam TV!

Basically what I posted earlier......

Both of those are because of idiots. Coffee is hot, dont spill it on yourself.

Dont let the kids play with the dam TV!

Basically what I posted earlier......
omg this old saw again, and you have never ever spilled anything ever that is just beyond full of shit

boil the flesh off peeps aok, shit ass top heavy design lls something runs into something, and suddenly you don't have an excuse in every pocket anymore

so heres mine. we are all a businesses (that is the law remember hear it over and over again on subjects like immigration etc they are breaking the law) should have absolutely no moral or ethical consideration ever in the endless quest for ever more money with less and less employees (serfs) to have to share it with. She is the ceo of her own corp, and she made one helluva profit and didn't have to share with anyone other than her legal dept
Perfectly ok for a ceo, but not the old woman. She's a thief and schemer and sorry and whatever other bs you make up. Lmfbo she should be one of your champions.

So strange I never see rants about Walmart forcing people to work unpaid overtime in certain circles, or Verizon getting caught intentionally overcharging (you know stealing?)
who got busted? Or Halliburton getting caught trying to overcharge their bills to the us gov, against the law huh? laughable fines in comparison to the profits they made from obviously criminal behavior. That's never a problem, but old woman sues, Fuckin !!!
I mean honestly how long ago was that even? Still got all these people running around carrying a torch and pitchfork. Yet cliven bundy is a patriot! Not a sorry ass thief!

heres a thought, make the fucking tv not ridiculously top heavy to save money on the design

The designers could not possibly have made a mistake or been pressured to get something out before it was finished that never happens. Unless you drive an suv of course.

Then that is the parents fault.

Cant keep an eye on the kids all the time, hang the tv up or dont have one. The world is going crazy trying to idiot proof stuff. It needs to stop.

I agree, to a point. I have a couple kids, and I was hurt a lot when I was a little kid. I have scars on my knees, arms, legs, from bike wrecks, falling, etc.. Shit happens. I've had shit fall on me, too. My kids have had similar incidents. But, there is a point where it's easy for it to happen. My bike wrecks were my fault, for sure (no knee pads or helmets when I was a kid), but I liken the TV being top heavy similar to a bike having a wobbly wheel straight from the factory. It's not causing accidents, but it's making them more likely. Shit happens. No doubt about it. Kids get hurt (we were idiots when we were kids). You can't bubble wrap everything. But, when things are designed poorly and are more likely to cause an accident, then there is an issue.

Should they be sued? If that's what it takes to get things corrected. You'd think that they'd do it with enough complaints or whatever. But, it's not happening. The businesses are making a profit by doing things half-assed. Take a bit of that profit away, and they correct the problem.

I'm against litigation for the most part. But, if a company is truly being a dick and not taking the consumers safety in mind, then it needs corrected. Of course, like someone mentioned above - it's not like the fines equal anything near the profit they gained from screwing things up in the first place.

Also - thinking of old ass, unsafe stuff - metal lawn darts were awesome. :)

When I was a kid, the tvs weighed a ton and were damn near impossible to tip.
Then again, you were pretty f'n lucky to have a 27" tv.
And...
Children's services wasn't so rampant back then, we KNEW our parents would beat the shit out of us if we broke something like a tv.

When I was a kid, the tvs weighed a ton and were damn near impossible to tip.
Then again, you were pretty f'n lucky to have a 27" tv.
And...
Children's services wasn't so rampant back then, we KNEW our parents would beat the shit out of us if we broke something like a tv.

Shit, I still remember my 85 pound 17" monitor. No idea why it was so insanely heavy, probably should have opened it up to see if there were gold bars smuggled inside.

Don't have children, or at least your children already grew up when HDTV came out, right?

I also find it annoying how some manufacturers cheap out on stands. Even those that don't tip, but rather wobble when someone walks near the television stand.

I have a Samsung with the cheapest stand ever. Even the bit affixing the TV to the stand is nothing but plastic; really should wall mount it.

Shit, I still remember my 85 pound 17" monitor. No idea why it was so insanely heavy, probably should have opened it up to see if there were gold bars smuggled inside.

Right as LCDs were starting to take off I got a 21" Benq CRT I was going to put into an arcade cabinet.
Had to help the FedEx guy unload it from the truck and carry it into the garage! Pretty sure my Maytag dryer didn't weigh that much.

It can be as simple as adding more mass to the base itself to lower the overall center of gravity of the TV + Base combo.
Have you seen how cheap LCDs have gotten? The margins are extremely thin, and adding more size or mass to the base adds more size and weight to the box, which I take it you want to pay for?

Point is simple, only noobs still even use the base anyway, and so don't want to pay for some fancy tank mount. They include cheap plastic ones because it doesn't really add much weight/bulk to the box to do so, but as TVs are getting up in size, that means you have that much more leverage to tip it over if someone pulls or pushes on the top.

They also include harnesses that you're supposed to tether to the wall to prevent it from falling forward.

Mounting a TV on a stand is like shooting vertical 16:9 videos... just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should. *slaps hand* :D

Don't have children, or at least your children already grew up when HDTV came out, right?
Children should be supervised and leashed when they are let out of their kennel. That's just called responsible parenting.
child-leash.jpg

Have you seen how cheap LCDs have gotten? The margins are extremely thin, and adding more size or mass to the base adds more size and weight to the box, which I take it you want to pay for?

Point is simple, only noobs still even use the base anyway, and so don't want to pay for some fancy tank mount. They include cheap plastic ones because it doesn't really add much weight/bulk to the box to do so, but as TVs are getting up in size, that means you have that much more leverage to tip it over if someone pulls or pushes on the top.

They also include harnesses that you're supposed to tether to the wall to prevent it from falling forward.

Mounting a TV on a stand is like shooting vertical 16:9 videos... just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should. *slaps hand* :D

Hey, that's all fine and dandy....until you have to recalled 275k TVs because you were too cheap to add an insignificant cost to alleviate some safety concerns. You have a point about the strap and I forget about those (mainly cause my TVs are wall mounted), but most aren't going to use it. And sure only "noobs" use the stand, but you forget the country we are talking about here....99% of the people living here are "noobs" :D

How about instead of requiring all tv's be made a certain way and increase the price for all of us we just make "child safe" models with a more expensive base and "mount" models at reduced costs?
We all win!

How about instead of requiring all tv's be made a certain way and increase the price for all of us we just make "child safe" models with a more expensive base and "mount" models at reduced costs?
We all win!

Not a horrible idea

Back