Vizio P series (Sept 24th) + GTX 970/980

There is no reason not to make sure you get a 4:4:4 display.

Price was a motivating factor for me. Also 1080p@120hz is tough to pass up on a 70" screen.

Yeah I got the P70 one. I cannot stress enough how amazing this TV is. The whole 4:4:4 is overblown to me. Would I like to have it? sure but when you're playing Tomb Raider in 4K on 70" screen, it's breathtaking..

well, 4:4:4 is critical if you want to make use of the TV as a monitor also, as many people in this thread are.

Games look great on my HU8550 at 4:2:0 too, but otherwise image quality at the desktop hurts my eyes. Text is nigh unreadable to me.

Yeah I still have my Asus PB298Q right next to my set. The input delay is so good I'm going to pick up the 50" one for my older consoles in my dedicated game room.

Guess I'm waiting a bit longer to go 4k for my gaming. Hopefully a firmware update comes.

well, 4:4:4 is critical if you want to make use of the TV as a monitor also, as many people in this thread are.

Games look great on my HU8550 at 4:2:0 too, but otherwise image quality at the desktop hurts my eyes. Text is nigh unreadable to me.

can you take some photos? it looks fine for me and I'm certain I'm in 4:2:0 mode. I'm also sitting about 8 feet away so maybe that makes a difference? BTW when in 1080p@120hz I can select 4:4:4.

Last edited:
Potential for a vast 4K display with local dimming and this no 4:4:4 thing that wrecks it as such. Very disappointing...

I guess at the end of the day this is a TV, not a computer monitor, but still...what a shame....

Potential for a vast 4K display with local dimming and this no 4:4:4 thing that wrecks it as such. Very disappointing...

I guess at the end of the day this is a TV, not a computer monitor, but still...what a shame....

Unfortunately, since Vizio probably wanted the TV to be able to support 4K bluray playback, they pretty much had no choice but to put HDCP 2.2 on the HDMI ports which means no 4:4:4 sampling @ 4K 60 hz with the currently available chips. Luckily chips that will support 4:4:4, HDCP 2.2, and 4K 60 hz should be in next year's TVs.

I'm still unable to get my P55 running at 4K 60 hz, even at 4:2:0 sampling. Maybe it's time I contact Vizio.

I can spend $900 on a 27 inch TN 1440P w/gsync

or

I can spend $1000 on a 50 inch 4k IPS panel with FALD, multiple hdmi 2.0 inputs, Netflix 4k integration, H265 decomp, 802.11AC wireless, qwerty remote...

I recognise it's an apples to oranges comparison but I fail to see the value in the TN based ROG swift. That being said, I haven't tried G-Sync so what do I know!

I found myself thinking this as well. I returned my Swift because I honestly came to the realization that I am not in that very specific niche that the Swift was aimed at.
Furthermore, my past experience with IPS panels just made the "best" of TN look washed out unfortunately. So now back to shopping for higher resolution displays we go. The large display size is so attractive.

I found myself thinking this as well. I returned my Swift because I honestly came to the realization that I am not in that very specific niche that the Swift was aimed at.
Furthermore, my past experience with IPS panels just made the "best" of TN look washed out unfortunately. So now back to shopping for higher resolution displays we go. The large display size is so attractive.

You both have no concept of where the Gold is within the Rog Swift. ULMB @50 is the settings of the Gods. Gsync is for the noobz. 4K IPS/VA 60hz is for the motion impaired.

There is no reason not to make sure you get a 4:4:4 display.

Is there an updated list or easy way to search for the models that have it. I do get this topic but the list of models is old:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread.html

If you want 4:4:4 for a decent price I think only the LG 8500 series have it right now.

Which exact model is that? The UB8500 in 49" and 55" variety?

You both have no concept of where the Gold is within the Rog Swift. ULMB @50 is the settings of the Gods. Gsync is for the noobz. 4K IPS/VA 60hz is for the motion impaired.

You have no concept of people buy what they like. You are just as bad as ncx.

Last edited:
You have no concept of people but what they like. You are just as bad as ncx.

I do not understand what you typed. Is english your 4th language? Ripping the rog for subpar picture quality equals ripping a 4k for subpar motion blur....but you do not value or understand the benefit of blur free motion so you hold a product to an unrealistic and pointless standard.

I believe this TV has a backlight strobe mode as well - I forget what the option is called in the menus, does the above impression have that turned on?

I tried with the clearmotion and it definitely makes it strobe and helped a little but not a huge difference.

Man, the Seiki 40U4SEP-G02 can't come soon enough...

I was going to jump onto the 4K bandwagon with this Vizio, but that no 4:4:4 at 60 Hz makes it not worth it unless the price drops to $800. I'm trying to buy one display to rule them all at a decent price. I would like a good display for gaming, movies, and productivity. I've pretty much decided that my preferred panel type is VA, followed by IPS, and then TN. Work at 4K, videos at 4K when available, and play at 1080p 120Hz. The 4:2:0 4K killed the productivity aspects of this.

I would totally have gotten the LG UltraWide 34UM95 had this Vizio not been available. But knowing Seiki generation 2 is coming also put that purchase on hold.

As for the ASUS ROG Swift, by all accounts is the best TN ever. And I am also considering it, but I just don't know how well it works for productivity.

I'm a code monkey software engineer, so I have to read a lot of text and design user interfaces.

Who knows, maybe the 40U4SEP-G02 sucks too, which would leave me the LG UltraWide 34UM95 again.

As for the ASUS ROG Swift, by all accounts is the best TN ever. And I am also considering it, but I just don't know how well it works for productivity.

We also have no idea when it'll be back in stock. It seems ASUS was not prepared for the amount of demand there would be for that monitor.

Anyway, my attempts to get 4K@60 hz running will be put on hold since my P55 will no longer power up at all. I called Vizio and they said they will call me in 8-10 days for a replacement. At least their customer service has been decent so far.

Text in 4:2:0 on the desktop supposely looks horrible, but people are saying that games look just fine. What about the text in games? Wouldn't it look just as crappy in 4:2:0?

Man, the Seiki 40U4SEP-G02 can't come soon enough...

I was going to jump onto the 4K bandwagon with this Vizio, but that no 4:4:4 at 60 Hz makes it not worth it unless the price drops to $800. I'm trying to buy one display to rule them all at a decent price. I would like a good display for gaming, movies, and productivity. I've pretty much decided that my preferred panel type is VA, followed by IPS, and then TN. Work at 4K, videos at 4K when available, and play at 1080p 120Hz. The 4:2:0 4K killed the productivity aspects of this.

I would totally have gotten the LG UltraWide 34UM95 had this Vizio not been available. But knowing Seiki generation 2 is coming also put that purchase on hold.

I'm a code monkey software engineer, so I have to read a lot of text and design user interfaces.

Who knows, maybe the 40U4SEP-G02 sucks too, which would leave me the LG UltraWide 34UM95 again.

Why are you considering the Swift for your purposes? Compared to ultrawide or UHD, there's no utility there, unless you want to turn pro at CSGO instead of CSS (ok lame joke). It's small. It's a damn shame about the Vizio. 4K60, 20ms input lag, 120 hz, decent picture quality, all screwed up by a half-assed HDMI implementation.

Does a 4k tv exist today with full 60hz and 4:4:4?

There have been a few reports of LG 4k models, specifically 8500+ series such as the 49UB8500 being able to do 4k 60hz 4:4:4. The only problem is that LG tvs tend to have a stupid amount of input lag so it pretty much makes it useless for gaming.

There have been a few reports of LG 4k models, specifically 8500+ series such as the 49UB8500 being able to do 4k 60hz 4:4:4. The only problem is that LG tvs tend to have a stupid amount of input lag so it pretty much makes it useless for gaming.

would be good if someone tested the input lag @ 4K. All reviews I've read seem to be testing it at 1080p upscaled to 4k, without the scaler overhead there should be much less lag.

The Game mode is pretty good for input lag on the LG 49UB8500 but the image quality isn't that great compared to some of the other presets like Picture Mode. It's not worse than any other TV I've used, but is certainly slightly slower than a monitor. Although the 4K TVs are currently relatively more affordable than some of the high end monitors...so it's a tradeoff.

How good is the native contrast ratio and input lag for these 4K TV's and do they have all the controls needed for a 10pt grayscale calibration along with at least hue + saturation colorspace controls? This probably isn't the best place to ask these questions, but I figured the owners of such TV's may know the answer to my questions.

Is any of these TV's using Panasonic's ISP panel technology that allows for extremely deep blacks, deeper than Panasonic plasma TV black point level? They have already demonstrated the prototype, which did have insanely low (good) black point level and I figured they would add such technologies for their most highly priced TV sets, like the 4K sets!

I think so far only the Vizio Reference series TV's are barely acceptable for video games. I can't wait for something better than Eizo Foris FG2421 to appear in the world of monitors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to your sacrifice, I decided to pass on the 70P and opt for a 65" LGUB9500!

My Vizio 70 P series was picked up and put on the truck a few minutes ago.

My issue is I need a display that is also capable of 120Hz, unfortunately only the seiki and the vizio displays (AFAIK) will do it and at full chroma (which is the only way for me running linux) are limited to 30hz @ 4k.

I am back on the seiki and man I gotta say... The seiki seems so clear in comparison to the Vizio.

houkouonchi: then it seems that best bet might be next gen seiki that supposedly will come with DP 1.3 & HDMI 2.0 for 60hz@4K. If other vendors don't think much about how to add features of .. switching off their .. features, that fsck up image, then one can vote only with wallet/feet.

houkouonchi: then it seems that best bet might be next gen seiki that supposedly will come with DP 1.3 & HDMI 2.0 for 60hz@4K. If other vendors don't think much about how to add features of .. switching off their .. features, that fsck up image, then one can vote only with wallet/feet.

The only issue is I don't really expect a native 120hz mode out of the next generation seiki :(

I've been looking for a inexpensive 4k tv for pc gaming.
Panny - $2000 does 4k@60 444 chroma, not sure on 1080@120
Vizio - $999 does 4k@60 420 chroma, does 1080@120
Sony, LG, Samsung - $1500-$1700 does 4k@60 420 chroma, no 1080@120
JVC - $1700 does 4k@60 no chroma info, no 1080@120
Toshiba - $1500 does 4k@60 unsure of chroma, no 1080@120
Hisense - $1500 unsure of 4k@?, total unknown to me
Seiki - I have

Anything inaccurate or need to add?
I think I'm going with the Vizio walmart version for $899(100 gift card included) and just use it as a disposable for a year?
I don't really notice chroma in games...

Seiki - I have

I think I'm going with the Vizio walmart version for $899(100 gift card included) and just use it as a disposable for a year?

Pretty sure Panasonic is a no-go on 120Hz @ 1080p. I believe someone tried it but it was the older model that they released like almost a year ago (first TV with HDMI 2.0).

Just be careful because with actual HDMI 2.0 hardware (geforce gtx 980/970) you are going to have problems getting 60Hz at all (4:2:0 chroma or not).

Seiki - I have

LG 8500 are 444 on HDMI port 3

So I am still a little confused. If I get a GTX 980 Will I still be able to game 4k @ 60hz or 1080p @ 120hz? But will not get 4:4:4 with the Vizio?

If I plan on only using the display to game on with my HTPC will I really notice not having 4:4:4? As I understand it is most important for reading text and using the display as a full-time PC monitor.

Problem with all these 4K TV's with 4:4:4 chroma is that they all have fairly average if not negative reviews about the videos, pictures, contrasts, and colors. While the Vizio 4K P-series ranks supremely high on those areas. If I were to get a TV to use as a monitor only, then why not just get a monitor? I'm waiting got the review on this Phillips Monitor. I'm also waiting for the seiki monitor. These VA panels should be superior for work and play.

I'm considering the 65" model. I've read through this thread and a few others. I understand the P series can't handle 4k60hz at 4:4:4. My question: can it display 4k30hz at 4:4:4?

Thanks,

Does 4:2:0 really change it that much in terms of day-to-day use that it is a gamebreaker? I'm due for a GPU update and i was in Fry's today thinking about taking a plunge on a 4K set to run via HDMI 2.0 alongside SLI 970's...

If say, the difference is comparable to an IPS vs TN monitor, it wouldn't be an issue for me.. If 4:2:0 was more like a grayscale effect or something, obviously that would naturally not be worth jumping the gun.

Any ELI5 advice would be much appreciated.

Every TV next year should have the new Silicon image chips capable of 18gbps communication over HDMI 2.0 which means chroma 4:4:4 + HDCP 2.2. I'm waiting for those.

Back