VIVO 24K 650W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
VIVO 24K 650W Power Supply Review - VIVO is likely not a brand name that you are familiar with when it comes to enthusiast-level computer power supplies. We were not familiar with the VIVO name assuredly and its single PSU offering. All the more reason to put it through our PSU testing gauntlet when VIVO asked us to. Will VIVO regret putting its value brand PSU to the test?

Impressed by such a competent first outing. But Man does early-adoption-remorse scare me.

My biggest concern is the fan, the primary cap, and the subsequent 3 year warranty.

Not a bad PSU. Why hasn't anyone come up with a triangular PSU yet? That way it's out of the way up thar in the corner.

I'm disappointed. I skipped to the Conclusion page expecting to see a big fat FAIL and to enjoy a flowery description of how badly it failed. Granted, I did enjoy your comments on the noise.

But alas it was not to be. You've done good work here and I'll add them to the list.

Great review as always.
Seems like a solid unit (with some minor concerns).

I'll tell you - what caught my eye was the look of the unit (no pun intended). It was actually nice to see something different in that regard. So looks, coupled with solid performance, and competitive pricing could make this guy a winner for some people.

I noticed a few things on the power review.

The transient test could be improved. As of now, it shows an increase in load followed by a decrease in load. The issue i have with it is that you cannot determine if the supply was compensated correctly because the load step doesn't last long enough to see the full recovery and any overshoot or undershoot. (is it critically damped, over damped, or under damped?)

The load step increase lasts some amount of time then it is removed. All we see upon removal is the recovery from the initial load step is added back to the output voltage being measured. (the two vertical lines are the same length) The power supply response shown makes complete sense and doesn't really tell us anything about the supply.

The transient test being performed here tells us two things.
1. The series resistance in the power cable combined with the supply's output impedance. (we know the instantaneous change in current and the resultant voltage change so we are able to calculate the resistance.
2. We can calculate the RC time constant of the control loop because we did get to see some of the settling, just not all of it.

What we cannot determine.
1. The total loop response
2. Frequency compensation

[H], if you truly want to set your power supply reviews apart from the rest, do a little more work on loop response and frequency compensation. Combined with what you already do, this would make your reviews destroy the competition. (It will be very easy to tell if the engineers knew what they were doing) You know how to contact me if you need any info or advice.

Oh yeah, I highly suggest you replace your ripple plots with a frequency specturm. They yield tons more information.

cheweyallen

(yes, i have not posted in years)

I've always had an interest in power supplies.
One of my professors in school worked for a company that built power supplies, and I ended up building a few of them myself.

One thing that impresses me about this design is the almost zero point to point wiring.
Lots of internal wiring can lead to a lot of failure points over time. More reliable and lower overall radiated EMF noise with fewer wires.

This is a very good first effort and I think they could really be a market leader with improved component selection and some fine tuning.
The noisy sleeve bearing fan has got to go. That really has no place in a $75 power supply, you expect that more in the $30-$50 low end.

correct me if i'm wrong, but looks like if it was installed with fan-down on bottom of the case (like in my Fractal Define R5 for example) the logo would be upside down and/or not visible? can't tell from the pics if the branding is on both sides or not... drawback for me as I do actually like the look of it!

I like the looks of the power supply as well but more important is the performance was good overall - probably a good power supply for a new Ryzen build if one is going to go complete top to bottom new. Now I would want a more powerful power supply since I like to go dual GPU's but this power supply would do great for single gpu users.

cheweyallen

I don't think an average PC user (or reader) will need or even know how to interpret that much of (complex) informations and along that, load is very variable in PC so longer transient load wouldn't really reflect real scenario situations. Even we can see on Tomshardware reviews that lower times of transient load (they test with 200, 20 and 1 ms) usually result in bigger voltage fluctuations and that's what we want...to see how good (or not good) PSU is in the most extreme conditions.

About PSU...Did somebody else notice that platform have too many similarities with Great Wall platform from Corsair CS series? It has almost the same parts on same positions as GW and if you ignore soldering work, backside of PCB is similar, too. Among other, PFC and LLC controllers are on same spots.
So, does anybody know if this platform is made in collaboration with Great Wall, or SAMA engineers (or who ever built this platform) were very busy with copying Great Wall?
Good thing is that they have actually made better PSU because Corsair CS doesn't have MOV, full modular cabling and ripple regulation is worse.

Back